CNN Bias Again?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Slow works on the principle that a lie repeated often enough becomes the truth.

I'm sure, but he never gains ground, just digs a new bottom low in credibility. There's some psychology, some need, beyond the political at work. It's fascinating to go "meta" so to speak and watch him run the maze.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I am increasingly convinced that he's not here to debate, he's here for people to engage and laugh when others become frustrated. He doen't care about fact and figures, he cares about your emotional response and those of others. I shall respond by viewing him as a bug of a noxious variety, poking at him out of nothing but an interest in his response to stimuli.

It has been abundantly clear for a very long time that he is not here to debate, haha.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I mentioned this when you did before.

If the wall was responsible for "tranquility", where precisely, was the chaos, rioting and rushing across the border in unfenced areas that day?

Hundreds rushing across at- wait there was none of that.

Sometimes I wish you had a valid point but you must choose the least rationally debatable subjects with no good basis. Trump lied about drugs coming across the border, Sanders failed to manipulate terrorism figures to support your leader. But you draw a line in the sand and dare people to cross and embrace lies for control.

I wonder what drives you to lose so badly, or perhaps what is more important than your credibility, the attraction for trolling (badly that is) or a genuine adoration for Trump? Perhaps it's that you are getting attention. You come in and know beforehand you will be seen and responded to. That it is negative is not as important as validating that others look your way. You act needy for attention, any attention and that requires professional help beyond my scope of practice.

I had respect for you, think you used to be fairly logical and not a dick just for the sake of being a dick, we didn't agree often but I thought you were at least posting with good intent and making real effort to discuss and explain your point of view. But think this is the post where that ends.

You can look the other way on human trafficking (who cares, isn't you or your family, right?), you can pick which "facts" agree with your pre-held position and champion them all you want, you can deny the real stories of angel families. Your choice, neat story bud. But what we are talking about here is 1) CNN IS biased and goes out of their way to mock and show Trump in a bad light. This is my opinion and shared by plenty of others, evidence backs this up. 2) Illegal immigration IS an issue, we have hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants apprehended a year. This has been ignored for too long in my opinion, I posted a video of facts and figures that seems to be ignored by you and others thus far.

I don't think the issue is so much that I'm a liar or a troll, but that many here don't like the reality I post as it doesn't fit in the bubble that exists here.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
You tell me.

I wonder how many broken institutions and ruined lives and succumbing of the nation to the greatest domestic threat since the Civil War is worth trading to build that wall, how many illegal crossings will justify the above.

There seems to be a disconnect between the magnitude of damage being done to only have an "acceptable" number of border crossings much less a tombstone erected to protect a nation dead to the reasons it was founded.

But if it keeps one illegal out it will be worth it I suppose.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Oh look, let's spend 25 billion to stop thousands of dollars worth of the devil's lettuce from coming in. Not to mention, those plague bearing kiddies and all 6 of those bad hombres.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I wonder how many broken institutions and ruined lives and succumbing of the nation to the greatest domestic threat since the Civil War is worth trading to build that wall, how many illegal crossings will justify the above.

There seems to be a disconnect between the magnitude of damage being done to only have an "acceptable" number of border crossings much less a tombstone erected to protect a nation dead to the reasons it was founded.

But if it keeps one illegal out it will be worth it I suppose.

You're a dancin' fool, huh?

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
LMAO!l..."it's in the trade deal"..I don't know why you guys feed this guy...He's a true believing SJW with nothing to say or debate

Republicans had 2 years to address this "national emergency" and now "all of a sudden" it's a "national emergency" when Trump loses the house and oversight is going to happen. Cohen is going to talk, etc. This is one big distraction.

If Trump cared about immigration, he would be doing things to stop immigration. Instead, he loafed on the subject until Congress was about to start investigating his past in earnest and then shut everything down and turned it into a spectacle for fundraising. Either for the 2020 election, or to throw into his "go bag". So, practically speaking, there's nothing that they could offer him that he'll take, because he'll always go one higher, to keep things off the rails.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I had respect for you, think you used to be fairly logical and not a dick just for the sake of being a dick, we didn't agree often but I thought you were at least posting with good intent and making real effort to discuss and explain your point of view. But think this is the post where that ends.

You can look the other way on human trafficking, you can pick which "facts" agree with your pre-held position and champion them all you want. Neat story bud. But what we are talking about here is 1) CNN IS biased and goes out of their way to mock and show Trump in a bad light. This is my opinion and shared by plenty of others, evidence backs this up. 2) Illegal immigration IS an issue, we have hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants apprehended a year. This has been ignored for too long in my opinion, I posted a video of facts and figures that seems to be ignored by you and others thus far.

I don't think the issue is so much that I'm a liar or a troll, but that many here don't like the reality I post as it doesn't fit in the bubble that exists here.

When you decided to side with those who seek to weaken the nation on the best of days and willing to sacrifice our principles for a claim of doubtful protection, side with those who wish to usurp the authority of government beyond the wildest imaginings and started pulling anecdotal accounts as justification and wave them in the face of reality?

