CNN Bias Again?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
How long is the border with Mexico exactly anyway?

Maintaining a physical barrier that a lot of people will want to destroy along all that is going to cost a shit ton of money!

Building it costs a shit ton, maintaining it will cost a shot ton, staffing it will cost a shit ton.

Guys, we have roads that go along the border, strips of concrete lying flat going for thousands of miles... this isn't an engineering marvel to build a long wall, and if built and planned for right, maintenance could probably be pretty inexpensive (relatively speaking).

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Guys, we have roads that go along the border, strips of concrete lying flat going for thousands of miles... this isn't an engineering marvel to build a long wall, and if built and planned for right, maintenance could probably be pretty inexpensive (relatively speaking).

This is absurd. The cost per mile of a wall vs a asphalt laying on the ground is amazingly different.

For example, did you know that a road that goes over water will cost many times more than similar sized road on the ground?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This is absurd. The cost per mile of a wall vs a asphalt laying on the ground is amazingly different.

For example, did you know that a road that goes over water will cost many times more than similar sized road on the ground?

Of course the costs are different, but what I'm getting at is we can build strips of concrete that go for thousands of miles, not just on the border but crisscrossing our nation even. I think the cost won't be that bad relative to what the project is. It is crazy to me that people think a physical barrier is such a bad idea on a border where we do have a problem with illegal crossings...

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So how much are both of the options going to cost?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Of course the costs are different, but what I'm getting at is we can build strips of concrete that go for thousands of miles, not just on the border but crisscrossing our nation even. I think the cost won't be that bad relative to what the project is. It is crazy to me that people think a physical barrier is such a bad idea on a border where we do have a problem with illegal crossings...

What are you basing this on? The cost for a stretch of wall will be drastically more expensive than an asphalt road.

Lets go by a fox link.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tru...ill-actually-cost-according-to-a-statistician

The Trump administration wants to enforce border security with a combination of a physical wall and natural barriers that would protect the estimated 1,933 miles-long border between the United States and Mexico. Many different cost estimates have been thrown around, from as little as $8 billion to as much as $70 billion, with anywhere from $150 million per year to $750 million per year in maintenance.

Thats right, 8-70 Billion dollars just to build. 150-750 million to maintain.

How much might we benefit with that amount of money put into more staff to process immigrants?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
The numbers I've seen are ~$25 billion. Trump is asking for funds that shouldn't even be an issue, but obstructionists obstruct.
Why didn't he ask for this money when Repubs controlled the entire government? Who was obstructing him then? Wasn't it just as big a crisis then?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
CNN is biased because they report facts instead of propaganda.
Maybe once in a great while they make a genuine mistake, but thats not the same thing as reporting lies as if they were facts to sensationalize the news and improve ad revenue. Sadly that is becoming the norm for too many news agencies. Which makes me super sad.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
What are you basing this on? The cost for a stretch of wall will be drastically more expensive than an asphalt road.

Lets go by a fox link.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tru...ill-actually-cost-according-to-a-statistician

Thats right, 8-70 Billion dollars just to build. 150-750 million to maintain.

How much might we benefit with that amount of money put into more staff to process immigrants?

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/4/18125661/trump-immigration-data-fact-check

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...-illegal-immigration-cost-america-not-n950981

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...-trumps-false-claim-about-cost-illegal-immig/

Even left news sites claim the cost to society of illegal immigrants is anywhere between ~$50-$113 billion a year depending on the source. So let's go on the light side and say it is "only" $50 billion. If the wall prevents even 10% of that per year, it is paying for itself... hell, it could stop 5% and still save money. On the other side let's say the numbers are closer to $100 billion plus and the wall stops more, say 25%. Simply put, the wall saves more than it costs to build and maintain even when using the most left-friendly numbers.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...-illegal-immigration-cost-america-not-n950981

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...-trumps-false-claim-about-cost-illegal-immig/

Even left news sites claim the cost to society of illegal immigrants is anywhere between ~$50-$113 billion a year depending on the source. So let's go on the light side and say it is "only" $50 billion. If the wall prevents even 10% of that per year, it is paying for itself... hell, it could stop 5% and still save money. On the other side let's say the numbers are closer to $100 billion plus and the wall stops more, say 25%. Simply put, the wall saves more than it costs to build and maintain even when using the most left-friendly numbers.
Youre using a fuck ton of assumptions to base fiscal policy on there!

