clockgen – changed RAM speed in BIOS – no POST, dg41cn, E2180 Intel

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
My desktop computer uses an Intel dg41cn motherboard with a E2180 processor and 1 GB of RAM.

I tried to raise the processor frequency (GHz) and the system restarted. I then went to the BIOS. In the BIOS I changed the RAM speed (actually underclocked in BIOS to lesser speed) — it was altered already (5334 or something like that). Now the system continuously restarts without POSTing (or without entering the BIOS).

I have already tried the jumper/CMOS removal, and using RAM from another system, but nothing is working. I have no idea what to do now. I suspect the CPU is gone, or it's the motherboard. I first switched on the system without a ram, and it gave me three beeps. Now when I put the RAM in, the system goes about its restarting cycle. Can someone help me?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not sure what to tell you, other than:
1) Overclocking has "risks". Especially if you really push it.
2) Intel boards, specifically, have a sort of "recovery mode" or "config mode" jumper, they aren't just a close-jumper for CLR CMOS. You might want to investigate that further. You might be able to save the board.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I changed the RAM speed (actually underclocked in BIOS to lesser speed) — it was altered already (5334 or something like that).

That gives me pause, too. Did you alter the RAM TIMINGS, or the CLOCK? Because 5334 is not a DRAM clock speed, it would have been 400, 533, 667, or 800.

It sounds almost like DRAM timings, 5-3-3-4, which is extremely tight, overclocked timings. You RAISE the timings to loosen them. Lowering them overclocks them.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
actually i raised the fsp in clockgen with some closely related pll,it restarted to bios,out of curiosity i wanted to see if anything changed -there i saw ram timings were low like 3,4,4,4 something like that-dont remember,then i changed the clock speed to less number than it was in default and kept to manual n exit saving n thus started the on/off/on/off cycle

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
please read this - i tried all these--

today i tried ,burning a .bio file of my mobo in a dvd,i removed the jumper,connected the dvd rom,n the monitor,n on the pc,same on/off cycle-nothin on screen..,second try-i removed the ram,dvd n monitor connected,on the pc-three beeps came for no ram/the dvd rom spins,after some 10 or few three beeps,the system shutdown itself,i again turned the sys on removing the dvd rom,put the jumper in normal,did not connect the hard drive,put the ram now,now its same on/off cycle,does the ram slot gone bad? –

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
,i removed the cpu,and switch on the pc,no beeps nothing,ram was seated,dvd rom connected,monitor was conected,the fans were spinning ,dvd rom were spinning,i think the cpu is fried..i am thinkin of buyin a mobo first from aliexpress,to try the cpu first and ram too.another thing i want to say-when i put the cpu with out cpu fan (i mean i did not place the connected cpu fan on the cpu),without ram i poweren on -till the sys shut down giving the ram beeps(wen not connected),-whilst i tried the bios recovery from dvd rom,a music like beep code came-it was for cpu heat-it seems
the beep code was like a music-alternating beeeeep beep beeeeep

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
When I was talking about the BIOS recovery, I wasn't talking about putting a new BIOS file onto a DVD and recovering the BIOS via a DVD (is that what the manual describes for the BIOS recovery mode?), I was talking about an alternate BIOS mode, that you switch the recovery jumper from "Normal" to "Recovery", and attempt to boot (no DVD). The BIOS should enter a special recovery / configuration mode, I thought.

As always, look up the mobo manual to find out how to use that jumper.

As an aside, that's pretty old kit, hardly worth putting any money into just for testing.

Consider moving up to a Haswell or Skylake/Kaby Lake platform. Not super-expensive (but does cost money), and it would have vastly improved performance.

Look into a G4560 CPU, a B250 mobo, and an 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4-2400 kit.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
yes firstly i did that method,switched the jumper from normal 12 to 23 pin,still nothing came up ,did with cmos battery placed then after some time did without cmos battery placed who knows wat comes up,i was desperate..same on/off cycle