*CLOSURE* Logging Aim on Sister In Laws account

Hav0k99

Platinum Member
May 10, 2002
Ok I never got a chance to realy explain on my last post but the reason I want to monitor it is becasue she is visiting my wife and I from texas. She is only 12 years old and very prety looking. I believe she met alot of strangers on MySpace and chats with them at night when we go to bed. I've seen their sites and there is no way they are around her age. Anyway she me someone especaily who I know she chats with but I can't catch her doing it. I would rather catch her then deny her access becasue when she gets back home were these boys live something awful might happen.

P.S. She is very attractive and tall for 12.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Key Katcher

While the software ones are good, and capture far more information, if your sister is semi-PC savvy she may find a software logger or disable the built in logging of the current messenger program.

The only way you'll find the Key Katcher is to get down behind the machine and look for it.

Hav0k99

Platinum Member
May 10, 2002
I beleive it is because someone suggested key logging. Then others suggested it could lead to identity theft. Well the whole thing went bad and it got locked before I could post anything else.

About Dead AIM....is it obviouis to user that it's running?

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
it can be obvious if she knows what to look for. There is an option for deadaim in the myaim menu, and it can say deadaim when logging in unless you disable it.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Hav0k99
I beleive it is because someone suggested key logging. Then others suggested it could lead to identity theft. Well the whole thing went bad and it got locked before I could post anything else.

About Dead AIM....is it obviouis to user that it's running?

It could be obvious since in some instances of DeadAIM, it changes the logon screen for AIM. Also, it adds some more menu options for AIM. Finally, if you use DeadAIM 4.5, you can only go up to AIM 5.5.xxxx for complete compatibility.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Here's some fun I've had with pinion9 and his asinine legal opinion:

Me:
Send me a link to a single statute which states that simple possession of another person's password is a crime. I dare you.

Him:
http://www.crime-research.org/library/Romania.html

The possession, without right, of a device, computer programme, password, access code or computer data referred to at paragraph...

Just because I blurt out my password does not give you the *right* to possess it, althought you wouldn't go to prison for knowing it. It is a very poorly written law. There, that was a link to a law that states possessing a password is illegal. What do I get?

Him again:
Well?

Plus, why "dare me" to send a link? It isn't as if it is dangerous. Either I'm right and can find a link, or I'm not, in which case I would tell you that you are right. Why dare me? When daring someone, there is generally a consequence. Such as "I dare you to hit me," implying that the person making the dare will give some sort of retribution to the person performing the dare. Or, "dare me to drive drunk?" (Eminem) implying that some iminent danger is apparent. How about asking, "Can you please provide me with a link to said statute? I cannot find it and am skeptical."

Do you always try to "sound tough" online?

Me:
Romanian law? I didn't know US citizens were held to Romanian laws. Besides, telling somebody your password does indeed imply that you give them the right to know it.

Try again, this time with US law.

Is this guy always such a douchebag?

Anghang

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2001
has she already been talked to about the dangers of online predators?...if not, it's a better idea to take that route than to start logging her conversations and then confront her admitting that you've invaded her privacy...

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Here's some fun I've had with pinion9 and his asinine legal opinion:

Me:
Send me a link to a single statute which states that simple possession of another person's password is a crime. I dare you.

Him:
http://www.crime-research.org/library/Romania.html

The possession, without right, of a device, computer programme, password, access code or computer data referred to at paragraph...

Just because I blurt out my password does not give you the *right* to possess it, althought you wouldn't go to prison for knowing it. It is a very poorly written law. There, that was a link to a law that states possessing a password is illegal. What do I get?

Him again:
Well?

Plus, why "dare me" to send a link? It isn't as if it is dangerous. Either I'm right and can find a link, or I'm not, in which case I would tell you that you are right. Why dare me? When daring someone, there is generally a consequence. Such as "I dare you to hit me," implying that the person making the dare will give some sort of retribution to the person performing the dare. Or, "dare me to drive drunk?" (Eminem) implying that some iminent danger is apparent. How about asking, "Can you please provide me with a link to said statute? I cannot find it and am skeptical."