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

First, that is the cost for people already here. The border wall, assuming 100% are kept out, would not save us anywhere close to that.

Second, that is only looking at the cost to the government, and is not factoring in the economic benefit those people contribute.

Your math is way off unless you factor that.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Even left news sites claim the cost to society of illegal immigrants is anywhere between ~$50-$113 billion a year depending on the source.

They didn't make those claims. They reported that those claims have been made by right wing anti immigration sources.

There is a difference.

Reactions: Meghan54

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Youre using a fuck ton of assumptions to base fiscal policy on there!

I used a lot of hypothetical numbers favoring the left that show over time we can reduce the large burden placed on tax payers if the wall can stop xx% of people coming here.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I used a lot of hypothetical numbers favoring the left that show over time we can reduce the large burden placed on tax payers if the wall can stop xx% of people coming here.

The government's own analysis shows that walls are ineffective at reducing the number of people coming here so there's no reason to believe that would happen. You're just engaging in magical thinking to avoid admitting the wall is a dumb idea.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You used made up numbers to justify something that you want? Thats what youre actually saying yes?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The government's own analysis shows that walls are ineffective at reducing the number of people coming here so there's no reason to believe that would happen. You're just engaging in magical thinking to avoid admitting the wall is a dumb idea.

I cannot believe you are arguing that a physical barrier does not deter or prevent some border crossings. But then again I'm talking to a guy that thinks someone with xy chromosomes in every living cell in their body is a female if they want to be.

Israel built a 143 mile wall, it cut illegal immigration by 99%.

Guy, this isn't rocket science, this is common sense. Tell me, if you wanted to walk off the street into someone's yard and set up shop on their front lawn, is it harder or easier if they had a barrier up and protected points of entry?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I cannot believe you are arguing that a physical barrier does not deter or prevent some border crossings. But then again I'm talking to a guy that thinks someone with xy chromosomes in every living cell in their body is a female if they want to be.

Guy, this isn't rocket science, this is common sense. Tell me, if you wanted to walk off the street into someone's yard and set up shop on their front lawn, is it harder or easier if they had a barrier up and protected points of entry?

Who gives a shit about walls in Israel? I showed you facts about US walls in America, right now.

Our own government says it is ineffective. It is common sense not to waste billions of dollars on something that is ineffective.

Feb 4, 2009

If it’s so critical why hasn’t it been done in the previous two years?
it makes zero sense that it needs to be done immediately after there is a Democrat majority in the House.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I read all of your reply, but your first paragraph in particular reeks of spoon fed propaganda and FUD. Here we have a president putting America first, fighting for better trade, protecting our intellectual property, stopping other countries from taking advantage of us. He is actively trying to increase border security and using a common sense approach to allowing whom can come into our country. How dare we want to vet those that would live here?!?!

Prominent Democrats have called for physical barriers as well, this shouldn't even be a point of contention. But it only is because Trump pushed for it, so now it is the worst thing in the world to the left and they have decided to obstruct. Today the government is shut down over a $5.7 billion dollar line in the sand that is more about ego and optics from both sides. Yet physical barriers were not controversial at all when the Democrats called for them before.

I said I'm very much for streamlining the process to become a citizen, I'm fine with dreamers staying here that are productive members of society, I couldn't care less about pushing one for English. But, I think the wall makes good sense and should be built, at least where it is most needed.

President "The buck stops with everyone", President "It's someone elses fault". The Chief of lies and deceit and now he threatens to usurp power on his own whims, which you will endorse?

So there is nothing that comes anywhere near the situation with Truman and steel mills which the SCOTUS said "no" to. That emergency powers exist is not the question, but there must be a threat not just said, but which rises to such a crisis in reality that there is no alternative but effectively usurp the role of Congress, again something that a raging war could not trigger.

So will you stand with Trump in his overreach or support our Constitution. You make your stand or excuses now. There is no "but" or "if".