CNN Bias Again?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Who gives a shit about walls in Israel? I showed you facts about US walls in America, right now.

Our own government says it is ineffective. It is common sense not to waste billions of dollars on something that is ineffective.

So, walls that work perfectly in similar situations for other countries, you are sure won't work here. But on the other hand you know gun control will work here because it has worked in other nations. You da man, bro.

ZW3spYq.jpg

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
But on the other hand you know gun control will work here because it has worked in other nations. You da man, bro.

Look at it this way. If Trump is successful with an emergency order then the next President he will take our guns, to give them back once the crisis is over, AKA never. Everything you fear you can unleash on yourself. But you'll have your wall.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
To me the wall is part of immigration policy.

You were willing to differentiate before, but, not now? Do you think the funds you specified are best spent on a wall, or, in areas like more immigration staff, more facilities, different policies?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So, walls that work perfectly in similar situations for other countries, you are sure won't work here. But on the other hand you know gun control will work here because it has worked in other nations. You da man, bro.

We have large amounts of empirical evidence that shows a wall in the US does not work and that gun control in the US does work. I have linked both cases to you several times. This is why people call you a liar, you cannot be this stupid, the only answer is that you are being dishonest.

Speaking of mental gymnastics, it is frankly hilarious that in order to avoid admitting the wall is a stupid idea you ignore the effectiveness of walls in the country you want to build it in and instead look on the other side of the planet at a wall 1/10th the size.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You were willing to differentiate before, but, not now? Do you think the funds you specified are best spent on a wall, or, in areas like more immigration staff, more facilities, different policies?

Ultimately I think we need both. A border wall to help stop and deter illegal crossings and an improved and streamlined method of getting good people that want to be citizens into this country. I really don't know which one would be more fruitful, or the money be better spent. I'm for the money being spent in both places. But all indications are that the wall would provide great benefit.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
We have large amounts of empirical evidence that shows a wall in the US does not work and that gun control in the US does work. I have linked both cases to you several times. This is why people call you a liar, you cannot be this stupid, the only answer is that you are being dishonest.

Speaking of mental gymnastics, it is frankly hilarious that in order to avoid admitting the wall is a stupid idea you ignore the effectiveness of walls in the country you want to build it in and instead look on the other side of the planet at a wall 1/10th the size.

We don't have empirical evidence that the wall does not work because a wall of this magnitude has never been built on our border with Mexico. That along with comprehensive immigration reform is exactly what we need.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Look at it this way. If Trump is successful with an emergency order then the next President he will take our guns, to give them back once the crisis is over, AKA never. Everything you fear you can unleash on yourself. But you'll have your wall.

There isn't a roll eyes reply adequate for this drivel you've posted.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
There isn't a roll eyes reply adequate for this drivel you've posted.
So you approve of Presidents handling things the way Trump is handling this? Because it certainly seems something thats going to bite you in the ass later if theres a president for this process.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We don't have empirical evidence that the wall does not work because a wall of this magnitude has never been built on our border with Mexico. That along with comprehensive immigration reform is exactly what we need.

Ahahahahaha. ‘We should build the wall because there’s no evidence it won’t work. The only way you can say the wall doesn’t work is by building the wall and seeing it doesn’t work’.

That’s some amazing circular reasoning right there.

It is common sense to look at other walls that have been previously built on the US/Mexico border to inform our judgment as to if this one will work. All the evidence says it will not. Common sense says don’t do things that are expensive and ineffective.

It’s important to reason logically and not emotionally. Take a deep breath, step back, and apply your brain.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Already asked him that, he doesn't have an answer.

The reason republicans didn’t appropriate money for the wall when they controlled the government is that they know it’s a stupid idea. That’s the same reason they won’t make compromises to get it either. They know it has no value so they won’t give up anything for it.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ultimately I think we need both. A border wall to help stop and deter illegal crossings and an improved and streamlined method of getting good people that want to be citizens into this country. I really don't know which one would be more fruitful, or the money be better spent. I'm for the money being spent in both places. But all indications are that the wall would provide great benefit.

How can you say that the wall would be a great benefit, which would require a cost benefit, but not know the cost benefit of a wall vs the other things I mentioned?

