Clinton's new 'tax the rich plan'

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
She's grasping for straws or a rope for a lifeline to the nomination.. totally fake politician.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
She's grasping for straws or a rope for a lifeline to the nomination.. totally fake politician.

I wouldn't disagree with you on any of those points. That being said, we can still evaluate the proposal on the merits or lack thereof.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Does it actually tax the money rich people make or is it simply another feel good tax that rich people can or already do avoid?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

She has to the closer we get to the primaries. She is starting to lose in some polls and people are paying more attention. You actually had polls with Cruz and Trump vs Clinton and Cruz and Trump vs Sanders. Clinton was actually losing in some of them while Sanders actually was getting landslide numbers.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I totally expect her poll numbers to DROP because of this.. the 1 thing people like no matter what side of the political spectrum is their estate tax being low.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I don't care for estate taxes. The government has no business dipping its finger into wealth passed between generations. I understand the mentality behind it, but I think there are better ways to control runaway wealth than to confiscate a dead person's money.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I don't care for estate taxes. The government has no business dipping its finger into wealth passed between generations. I understand the mentality behind it, but I think there are better ways to control runaway wealth than to confiscate a dead person's money.

Dead people don't vote so it's the perfect tax.

... I didn't care no more about him, because I don't take no stock in dead people.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
But their heirs do......

But they'll have less money to buy politicians. :D

Edit: To be perfectly serious, I'd rather see higher estate taxes and lower income taxes than the reverse; taxing inherited wealth before taxing productivity.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

The government usually taxes transactions between individuals.

The estate tax actually serves as a pretty amazing way for people to permanently avoid taxes on their investments. If I buy a stock for $100 and sell it for $200 I pay capital gains on the $100. If my mom buys a stock for $100 which becomes $200 and then dies and leaves it to me in her will I not only pay zero estate taxes (she's not worth $5 million) but when I take ownership of the stock my cost basis becomes $200. I sell the stock and pay zero tax.

What a scam!

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

The estate tax actually serves as a pretty amazing way for people to permanently avoid taxes on their investments. If I buy a stock for $100 and sell it for $200 I pay capital gains on the $100. If my mom buys a stock for $100 which becomes $200 and then dies and leaves it to me in her will I not only pay zero estate taxes (she's not worth $5 million) but when I take ownership of the stock my cost basis becomes $200. I sell the stock and pay zero tax.

What a scam!

Feel free to make that change, people will just shift their assets towards life insurance policies instead since the proceeds to beneficiaries are exempt from taxation. Or place them into trusts and other estate friendly vehicles.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005

What a scam!

Then fix that loop hole. :thumbsup:

However, I don't believe that is how it works because I am going through a similar situation right now. I think it depends on how the funds are structured, but I certainly had to pay income tax on investments from a deceased parent. I'm not an expert in the area of that specific type of finance though.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Feel free to make that change, people will just shift their assets towards life insurance policies instead since the proceeds to beneficiaries are exempt from taxation. Or place them into trusts and other estate friendly vehicles.

Oh that would only be the start, but it's the most obvious start.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Then fix that loop hole. :thumbsup:

However, I don't believe that is how it works because I am going through a similar situation right now. I think it depends on how the funds are structured, but I certainly had to pay income tax on investments from a deceased parent. I'm not an expert in the area of that specific type of finance though.

It's definitely how it works normally, but yes it can change based on the structure of the estate. Here's a good piece on it:

https://medium.com/bull-market/the-...-should-want-to-close-4f061b2fac64#.rejdezcqu

Dec 10, 2005
I'm aware of that, was saying the heirs (could) vote, and they notice that the estate is less due to taxes.

My apologies. I misread.

I just don't see the big fight over the estate tax. From what I've seen, ~2 in every 1000 estates will owe some estate tax, and there are plenty of ways to protect assets in an estate from the tax.

Feb 4, 2009

Not that I disagree can you name candidates that have had a real chance of getting elected that didn't fit this description on an issue or two over the last 20 years.

Even Bernie has had some ambiguous talk about guns
More than 20 years ago but maybe Ross Perot although I do remember him wanting the Presidency as kind of his final achievement and there wasn't a bunch of policy records on him

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Nothing that lightens the coin purse of the elite is going to be made law. These guys run congress, the statement is nothing but pandering.

Feb 4, 2009
Nothing that lightens the coin purse of the elite is going to be made law. These guys run congress, the statement is nothing but pandering.

Sadly I agree just look at the ATM tax. The tax was originally designed to get a minimum tax from moderately wealthy people today those same people have enough write offs to avoid the tax but an upper middle class family may have to pay it.