clockgen – changed RAM speed in BIOS – no POST, dg41cn, E2180 Intel

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
My desktop computer uses an Intel dg41cn motherboard with a E2180 processor and 1 GB of RAM.

I tried to raise the processor frequency (GHz) and the system restarted. I then went to the BIOS. In the BIOS I changed the RAM speed (actually underclocked in BIOS to lesser speed) — it was altered already (5334 or something like that). Now the system continuously restarts without POSTing (or without entering the BIOS).

I have already tried the jumper/CMOS removal, and using RAM from another system, but nothing is working. I have no idea what to do now. I first switched on the system without a ram, and it gave me three beeps. Now when I put the RAM in, the system goes about its restarting cycle. i checked all the components in other desktop,all are fine..but this motherboard fan starts spins stops spins and goes on...Can someone help me? thanks

grimham

Jun 16, 2005
Did you do this?....

Intel® Desktop Board Doesn't Boot After Changing BIOS Settings
Documentation
Content TypeTroubleshooting
Article ID000005930
Last Reviewed06/07/2018
Certain changes in BIOS settings can cause your Intel® Desktop Board to no longer boot. This especially applies to changes in timings, voltages, or frequencies.
If you're still able to enter the BIOS setup, reset the BIOS to the factory defaults:
  1. Press F2 during boot.
  2. Press F9 to set defaults.
  3. Press F10 to save and exit.
If you cannot enter the BIOS setup during boot, follow these steps to clear the CMOS:
  1. Turn off all peripheral devices connected to the computer.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the AC power source.
  3. Remove the computer cover.
  4. Find the battery on the board. The battery may be in a horizontal or vertical battery holder, or connected to an onboard header with a wire.
    1. If the battery is in a holder, note the orientation of the + and on the battery. With a medium flat-blade screwdriver, gently pry the battery free from its connector.
      battery_flat.jpg
    2. If the battery is connected to an onboard header with a wire, disconnect the wire from the onboard header.
      battery_wired.jpg
  5. Wait one hour, then reconnect the battery.
  6. Put the computer cover back on.
  7. Plug the computer and all devices back in.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes and push the power button (with the power supply unplugged).

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
yes i did remove the cmos battery for about months.. and put it again..but still the mobo is doing the same thing..fan spins stops spins..what could be the problem...

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
yes i did remove the cmos battery for about months.. and put it again..but still the mobo is doing the same thing..fan spins stops spins..what could be the problem...
I know this may sound stupid because it is very basic: when fans spun but my systems refused to boot, it was because I had forgotten to plug the EPSx8 back in. I did this screw-up multiple times, which is the only reason I bring it up.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
yes i do keep in mind to plug in all the connections..so its still doing the same spin stop loop ..what could it be..

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
yes i do keep in mind to plug in all the connections..so its still doing the same spin stop loop ..what could it be..
As old as that is, have you considered a new build ? power supply, motherboard/cpu/memory and maybe a video card ?

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
i have build a other one but with refurbished p5ql pro,4 gb ddr2 ram,1gb gt730 nvidea graphic card powersupply is a local made 450 watts, e5200 cpu 2.5ghz but will put x5470(mod) later , but i just want to know what happened to my dg41cn intel motherboard stop spin cpu fan loop ,i just changed some ram speed in bios ..then this thing is happening..

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Try this:
1. Check your motherboard manual to see if there's a CLEAR CMOS jumper, and the procedure to clear cmos
If you find none, physically check the board for the two pins and short them. Make sure to disconnect both the power supply and cmos battery; or you may need to leave the cmos battery on in order to get a proper short.

If this isn't an option, or doesn't work, try these next steps:
2. Disconnect the power supply and battery
3. Press the power button for a full minute
4. Plug a single stick of RAM in the first memory slot, reconnect cmos battery and power supply and turn on the pc
5. Try each of the slots in turn
6. Preferably use a different memory stick other than the ones you were trying to overclock

Goodluck!