That's when you lost me. I'm for the intelligent improvement of border control. I'm for increasing the processing of those coming over so fewer will be tempted to enter illegally, but your administration has done the opposite, decreasing the number of people who may legally cross because he can. That creates more taking actions that I don't approve of and that no stupid wall will stop. It won't stop drugs even though that was lied about. It won't stop terrorism because contrary to what is being sold that's not where terrorists are getting in.

Long ago I took an oath to defend against enemies foreign and domestic. What you represent, what you support, is that which is a threat. I wouldn't let Obama, Hillary or Trump get away with it because I am no respecter of people, only who those people are and what they do earns consideration in terms of whether they should remain in power or not.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump's publicly saying that he's willing to keep the shutdown going as long as it takes in order to get his wall. He's saying that he's the guy who decides and he can end the shutdown when he wants to.

Of course, Trump is also publicly saying that the shutdown is entirely the Democrats' fault. Which means he's saying that he has no control over the shutdown or when it ends.

How does Trump believe both of these things at the same time?. How anyone takes this guy seriously is beyond comprehension. The single best thing the United States of America can do for itself is get Donald Trump out of office. Give him money to go away. That's it.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Both. Although ive not seen many costed estimates for manning and repairing the wall/fence/curtain.

I think there's no plan. There are statements, promises, and wishes, but no plan. "I'm gonna build a wall that's 234 miles long" is not a plan any more than "I want a really nice house" is a blueprint. It's all a distraction.

Reactions: Meghan54

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I think there's no plan. There are statements, promises, and wishes, but no plan. "I'm gonna build a wall that's 234 miles long" is not a plan any more than "I want a really nice house" is a blueprint. It's all a distraction.
How long is the border with Mexico exactly anyway?

Maintaining a physical barrier that a lot of people will want to destroy along all that is going to cost a shit ton of money!

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
J
Weed should be legal, but thousands of dollars?
Just trying to emphasize how ludicrous the idea of spending that much money on a problem that doesn't exist. Everyone wants better controls over illegal immigration. The wall isn't a reasonable. Then there's the whole separate issue of Trump fucking over thousands of Americans and creating real possible threats in the process.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I'd gladly support the wall if it actually addressed the largest problems with regards to the illegal and drug problems, it does not, so therefore it's a non-starter for me. It's nothing more than something to placate Trump getting burned from Coulter and Linmpbaugh. He's scared his base will abandon him if he doesn't get it done and won't get re-elected. All he has to do is blame the democrats like all republicans have done before him. They're gullible and will believe what they're told.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
How long is the border with Mexico exactly anyway?

Maintaining a physical barrier that a lot of people will want to destroy along all that is going to cost a shit ton of money!

Building it costs a shit ton, maintaining it will cost a shot ton, staffing it will cost a shit ton.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'd gladly support the wall if it actually addressed the largest problems with regards to the illegal and drug problems, it does not, so therefore it's a non-starter for me. It's nothing more than something to placate Trump getting burned from Coulter and Linmpbaugh. He's scared his base will abandon him if he doesn't get it done and won't get re-elected. All he has to do is blame the democrats like all republicans have done before him. They're gullible and will believe what they're told.
Its absolutely not going to solve any drug problems. We have a 20 mile wide moat but it really isnt a problem getting hold of whatever you want here!

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
When you decided to side with those who seek to weaken the nation on the best of days and willing to sacrifice our principles for a claim of doubtful protection, side with those who wish to usurp the authority of government beyond the wildest imaginings and started pulling anecdotal accounts as justification and wave them in the face of reality?

That's when you lost me. I'm for the intelligent improvement of border control. I'm for increasing the processing of those coming over so fewer will be tempted to enter illegally, but your administration has done the opposite, decreasing the number of people who may legally cross because he can. That creates more taking actions that I don't approve of and that no stupid wall will stop. It won't stop drugs even though that was lied about. It won't stop terrorism because contrary to what is being sold that's not where terrorists are getting in.

Long ago I took an oath to defend against enemies foreign and domestic. What you represent, what you support, is that which is a threat. I wouldn't let Obama, Hillary or Trump get away with it because I am no respecter of people, only who those people are and what they do earns consideration in terms of whether they should remain in power or not.

I read all of your reply, but your first paragraph in particular reeks of spoon fed propaganda and FUD. Here we have a president putting America first, fighting for better trade, protecting our intellectual property, stopping other countries from taking advantage of us. He is actively trying to increase border security and using a common sense approach to allowing whom can come into our country. How dare we want to vet those that would live here?!?!

Prominent Democrats have called for physical barriers as well, this shouldn't even be a point of contention. But it only is because Trump pushed for it, so now it is the worst thing in the world to the left and they have decided to obstruct. Today the government is shut down over a $5.7 billion dollar line in the sand that is more about ego and optics from both sides. Yet physical barriers were not controversial at all when the Democrats called for them before.

I said I'm very much for streamlining the process to become a citizen, I'm fine with dreamers staying here that are productive members of society, I couldn't care less about pushing one for English. But, I think the wall makes good sense and should be built, at least where it is most needed.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
@SlowSpyder There you go. How much per person stopped in the first year and then subsequently including maintenance and staffing for a 1954 mile barrier.