Clogged Bathroom Sink...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
60's era condo. First time I've had the bathroom sink clogged.

I'll consider that. I do think something similar to what Scarpozzi mentions might be a better idea though.
60's era condo. First time I've had the bathroom sink clogged.

I'll consider that. I do think something similar to what Scarpozzi mentions might be a better idea though.

You know if it's cast iron plumbing? Or if anything else is attached to where the sink connects to the stack?

I just had to replace all my cast iron. My kitchen sink would drain slow and then not at all. Drain cleaners worked for a little while and then standing water again. I couldn't believe how clogged the 5" line was, it was literately solid with black beloved patriot. It must have drained drop by drop.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I know nothing about that drain cleaner, but Home Depot carries a million Zep products. They have that product for less than half the price of Amazon.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-2-lb-Crystal-Heat-Drain-Opener-ZUCRY2/100086662

I love the Zep Streak-Free glass cleaner with ammonia. So much better than Windex, and I also use it on bathroom and kitchen surfaces. Invisible Glass is even better on glass, but it's pricey and the fumes are bad, so I save it for cleaning car windows. I go through a few gallons of the Zep every year.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-128-oz-Streak-Free-Glass-Cleaner-ZU1120128/100676307

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Drano crystals is probably one of the oldest drain cleaners out there....was about the only choice about 4 decades ago....well before Mr. Plumber was even a brand or liquids were available to the public in general. Heck, wouldn't be surprised to find out Drano is making the Zep crystals. Happens all the time.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I've found hydrogen peroxide to be a decent liquid to use. It'll displace water and eat through stuff like hair, I think. I recently used a few ounces in a cruddy and nearly filled in overflow tube and it made everything into a sludge with the foam spitting out gunk into the sink from the small hole. I ran a 30-40" garage zip tie through the hole to clean it out.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Feb 4, 2009
Hmm, well, the clog is pretty deep in. It's definitely past the p-trap and into the wall. I'll think about it although for something like this I would need to throw quite a bit in there just to get to the clog.

Not to be a ball buster, its been two weeks and its still clogged? I'd call a plumber.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Once you finally call a plumber, he sure as hell won't be very happy about all the chemicals you dumped down the drain. It just makes his job more difficult and messy.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Seems like the Drum Auger did the trick. It's a pain to use, but effective once you get it past the p-trap.

And boy was it nasty what it brought back with it. Ran the tap at max heat for a good 5-10 mins in order to clear out the remaining.. whatever it was...

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Seems like the Drum Auger did the trick. It's a pain to use, but effective once you get it past the p-trap.

And boy was it nasty what it brought back with it. Ran the tap at max heat for a good 5-10 mins in order to clear out the remaining.. whatever it was...

Yes it looks like he did.