Closing the lid on a laptop??

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
HI
Dumb question of the day.
When you close the lid on a laptop what happens?
Does it go into the sleep mode or hibernate mode?
Thanks
Pghpooh

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
HI
Never thought to look there!
On my laptop when I close the lid it says go to sleep! Just like me! LOL
Thanks
Pghpooh

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have one of my laptops setup to go to sleep, the other to do "nothing." That one just shuts off the monitor. If I press it's power button before shutting the cover, it does go to sleep. Then if I left click the attached mouse, it reawakens, the lid can remain closed. I'm temporarily using that laptop as network attached storage, among other things.

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
Thanks for the info.
I was thinking of setting the laptop to go to the screen saver in 5 minutes and then sleep in say 20 minutes.
There are times when I walk away from the laptop for a while or my wife forgets to close the lid and it stays on. And,, when the grandkids get ahold of it anything goes!!! LOLOL
I'll play with the options and see what I can come up with.
Thanks
Pghpooh

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
I recommend you set it to hibernate, not sleep. Sleep mode still uses up power (albeit very little).

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Hibernate creates an image on thhe HDD and the whole system goes dormant like a bear in a snow cave. That does use less power than component sleep. All are choices in Power Management. What you don't want to do is have it keep running with the lid closed - that can cause overheating in some laptops be cause part of incoming cool air is through the keyboard.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
well... hibernate saves a copy of the ram to the HDD, then shuts down the computer, next time it will run it will load that image into the ram...
As far as your running programs are concerned it was never off, as if in sleep mode. It is slower then sleep mode but doesn't take power. Problem with sleep mode is that it takes a little power and in a few days will drain the battery and shut down. which can cause you to lose data (unless you have hybrid sleep available in win7, where it creates a hibernate image and sets it to sleep mode... if sleep mode loses power it will load the hibernate image).

Yes, as corkyg said leaving it on is a bad bad idea. it will overheat and die.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Hibernate creates an image on thhe HDD and the whole system goes dormant like a bear in a snow cave. That does use less power than component sleep. All are choices in Power Management. What you don't want to do is have it keep running with the lid closed - that can cause overheating in some laptops be cause part of incoming cool air is through the keyboard.

good one i never thought about t hat i always close lid to put netbook/laptop to sleep i dont even notice any heat at all but thanks I never like hibernation.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
well, the cpu, HDD, fans, and gPU all shut down when in sleep mode.. only your ram is still consuming power

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I recommend you set it to hibernate, not sleep. Sleep mode still uses up power (albeit very little).
In sleep mode my laptops use about 2 watts. At home I run them on the adapter with the battery removed. Leaving the battery attached would be a very bad idea since Li-ion rechargeables degenerate at a far faster rate when they are topped up. That's assuming the battery would continue charging to a maximum charge when attached to the adapter. However, you could program the laptop to only charge the battery to 80-90% capacity, I suppose. My batteries live in the fridge at ~40% charge. Hibernating would be no benefit when attached to the adapter. It would use very very slightly less energy if any and it would take 50 times as long to wake up.

Last edited:

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I think mine goes to sleep right away, but if it is left like that for long enough it goes into hibernate. I just got it today (ideapad y450) so I'm still learning what it does but I tried closing it earlier and it went to sleep, but I closed it and went to class and when I got back it had to wake up from hibernate.