Do you always try to "sound tough" online?

Me:
Romanian law? I didn't know US citizens were held to Romanian laws. Besides, telling somebody your password does indeed imply that you give them the right to know it.

Try again, this time with US law.

Is this guy always such a douchebag?

heh that should be a diffrent posting actually. where we can argue about if it is or is not legal.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
middle man, if she doesn't notice it, just tell her it gets rid of ads and all that junk

Meuge

Banned
Nov 27, 2005
How about talking to her... or your parents. FFS who gives you the right to snoop on her conversations. Do yourself a favor and punch yourself in the nose... real hard.

If you want to take some responsibility for her, why don't you get her to trust you, and talk to her about this. If you can't do that, then wtf are you going to do when you find out that she wants to run off with Bubba? You think you can stop her by force?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Meuge
How about talking to her... or your parents. FFS who gives you the right to snoop on her conversations. Do yourself a favor and punch yourself in the nose... real hard.

If you want to take some responsibility for her, why don't you get her to trust you, and talk to her about this. If you can't do that, then wtf are you going to do when you find out that she wants to run off with Bubba? You think you can stop her by force?

Don't listen to this asshat. I'd go with the software monitoring. She's a minor and basically has no privacy rights while she's living in your house using your computer and internet access.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
hmm we were in the same situation with my wife's sister when she lived with us. she was 12 and always getting on AIM and had a myspace page.

i tried talking to her about how many pervs there are on the internet. she said she would watch it and not giver her name or adress etc. well i was looking on my computer (ok snooping) and i found pictures of naked men in her email. also found some err boarderline naked pictures of her on it.

while 12 she could easily pass for 16-18.

so now that i know the situation i can agree with what youa re doing.

Meuge

Banned
Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Don't listen to this asshat. I'd go with the software monitoring. She's a minor and basically has no privacy rights while she's living in your house using your computer and internet access.

I am not talking about the legality of it... but about the uselessness of these techniques. Suppose he catches her talking to Bubba. What's he going to do - punish her? She's 12 and pretty. You think you can force her to do something? He may be able to... and then what? The next time she won't get caught... and now she won't trust him anymore. So when she does feel like running away with Bubba, she's not going to ask for advice.

In the end, such snooping will only make the situation worse.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001

Agreed. If she is a minor under your care and supervision and using your computer, then her "rights" are a moot point.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001

I am not talking about the legality of it... but about the uselessness of these techniques. Suppose he catches her talking to Bubba. What's he going to do - punish her? She's 12 and pretty. You think you can force her to do something? He may be able to... and then what? The next time she won't get caught... and now she won't trust him anymore. So when she does feel like running away with Bubba, she's not going to ask for advice.

If Bubba is overage, as seems to be implied, you call the police and have him arrested. I thought that was the intent from the start.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

That's not the point. She is his responsibility and if he suspects that she might be chatting with people who might want to exploit her he needs to know about it and deal with it. Getting a 12 year old to trust you and confide in you when you only have a short time to try to gain that trust isn't going to be easy so this might be a good way to gather information if she isn't forthcoming.

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn this.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Ok I never got a chance to realy explain on my last post but the reason I want to monitor it is becasue she is visiting my wife and I from texas. She is only 12 years old and very prety looking. I believe she met alot of strangers on MySpace and chats with them at night when we go to bed. I've seen their sites and there is no way they are around her age. Anyway she me someone especaily who I know she chats with but I can't catch her doing it. I would rather catch her then deny her access becasue when she gets back home were these boys live something awful might happen.

:camera:'s?

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

OH COME ON!!! 25 posts and I JUST miss being the first one to ask for pics...wtf

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

EDIT: Oh i see.