CNN falls to third place in prime time news

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
I think this just goes to show that most people are idiots. After all, they elected G. W. Bush not once, but twice.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I think that this just goes to show that the more that you "appeal to the base" the more effective you can be at drawing in a loyal audience.

Those of us that are willing to listen to both sides of an issue and then decide which one makes more sense have no time to listen to those that will tell us only one side and can never admit to being on the wrong side.

/agree I can't watch FOX or MSNBC.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
So I guess we can put an end to the endless shrieking about the so-called "Liberal MSM," right guys? Conservatives and Republicans have the most-watched cable news channel.

Yeah, one whole channel against all the others.

Apparently, you missed the part where FNC has more viewers than MSNBC and CNN combined? Figures. Not to mention that there's now a channel that fits most everyone's partisan flavor: Fox on the right, CNN for the moderates and MSNBC for the left.

So basically, you've got Fox opposing MSNBC at opposite ends of the political spectrum and CNN holding the middle ground.

So uh, wait. What was your complaint again?
What about ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS??

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: IamDavid
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
Fox is the best. I hate watching propaganda filled "news". Say what ya want but Fox is the least biased. Granted that's not saying much.
Can't remember the last time I watched the crap on MSNBC. CNN lost it's appeal when it started adding commentaries instead on the news.

I about spewed my coffee all over my laptop when reading this. MSNBC may be total crap as far as the propaganda in their editorial programs, but FOX really takes the cake. I would normally spout something about facts sometimes having a liberal bias, but I don't think that it does FOX justice. These guys would put Goebbels to shame.

Editorial programs? Isn't the whole channel editorial? That's the problem. I like to form my own opinions. Not have some jackass tell me his. Yes, I agree FOX has many of the same issues but at least the tell u up front about it.

They don't tell you upfront about it anymore than the other 24hr 'news' networks do. They claim to be 'fair and balanced' yet are the most sensational and one-sided of its peers. If you do not see that FOX is one of the worst offenders of spewing propaganda with its coverage, then you have already let them decide for you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
So I guess we can put an end to the endless shrieking about the so-called "Liberal MSM," right guys? Conservatives and Republicans have the most-watched cable news channel.

Apparently, you missed the part where FNC has more viewers than MSNBC and CNN combined? Figures. Not to mention that there's now a channel that fits most everyone's partisan flavor: Fox on the right, CNN for the moderates and MSNBC for the left.

So basically, you've got Fox opposing MSNBC at opposite ends of the political spectrum and CNN holding the middle ground.

Those 4 networks aren't liberal. (PBS!?!!?! Only the truly crazed right wing ideologues would consider PBS 'liberally biased')

Seriously Pro-Jo, did you ever stop and think for a minute that the people giving you this information are claiming that pretty much every news organization on the planet is biased against you? Doesn't that seem a little far fetched to you?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Those 4 networks aren't liberal. (PBS!?!!?! Only the truly crazed right wing ideologues would consider PBS 'liberally biased')

Seriously Pro-Jo, did you ever stop and think for a minute that the people giving you this information are claiming that pretty much every news organization on the planet is biased against you? Doesn't that seem a little far fetched to you?

Not only far-fetched, but bad business too. Given how evenly split this country is, for every single news outlet to be biased against conservatives/Republicans just doesn't make financial sense.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Fox is the best. I hate watching propaganda filled "news". Say what ya want but Fox is the least biased. Granted that's not saying much.
Can't remember the last time I watched the crap on MSNBC. CNN lost it's appeal when it started adding commentaries instead on the news.

lol, wow. :beer: hahahahaha

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004

Are you serious?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
So I guess we can put an end to the endless shrieking about the so-called "Liberal MSM," right guys? Conservatives and Republicans have the most-watched cable news channel, 95% of the entire AM spectrum, approximately 1/2 of the big newspapers, and at least 1/2 of the blogosphere. Although, without the MSM to bash constantly, I have no idea what the GOP will have to talk about...

You confuse the number of viewers with the number of media outlets.

The only thing the number of viewers may demonstrate is that the 'Liberal MSM' is not as popular with viewers. It has no bearing on whether there is a 'Liberal MSM'.

I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as 'prime time', but to attribute CNN's poor ratings to running 'straight' news is dubious. Fox has 2 'straight' news shows during what I believe to be prime time. IIRC, MSNBC has none.

Fern

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

Are you serious?

Yes I am. I think Bill O tells everyone at least once a week he is not in the business of reporting news. He bloviates his own opinion. As does the rest of the talking heads of fox. MSNBC and CNN on the other hand still try hiding there views. Fox news isn't perfect by no means, to me they are a little less evil than the rest?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Seems to me the repubs in general, but especially so the dyed-in-the-wool far righties, are still walking around in a daze with open wounds and battered egos rained down on them from the beating they got in the last elections.

Naturally, a lot of them are looking for some salve to dress their wounds with and comforting reassuring words to sooth their souls and make them feel all better to know that there is still a place for them in the world.

FOX knows this, and are giving them a safe quiet harbor to wait out the Dem stirred storm crashing in around them.