Either you dont know the costs/benefits and you cant say, or, you do know them to a point where you can say that it would provide a "great benefit".

Which is it?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Already asked him that, he doesn't have an answer.

You're right, I don't know why. They should have done so, it was the time to get it passed. Maybe they felt they wouldn't have enough votes at any rate then too. Maybe Trump is just bending the new Democrat heavy congress over his knee and showing them he's still boss. I really don't know. What do you think?

What is important is where we are today, though. Today this is the issue shutting down the government. Will Democrats continue to obstruct over $5.7 billion dollars for something they themselves said we need in the past? I mean, that could be why too... maybe Trump thought the Democrats wanted the wall since so many of them said so in the past?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Who cares? The f-n government is shut down because of Republican wall tantrum. You are worried about what's on CNN?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ahahahahaha. ‘We should build the wall because there’s no evidence it won’t work. The only way you can say the wall doesn’t work is by building the wall and seeing it doesn’t work’.

That’s some amazing circular reasoning right there.

It is common sense to look at other walls that have been previously built on the US/Mexico border to inform our judgment as to if this one will work. All the evidence says it will not. Common sense says don’t do things that are expensive and ineffective.

It’s important to reason logically and not emotionally. Take a deep breath, step back, and apply your brain.

I've provided you real world PROOF that a wall does and can work if it is built long enough and tall enough. What you have are what if, what could be thinking exercises. Israel reduced illegal immigration 99% with updated policy and a long, tall, stout wall. That is FACT, 100% FACT.

Also, as I mentioned above, you claim things like gun control will work here because it worked in other countries. Yet you claim a wall won't work here when it has worked very, very well in at least one other country with very similar circumstances in actual practice.

You sir are a partisan cuck idiot. Normally you say some things that can make one pause to think a bit, but today you're in full retard mode. Nothing you have provided to this thread is anything more than emotional based arguments of what you want to be true. You really, really need to do something about your TDS.

Lastly, don't forget, CNN is way fucking biased. Like you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You're right, I don't know why. They should have done so, it was the time to get it passed. Maybe they felt they wouldn't have enough votes at any rate then too. Maybe Trump is just bending the new Democrat heavy congress over his knee and showing them he's still boss. I really don't know. What do you think?

What is important is where we are today, though. Today this is the issue shutting down the government. Will Democrats continue to obstruct over $5.7 billion dollars for something they themselves said we need in the past? I mean, that could be why too... maybe Trump thought the Democrats wanted the wall since so many of them said so in the past?

The government is only shut down because of Trump. Any time he wishes to reopen it he can. Democrats can and will continue to deny all of his requests that come as part of him taking the basic functions of government hostage. You will thank them in the future for standing up for what’s right.

If Trump wants to leave the government shut down for the next two years that’s fine by me, it will just guarantee he loses in 2020. He has no cards to play here and so if Democrats are smart they will teach him a lesson he won’t forget.

Reactions: Vic

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
How can you say that the wall would be a great benefit, which would require a cost benefit, but not know the cost benefit of a wall vs the other things I mentioned?

Either you dont know the costs/benefits and you cant say, or, you do know them to a point where you can say that it would provide a "great benefit".

Which is it?

Look, I'm not falling for this. It is common sense that a barrier is a deterrent to simply strolling across a border that has no safeguards. The cost of the wall doesn't sound like very much at all in the grand scheme of things, yet the cost to society of illegal immigration is tangible. I know of some people that would love to have stronger border security and better vetting processes for immigration. You can dismiss them if you want, but I won't.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The government is only shut down because of Trump. Any time he wishes to reopen it he can. Democrats can and will continue to deny all of his requests that come as part of him taking the basic functions of government hostage. You will thank them in the future for standing up for what’s right.

If Trump wants to leave the government shut down for the next two years that’s fine by me, it will just guarantee he loses in 2020. He has no cards to play here and so if Democrats are smart they will teach him a lesson he won’t forget.

The way I see it is the Democrats are shutting down government over $5.7 billion dollars to be used for exactly what they said they needed in the past. Amazing, you blame Trump.

