Question Cmos error

Moss11770

Oct 17, 2020
Hi,

I know this is a common error and I have been trying to search online. I have tried replacing the battery inside and unable to.

Here was my scenario. I was given a free dell studio xps 8000, and all it needed was a harddrive and video card to run.
I put in a brand new video card, but the harddrive from an old acer pc i had laying around. Booted it fine, but forgot my password from windows vista. I replaced the battery, and all if a sudden the cmos error has come up. Reason i replacdd battery, was that I was unable to boot into setup. I have tried all the different boot keys, from dell to even old acer thinking maybe it was looking for that.

I still cannot get into boot, and not the comp won't boot so i can't check within the system to find my bios version as i think i need to flash a new one.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If these threads are all about the same PC, please keep to your first thread. I replied there, that you might need an "Authentic Dell Keyboard", to get into the BIOS, on that PC. At least, I ran into that issue with some Dell units that I was dealing with at the time.

Moss11770

Oct 17, 2020
Thank you, yes they are about the 2nd post. This was my original. I will stick with it.
I will try with an authentic dell keyboard as well unplug all storage devices.

Thank you so much, i thought this was posted in wrong section, which is why i did the other post.