CNN Bias Again?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Never said a barrier was not a deterrent. I also said that I think we should increase the size of the current physical borders we have now. What you are saying is that building a wall along the entire border is justified because of things like lower crime and tax savings. You then said that you were unsure if a physical barrier would be more efficient than the other things I listed.

I'm not one of the people here that are attacking your positions simply because they are your positions. I'm here actually debating you on your position. Dismiss me if you wish, but, lose all pretense of having a valid position if you do.

I am not sure if a wall across the entire border is required, but maintaining and improving what we have, lengthening it where needed is a bare minimum. If it comes down to it being across the entire border, then that may be the case.

I do not know or claim to know if the money would be best spent on the wall or refined immigration policy. But, I think we need both.

What are you debating exactly if you agree that a wall would in fact be a deterrent and we both agree that a streamlined and refined immigration policy is needed?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The way I see it is the Democrats are shutting down government over $5.7 billion dollars to be used for exactly what they said they needed in the past. Amazing, you blame Trump.

What is also funny is how you continually tell me how wrong and stupid I am, yet you just can't resist replying to me. Like maybe what I say makes sense and fractures your delicate bubble. I mean, if my posts were so off certainly you could leave them alone and they'd just fall into nothingness. Well, thank you for staying on topic finally, at least.

Democrats? Wtf?
What changed? Trump had the house for two years. Couldnt pass shit, cause senate (republicans in senate mind you). Now Dems control house ......... And the wall is THEIR fault suddenly? What is wrong with you? Are you ok? Are you hurt? Do you need a doctor?

Second. Of course a wall works to some extent.. Thats not the fucking point you &%¤%(/%&&¤... Its a question about where you get the MOST border security for the dollar.. and in that regards a WALL is fcking RETARDED. Yea Trump campaigned on it. He campaigned on a *retarded* wall. SURPRISE .. Its still retarded. Dems would have to look them selves in the mirror and go "Ok, lets go full retard cause Trump holds gov hostage."
Trump is literally holding gov hostage cause he wants to WASTE tax dollars. Why? Cause narcissistic ego. Thats why.

ps. did you get the memo about all the bad guys actually coming over the Canadian border and not the Mexican one? Its like 1 to 10! ...

Retarded.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You're right, I don't know why. They should have done so, it was the time to get it passed. Maybe they felt they wouldn't have enough votes at any rate then too. Maybe Trump is just bending the new Democrat heavy congress over his knee and showing them he's still boss. I really don't know. What do you think?

What is important is where we are today, though. Today this is the issue shutting down the government. Will Democrats continue to obstruct over $5.7 billion dollars for something they themselves said we need in the past? I mean, that could be why too... maybe Trump thought the Democrats wanted the wall since so many of them said so in the past?

So dishonest. Trump said he'd own this shutdown, remember?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That addresses border apprehensions. Bigger picture is total illegal immigrants residing in the US year by year. It has declined since 2005 by 1.5 million, going from 12.2 million to 10.7 million. Essentially all of that decline is Mexicans. Which I assume that given the lower number of border crossings over time, more have been going back than have been coming in. These declines have continued through 2015 and 2016, but I can't find data for 2017-18.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/11/28/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

I'm in favor of tight border security. Yet it seems our security is tight enough that our population of illegal immigrants has been in the decline for over a decade now. Not only do we not need a wall, I'm not so sure we really need any more security than what we have now.

I agree, the case for any increased border security spending at this point is very weak. Crime is low in border adjacent areas, the number of illegal crossings is low, and we see a declining number of illegal immigrants.

There are so many better things we could spend our money on.

Feb 4, 2009
I am not sure if a wall across the entire border is required, but maintaining and improving what we have, lengthening it where needed is a bare minimum. If it comes down to it being across the entire border, then that may be the case.

I do not know or claim to know if the money would be best spent on the wall or refined immigration policy. But, I think we need both.

What are you debating exactly if you agree that a wall would in fact be a deterrent and we both agree that a streamlined and refined immigration policy is needed?

What you describe was offered to the President 2 years ago during the first Chuck & Nancy meet up at the White House.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
So you approve of Presidents handling things the way Trump is handling this? Because it certainly seems something thats going to bite you in the ass later if theres a president for this process.

It's his best possible response.

Mar 11, 2004
Well its nice that they can depend on him to try and run their disinformation campaign. You can tell this is important though as I don't think he was as aggressive in defending the Kavanaugh shitshow. Been awhile since he's been so insistent on arguing minor stupid bullshit to try and distract from the glaring sack of shit he's trying to gild and claim its the best thing ever.

Makes me laugh though how he says "I don't get why the wall is a big deal" but then proceeds to defend it like his life depends on it. Can you imagine what he'd be like if it was something he actually felt strongly about?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The Latest: Trump not ready to declare emergency over wall

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...H5J?li=BBnb7Kz

The longer he waits to declare an emergency, the less it looks like an emergency.

Then again, he's already waited 2 years..So "emergency" not found

Of course. Once Trump declares an emergency there's no reason for the Senate not to pass the bill the Dems sent them & for Trump not to sign it. The fight would move to the federal courts where he doesn't have a prayer of winning. He's not giving up the hostages just yet, however.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Of course. Once Trump declares an emergency there's no reason for the Senate not to pass the bill the Dems sent them & for Trump not to sign it. The fight would move to the federal courts where he doesn't have a prayer of winning. He's not giving up the hostages just yet, however.

