Clone or copy programs on a cd to a usb?

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
HI
Just bought a new laptop. The laptop does not have a cd drive. I have software that I want to install on the new laptop and that software is on cd's. All the software are programs such as quicken, etc.
Can I copy that manufacture's cd to a usb and use the usb to install the software on the new laptop?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
you can put the dvd/cd in a computer then share the dvd drive and install over network.

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
HI
Just bought a new laptop. The laptop does not have a cd drive. I have software that I want to install on the new laptop and that software is on cd's. All the software are programs such as quicken, etc.
Can I copy that manufacture's cd to a usb and use the usb to install the software on the new laptop?

If the programs on CD/DVD are just executable files that launch via an autorun 'setup.exe' file or by simply double-clicking the setup.exe file , then a simple copy operation from CD to USB will work fine. However, if the media is bootable i.e., a bootable Windows install DVD for example, then you need to create a bootable USB thumb drive in order for Windows boot manager to identify your USB stick as bootable media. There are a number of utilties that will accomplish this task but I personally prefer using RUFUS

Last edited:

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
It all depends on whether the discs have on-disc copy protection. If they do, then your best option is to buy a USB external drive. If you have another computer with a CD/DVD drive, you can make that a network drive and try reading the disc from there. However, the copy protection might prevent even that from working.

However, lately the vast majority of software has copy protection via serial number/product number activation. The discs themselves are not copy protected, which means you can simply copy the contents of the disc onto a USB drive and install from there. Many programs are even downloadable, allowing you to install the latest version without having to download patches.

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
Hi Due to some health issues I am slow to get back here. I was able to copy olded software that was on cd's to a usb and install the software using the usb.
Thanks for the suggestions