What better time could there be to reaffirm and ingrain the propaganda that Murdock wants to fill their heads with, with an audience that is at present more than eager and more than receptive to the conditioning process?

*edit* - After re-reading this post of mine I kind of had a laugh at myself for framing it the way I did, but decided to leave it unedited because I think there's some truth to it.;)

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
http://www.chron.com/disp/stor.../politics/6346592.html

Through Wednesday, Fox was averaging 2.73 million prime-time viewers in March. MSNBC had 1.16 million and CNN had 1.14 million. The March ratings period ends Friday, and it's doubtful CNN will be able to overcome MSNBC.

Quality news need not be shown apparently. Amusing that Olbermann and O'Reilly are on at the same time. Maybe they can switch channels for a day. :p

This is why we need to pass the fairness doctrine! Those fox reporters should be required to listen to liberal news!!

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
We live in a primitive and backward country where Neanderthal thinking is still very common and where being an ignorant idiot is still very popular and praiseworthy. It isn't unusual to suppose that in a nation of emotionally backward chimps that a TV station that plays to the least common denominator, the lowest emotional sentiments, would be very popular.

I don't watch the news very much because I spend my time in the stone age playing WOW, but when I watch News, I rather enjoy Fox. I especially like O'Reilly because he's morally contemptuous of everybody as well he should be in a nation full of apes. Sometimes it's nice to just be an animal and lash out at everything. It's not easy remembering we have all been forgiven and not a single person anywhere is to blame. You don't blame people who sleep for twitching and you can't blame apes for being apes. But it is easier to remember that with the TV off.

No self-hate?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: silverpig
Is it possible for you guys to get the BBC or the CBC down there?

CBC?? Not a chance for the vast majority of the US, aside from those parts that can receive signals directly from Canada. BBCA has no terrestrial broadcasts in the US as far as I know.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
http://www.chron.com/disp/stor.../politics/6346592.html

Through Wednesday, Fox was averaging 2.73 million prime-time viewers in March. MSNBC had 1.16 million and CNN had 1.14 million. The March ratings period ends Friday, and it's doubtful CNN will be able to overcome MSNBC.

Quality news need not be shown apparently. Amusing that Olbermann and O'Reilly are on at the same time. Maybe they can switch channels for a day. :p

This is why we need to pass the fairness doctrine! Those fox reporters should be required to listen to liberal news!!

Is my sarcasm meter broken?

/resisting urge to clarify....fairness....doctrine....

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

BBC?

Yeah, we can get that.

I get it on satellite.

(CBC, no like MT says)

Fern

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Fern

BBC?

Yeah, we can get that.

I get it on satellite.

(CBC, no like MT says)

Fern

We get it on sattelite too, but unfortunately it is a 'premium' channel. I for one would like to have another network broadcasting terrestrially, and the BBC would be pretty awesome. Unfortunately, it ain't gonna happen. :(

Generator

Mar 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I don't watch the news very much because I spend my time in the stone age playing WOW, but when I watch News, I rather enjoy Fox. I especially like O'Reilly because he's morally contemptuous of everybody as well he should be in a nation full of apes. Sometimes it's nice to just be an animal and lash out at everything. It's not easy remembering we have all been forgiven and not a single person anywhere is to blame. You don't blame people who sleep for twitching and you can't blame apes for being apes. But it is easier to remember that with the TV off.

lol good stuff.

I mostly been watching MSNBC since Palin has shown up. Most of stuff I hear on that channel is stuff I want to hear. So with that being said I make a habit of visiting CNN and Fox, especially Fox to get a laugh but still get a broader perspective.

Of the 3 Fox has the shittiest product. The color, the flash, its so generic lol. Hell they got one show where they just do a show in the back with a bunch of people at computers. I bet it smells of ass in there!

The fox pundits are such rabid loons. Its sooooo partisan. I mean their not even trying. This Glenn Beck shits his pants every day. I love to see the mania on his face!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

you're crazy......right?

not discounting the rest of the news bias...but such a comment lacks a certain reflective, analytical ability that....frightens me. Ol man Rupert himself freely admits his desire to appeal to the partisan whacks. They were paying him long before he established a cable news network.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

PBS?

WTF???

are you afraid of learning?

figures.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
I never really got the whole MSM liberal bias thing. Some people here actually think there's a vast conspiracy between all the media outlets, except Fox news, to portray liberal-leaning news? WTF would be the purpose of that or what the hell do they have to gain by doing that?

And to those saying PBS, are you serious?

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: MovingTarget

CBC?? Not a chance for the vast majority of the US, aside from those parts that can receive signals directly from Canada. BBCA has no terrestrial broadcasts in the US as far as I know.

That's too bad. I think a lot of Americans would benefit from having exposure to the CBC. There's a decent amount of US related news on there.

CBC and BBC seem very straight laced to me. The US news networks almost make me feel like I'm watching Entertainment Tonight or something (especially Nancy Grace).

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Personally, BBC > CNN > MSNBC > FOX.

For pure entertainment purposes Stewart and Colbert are pretty dam funny while semi-informative.