And...Not to mention, Democrats already, earlier this year, offered exactly what Trump wants, in exchange for a continuation of a policy that's popular among something like 80% of the population, and that still wasn't good enough. What the fuck do Republicans think negotiations looks like? The "dealmaker" can't deal his way out of a wet paper bag

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I'm surprised no one brought this up but Israel took 10 years to build less than 300 miles of wall.

Supposedly this immigration issue is a hair away from being a national emergency. So we are looking at, what? 60 years for this wall to be completed? Wow! Way to advert a crisis!!

LOL!

I don't want to call trump, trump supporters, and slowspyder, the biggest fucking idiots on the planet but God damn! Trump, his supporters, and slowspyder are the biggest fucking idiots I've ever seen!!

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
A take on our current need for the wall:

$

And as further proof for the need to declare an emergency:

$

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The notion of a wall stretching from Brownsville to San Diego is the most idiotic, obscene, arrogant and undiplomatic gesture in human history.

The walls currently in place are mostly in locations of high population density where one would expect an abundance of opportunities for illegal crossings. It was demonstrated recently in a briefing to the [so-called] President and to his embarrassment that the same tunnels used by drug smugglers for decades can be built under these walls.

If you look at the map, there is a National Park (Big Bend), a National Monument (Organ Pipe), a wildlife refuge (Cabeza Prieta) on the border between Texas and Yuma. There is also an indian reservation (the Tohono O'odham nation or tribe) which straddles the border. Reservations have rights negotiated with the government that make them almost autonomous states under their relationship with department of Interior, and in this particular case, we're talking about an indian tribe with citizens who are either American, Mexican or both, able to cross the international boundary freely.

If you think it's OK for the government to put up a barrier at Terlingua Abaja and Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend, I'm sure that the eco-terrorist group Earth First! will consider dynamiting it, and I will cheer them on. Same for Organ Pipe; same for Cabeza Prieta.

The wall that Trump envisions is a 2,000 mile scar across the land that isn't necessary. It would be a hubristic testament to Trump's "greatness" as a builder. It would be an affront to all the Latin peoples of the Americas, and an ecological disaster. The reason Trump and the Base accept it as a good idea is their sociopathic sense of racism, coupled with a lack of appreciation for the Sonoran Desert as a natural wonder. They want to impose this monstrosity on an entire region -- our Southwest -- with its cultural, historical and natural heritage. The wall will do irreparable damage.

As reported constantly by our own government agencies, the drug traffic comes mostly through ports of entry; illegal entry from possible terror suspects occurs at airports; a good deal of illegal entries arise from expired visas.

You can place sensors all along the border -- a technology developed through our decades of war in the middle east and Afghanistan. Border Patrol helicopters respond quickly to any sign of human movement across the border. Indeed, one such helicopter descended on my hiking party in 2003 simply because one of our camp stoves was belching smoke. These simple facts in our midst and the longstanding existence of the technologies only prove that Trump wants the wall as a monument to his name and a sop to his Base for his ludicrous campaign promise, in which "Mexico would pay for the wall." Now, Trump desperately suggests some ephemeral sleight of hand -- his outrageous imagination -- that somehow the renegotiated trade agreement with Mexico will somehow "pay" for the wall. But since Mexico also has an interest or regard for the land along the border, let them write a check. We know, of course, that they won't.

Then, of course, there is the matter of eminent domain and the privately-owned lands along the border. None or few if any of those citizens want a wall in their back yard.

There will be no wall, or if there is -- I predict consequences. There will only be the self-destruction of a dangerous and toxic presidency -- if the republic even survives it.

For that, I will be more eager in my Christmas wish for 2019: a grand re-make of the Zapruder film -- if Trump has any success at all in obtaining his wall. And I will hope that Earth First! will plant the charges and push the button.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So, to summarize this thread:

1) CNN is biased and prefers to air anti-Trump stories.

2) We have at least one real world example where, in a similar situation, a wall helped lower illegal immigration by 99%. This is a fact.

3) Liberals in this thread don't think that a wall would work here despite working in other countries, but know for a fact gun control will work here because it has worked in other countries by their measure.

Reactions: cytg111

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So, to summarize this thread:

1) CNN is biased and prefers to air anti-Trump stories.

2) We have at least one real world example where, in a similar situation, a wall helped lower illegal immigration by 99%. This is a fact.

3) Liberals in this thread don't think that a wall would work here despite working in other countries, but know for a fact gun control will work here because it has worked in other countries by their measure.

If you’re wondering why people call you a liar it’s for things like this.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This is a video from Mark Dice, I use him on this because his video is the most complete. He is a far rightie anti-liberal, and I do not agree with everything he does, but in this particular instance he did a great job. If you care to watch the video showing CNN going out of their way to make Trump look bad, here it is.
quote from that very story
The move got Trump some laughs, and a smile from Abe, who actually appeared to dump out his box of food ahead of Trump.

Also your guy claimed CNN edited the clip. The person who took the video of Trump zoomed in on his face. They had no idea Trump was going to dump his box of food at the time. It was not a CNN edit.

I will give you one point the story title was misleading. On a scale of the media trying to make Trump look bad its a 1 out of 10 at best. If this is your sole source of media Trump bias its really weak. Nothing on the level of Fox News promoting birtherism which was an outright lie. Not whataboutism but just a comparison

Reactions: darkswordsman17