cmd window pops up randomly when browsing in IE

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by Sir Fredrick, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Sir Fredrick

Sir Fredrick Guest

Hi, I'm using my parent's computer, which is running Win2k, and I am noticing some odd behavior in IE. Sometimes when I click on a link, or even type in an address in the address bar (but only sometimes...not every time), a cmd window pops up very briefly and then disappears...there's no output on the screen that I can see, although it goes away pretty quickly, so I can't be sure of that.

They used to have CometCursor on here, but I removed that thinking that was causing the problem, but it wasn't...so I'm at a loss. Doesn't seem to be a virus, we're using AVG 6.0 with the latest updates.

2. stingray2

stingray2 Senior member

it might be that when you visit a web page, it might contain stuff that your current browser can not display, so IE goes out and get the plug-in and installs it. and that might the window you see flash on then off, the install of the plug in or program? anyone else?

3. Sir Fredrick

Sir Fredrick Guest

I don't think that's it, the window pops up even when I'm just browsing anandtech.

4. Sir Fredrick

Sir Fredrick Guest

5. bunker

bunker Lifer

Throw Zone Alarm on there and see if it picks up anything. Could be a trojan that AVG can't get.

6. Sir Fredrick

Sir Fredrick Guest

ZA didn't catch anything either. :(

7. Logix

Logix Diamond Member

That's a really wierd problem. Windows sometimes accesses the command prompt when it's installing a program or cleaning up the temporary files after installation. I have no idea why it would be doing that constantly, though. Maybe it's something left over from a botched installation.

8. Sir Fredrick

Sir Fredrick Guest

Seems to have been some nasty spyware running on my computer. I ran LavaSoft Ad-Aware, and haven't seen the command window yet.