CNN Coorespondant Gupta Performs Emergency Surgery in Iraq

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Actually later in the day he performed a Frontal Lobotomy on an American Civilian who was going insane. When asked to comment after the Frontal Lobotomy the American Citizen muttered "Either you are Pro War or you are Pro Saddam"

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Actually later in the day he performed a Frontal Lobotomy on an American Civilian who was going insane. When asked to comment after the Frontal Lobotomy the American Citizen muttered "Either you are Pro War or you are Pro Saddam"

Hey, that is our president you're making fun of!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BDawg

Hahaha..now I'm not. He's not a Civilian anyway.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
I find it slightly disturbing that he's being at all criticized for it. Isn't there a code that doctor's take that says they'll help anyone anywhere anytime? Maybe that died a while ago, I don't know.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ConclamoLudus
I find it slightly disturbing that he's being at all criticized for it. Isn't there a code that doctor's take that says they'll help anyone anywhere anytime? Maybe that died a while ago, I don't know.

No....it's just the media trying to drum up some sort of controversy to boost ratings.

But, Gupta was quoted as saying he was performing an 'heroic' operation. WTF? Patting himself on the back?
rolleye.gif
Not very humble, is he?

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur

No....it's just the media trying to drum up some sort of controversy to boost ratings.

But, Gupta was quoted as saying he was performing an 'heroic' operation. WTF? Patting himself on the back?
rolleye.gif
Not very humble, is he?

I think he was using heroic do describe more the scope and urgency of the task.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Well if you can imagine how about 98% of all journalists in the world feel about being upstaged by this guy.

The doctrine of journalists is to respond to pleas for help with dumb looks and keep filming.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur

rolleye.gif
Not very humble, is he?

thats not what he said on CNN. he said is was morally and medically the right thing to do, and that despite his and the devil docs' best efforts the child died.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix

thats not what he said on CNN. he said is was morally and medically the right thing to do, and that despite his and the devil docs' best efforts the child died.
From the link above:
"Medically and morally, I thought it was absolutely the right thing to do," Gupta said. "It was a heroic ? it was not an elective operation, it was a heroic attempt to try to save the child's life."

I'm not saying what he did wasn't noble...but to seemingly brag about it? Or maybe he just used the wrong word? Guess I'm making too much out of it...<shrug>

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I think he was caught up in the moment . . . I don't know his credentials but clearly he's been out of circulation for awhile.

The opposite of elective is emergency NOT heroic. He's faculty/staff at Emory but he's going to lose his hospital privileges if he doesn't spend more time there instead of trotting around Kuwait, Iraq, or CNN studios. The best are the best b/c they operate . . . a lot . . .

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001

Actually, the President is the civilian head of the military that is how the Founding Father's set it up.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: PELarson

Actually, the President is the civilian head of the military that is how the Founding Father's set it up.

Where did you get that? He is Commander in Chief of the armed forces = non-civilian IIRC

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
reference for civilian head of US Military

"This arrangement ensures that the civilian chief
executive stands at the head of the military chain of command; through
command authority, he ensures civilian control over the making of
military policy.

Civilian control not only guards against military subversion,
it recognizes that military strategy is a servant of national
political goals established by the civilian government. President
Woodrow Wilson once summarized this idea in noting that the Founding