Feb 6, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JcVMkyJoZY

When The Sahara Desert Was Green - Science Documentary 2017

Wonderbook

Published on Apr 30, 2017

• Category
  • License
    • Standard YouTube Licens.
Imagine using the Sahara desert to study Climate Change. The authors of this documentary think they found evidence of the Sahara Desert being a swamp and having inland fresh water lakes as little as 8,000 years ago. They surmised this being cause initially by the tectonic plate of Africa moving north where there was a large sea between Africa and Europe and northern Asia. As the plate moves north it pushed up land forming what we know as the Sahara. Then every 20k years there is a wobble in the earth's orbit causing monsoons to shift creating lakes and swamps in the Sahara. Much of the information comes from fossil remains of salt water creatures like whales and also roots of mango trees and erosion patterns on rocks and fresh water sea shells. They attempted to date some of this by using sea floor core samples and looking for changes in the sediment patterns. That is how they dated the last greening event in the Sahara. Very Interesting. Then almost overnight the rains quit falling and Sahara dried up. However, deep under the Sahara there are still pools of fresh water from prehistoric times.

Anyway watch the video if you want.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I won't. Nothing you've ever said or commented on this fourm makes it worth my time. You're just a shitty poster.
Whoa, we've found a dickhead.

Sadly, I don't have pics but the rest of you can just look at your brothers in law. The critter isn't that elusive.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Not having watched it, this sounds more like Geological in nature more than Climatological. I suppose there's something peripherally of interest relating to Climate Change here, but not so much that it would affect the current CC/GW issue.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Now I can pollute the earth without prejudice. Thank you op for giving me the green light to shit things up.

Reactions: Thebobo

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Thank you for sharing that. Though I knew of the subject for many years now, I was quite sparse on those details.
Was there something to discuss regarding it?

Exactly. Don't understand what the point of the OP was...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Exactly. Don't understand what the point of the OP was...

If it's to show that the region in question was underwater there's no doubt about that. The only problem would be for Creationists who believe in a static world. Ice Ages aren't new, well not to us.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JcVMkyJoZY

When The Sahara Desert Was Green - Science Documentary 2017

Wonderbook

Published on Apr 30, 2017

• Category
  • License
    • Standard YouTube Licens.
Imagine using the Sahara desert to study Climate Change. The authors of this documentary think they found evidence of the Sahara Desert being a swamp and having inland fresh water lakes as little as 8,000 years ago. They surmised this being cause initially by the tectonic plate of Africa moving north where there was a large sea between Africa and Europe and northern Asia. As the plate moves north it pushed up land forming what we know as the Sahara. Then every 20k years there is a wobble in the earth's orbit causing monsoons to shift creating lakes and swamps in the Sahara. Much of the information comes from fossil remains of salt water creatures like whales and also roots of mango trees and erosion patterns on rocks and fresh water sea shells. They attempted to date some of this by using sea floor core samples and looking for changes in the sediment patterns. That is how they dated the last greening event in the Sahara. Very Interesting. Then almost overnight the rains quit falling and Sahara dried up. However, deep under the Sahara there are still pools of fresh water from prehistoric times.

Anyway watch the video if you want.

Central Australia was once covered in lush rain forests and an inland sea, Africa was once sited at the South Pole, the Great Plains of North America was once covered by a shallow salt sea. The Amazon basin In South America was once an inland fresh water sea, part of the American South West and Mexico was underwater until continental drift pushed the land up(this uplift also destroyed irrigation and agriculture systems along the Pacific South American coast depopulating the human habitats there). Underwater human ruins found at an old sea shore miles from the present Black Sea shore, drowned roman villas, etc. What else you got?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yes, OP, please do enlighten us regarding your thoughts on how this video relates to current discussions regarding climate change.