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
thank you...yes tried it ,i have only 2 ram slots in this mobo ,tried with other ram sticks too,tried it with other cpus also..tried the jumper settings too,shorted it too..i am really at the end of road ..there should be atleast some explanation to this..the intel guys were so helpless in this..that mobo was just 2 year old when i got overexcited and screwed it in the bios..! but i did underclock overclock with my asus p5ql pro board ,then i removed the cmos battery and it was a cakewalk ..was easy to revert everything in default and move on... but this dg41cn intel such a crap!..please have anyone gone through this end of road..please speak here,thanks

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
hi this time when i tried now, i inserted the cpu,1 stick ram ,pc on now,green light on,cpu fans run,but no display/no beep..when normal usually a one single beep should come but it dint come now, and when i start the pc without the ram it beeped 3 times before but now even that 3 beeps dint come! so now its just silent cpu fan running doenst matter if keep the ram or not.. any views on it..?

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
hi this time when i tried now, i inserted the cpu,1 stick ram ,pc on now,green light on,cpu fans run,but no display/no beep..when normal usually a one single beep should come but it dint come now, and when i start the pc without the ram it beeped 3 times before but now even that 3 beeps dint come! so now its just silent cpu fan running doenst matter if keep the ram or not.. any views on it..?
What does green light indicate in your manual? I suspect the RAM underclock is so unstable it's causing the system to hang during post, hence your black screen. You should be able to diagnose this with your keyboard lights. See if there's any indication. This brings us back to step 1. Find a way to clear the cmos, and you might well be on your way to resurrecting your system. Do you have a link to your motherboard? Maybe a PDF, or hires image?

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
What does green light indicate in your manual? I suspect the RAM underclock is so unstable it's causing the system to hang during post, hence your black screen. You should be able to diagnose this with your keyboard lights. See if there's any indication. This brings us back to step 1. Find a way to clear the cmos, and you might well be on your way to resurrecting your system. Do you have a link to your motherboard? Maybe a PDF, or hires image?
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...top-boards/G41/DG41CN/DG41CN_TechProdSpec.pdf
https://www.intel.in/content/www/in...000023823/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html

thank you for being with me,the above is the manual..i tried the cmos thing after a period of more than a year i guess ! :p i took my running computers cmos battery ..by the way i dont know what to look for in keyboard lights..mm will see it get lits up when i power on the motherboard... by the way the green light in the mobo is just showing its powered up i hope..please do see in the manual what may you get ...

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
i re-seated the e2180 cpu, tested again with the ram ..different slots too,the keyboard lights all three lit up when i powered on then i waited to see some changes in keyboard lights but dint see any for about a minute ,tried the cmos resetting this time too but the same results no beep no display /cpu fan runs thats all.. and i turned it off . if i take it to shop..what would they look for ..wish i had pc diagnostics card..atleast i would have got some codes..

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
If you go to Table 16 in the PDF, the "Clear CMOS Jumper Settings" are clearly spelt out.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
yes i read the manual,but i couldnt clear cmos no matter what i do.. if i give in the repair shop what would they do..is this even repairable..

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
hi ,could any one say ,is the bios chip in dg41cn motherboard is soldered or can be removable with tweezers.. please also tell where is the bios located in this board,thanks..

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
If you're only doing one I'd have recommended just buying a pre-programmed one off of ebay. It's easy to flash yourself but the chip itself could be bad which would require you to buy a new one anyway.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
pre-programmed one is expensive for me, the programmer is cheaper..so i thought may be i would try it ,my chip is 25Q16BVAIG 1023
will this work with the usb programmer eeprom..will get it from aliexpress.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
hello kind people.. sorry to resurrect the old thread of mine.. busy and post covid.. here , i finally bought eeprom bios reprogrammer ,the bios chip was all fine.. it read well in the programmer..i flashed with new bios , i put it , this time - i tried with no ram - the computer gave 3 beeps then 3 beeps.. learned that its saying there is no ram. then when i put a ram. (also different sticks- just one at a time) it gave the same on off loops .
then i read some forums.. saying to put a graphics card ..i tried my gt730 card.. but still nothing happend. its the same on off loops. tried everything.. now will shop guys would be able to repair this ? possible ? i just want a spare if incase something happens to my present mobo. thanks.