What is also funny is how you continually tell me how wrong and stupid I am, yet you just can't resist replying to me. Like maybe what I say makes sense and fractures your delicate bubble. I mean, if my posts were so off certainly you could leave them alone and they'd just fall into nothingness. Well, thank you for staying on topic finally, at least.

*edit - Remember, gun control good because it worked in other countries, wall bad because it worked for other countries. Brilliant.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I've provided you real world PROOF that a wall does and can work if it is built long enough and tall enough. What you have are what if, what could be thinking exercises. Israel reduced illegal immigration 99% with updated policy and a long, tall, stout wall. That is FACT, 100% FACT.

Also, as I mentioned above, you claim things like gun control will work here because it worked in other countries. Yet you claim a wall won't work here when it has worked very, very well in at least one other country with very similar circumstances in actual practice.

That something works in other countries is most certainly evidence that it could work here. You know what is much better evidence for if something could work here though? If it worked here, haha!

We tried the wall thing and it was a failure. It is common sense not to keep enacting policies that are failures. You can rant all you want about it but facts don’t care about your feelings.

You sir are a partisan cuck idiot. Normally you say some things that can make one pause to think a bit, but today you're in full retard mode. Nothing you have provided to this thread is anything more than emotional based arguments of what you want to be true. You really, really need to do something about your TDS.

Lastly, don't forget, CNN is way fucking biased. Like you.

There’s no need to get angry just because you’ve embarrassed yourself here. There’s also no point in insulting me or trying to bait me because it’s impossible for you to make me angry.

I’ve provided empirical evidence that the wall is a dumb idea and you’re mad that you can’t refute it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The way I see it is the Democrats are shutting down government over $5.7 billion dollars to be used for exactly what they said they needed in the past. Amazing, you blame Trump.

Trump himself said he was to blame for the shutdown. Are you saying he was lying?

What is also funny is how you continually tell me how wrong and stupid I am, yet you just can't resist replying to me. Like maybe what I say makes sense and fractures your delicate bubble. I mean, if my posts were so off certainly you could leave them alone and they'd just fall into nothingness. Well, thank you for staying on topic finally, at least.

*edit - Remember, gun control good because it worked in other countries, wall bad because it worked for other countries. Brilliant.

As I’ve told you before I personally enjoy dunking on stupid people with strong opinions such as yourself. It’s fun for me!

You can try and convince yourself you’re in my head or whatever if that makes you feel like less of a failure and less emasculated but in your heart you know it’s not true. Honestly I think it’s a fair assessment to say that the enjoyment I get out of making you look dumb is a character flaw of mine and so if you wanted to criticize me for that it’s probably warranted. The idea that I’m scared of the truths presented by your bulletproof logic though? Hahaha. Come on man.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Look, I'm not falling for this. It is common sense that a barrier is a deterrent to simply strolling across a border that has no safeguards. The cost of the wall doesn't sound like very much at all in the grand scheme of things, yet the cost to society of illegal immigration is tangible. I know of some people that would love to have stronger border security and better vetting processes for immigration. You can dismiss them if you want, but I won't.

Never said a barrier was not a deterrent. I also said that I think we should increase the size of the current physical borders we have now. What you are saying is that building a wall along the entire border is justified because of things like lower crime and tax savings. You then said that you were unsure if a physical barrier would be more efficient than the other things I listed.

I'm not one of the people here that are attacking your positions simply because they are your positions. I'm here actually debating you on your position. Dismiss me if you wish, but, lose all pretense of having a valid position if you do.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Lol. Its almost like you believe that.

Only Trump can shut the government down, and he can start it up again as soon as he stops having his tantrums.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
From your own link:

border-apprehensions2.jpg

Illegal immigration is way, way down.

That addresses border apprehensions. Bigger picture is total illegal immigrants residing in the US year by year. It has declined since 2005 by 1.5 million, going from 12.2 million to 10.7 million. Essentially all of that decline is Mexicans. Which I assume that given the lower number of border crossings over time, more have been going back than have been coming in. These declines have continued through 2015 and 2016, but I can't find data for 2017-18.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/11/28/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

I'm in favor of tight border security. Yet it seems our security is tight enough that our population of illegal immigrants has been in the decline for over a decade now. Not only do we not need a wall, I'm not so sure we really need any more security than what we have now.