Client PC unable to install firefox

Oct 29, 2015
Hey everybody,

It'd been a fair while since I had had much involvement in doing anything with setting up or editing Group Policies so I've come across an issue that has me a bit stumped.

So I have a client that was trying install Firefox for a new user on an existing workstation. She had no issue installing one of their dispatch programs, Quickbooks, and Chrome but when it came time to install Firefox she received an error that there was a group policy restricting her from doing this. She then attempted to run this installer as the admin and got the same error. It also mentioned 7Zip, so at first I thought it was an issue with 7Zip trying to open the installer but the Firefox installers are 7Zip based.

I tried it myself as the admin and also tried using the offline installer rather than the stub installer. I also tried using Ninite (just for the sake of it) and got an error number 130-3577 ( I think that's just a Ninite error number) and references there is a GP restricting it from running.
I looked in event viewer and found the following warning:

-System
-Provider
[Name]
Microsoft-Windows-SoftwareRestrictionPolicies
[GUID] {7D29D58A-931A-40AC-8743-48C733045548}
EventID 866
-EventData
AttemptedPath C:\Users\VRAdmin\AppData\Local\Temp\Z7SC52C.tmp\setup.exe
SrpRuleGuid {239FD12D-DC5E-4DDC-BCE5-A31B0E49E4BD}
RulePath C:\Users\VRAdmin\Appdata\Local\Temp\7z*\*exe

I figured the next logical step was to check in the GP manager on the server to see if I could find the GPO preventing this from running buuuutttt....... couldn't find anything that jumped out at me. Their Domain Controller is running Windows SBS (shows Windows Server Standard FE in the system info).

We tried this on a few other workstations and got the same error, I checked with the client and the last time she had installed firefox was a few months ago. So I'm guessing in the last few months Mozilla started incorporating 7zip into their installer package.

So Lords and Ladies.... what would be my best work around for this?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Are you trying to run the full installer or the "mini" installer that downloads the rest from Mozilla? If one is failing, the other may not.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It almost seems too obvious but what if you just extract the files ahead of time then run Setup.exe as admin?

Oct 29, 2015
As I have mentioned I did try the full installer, I had come across a few forums that suggested that but they were a few months old and it appears that Mozilla has rolled along with incorporating 7zip into the full installer exe.
Not sure if the updater uses the same method.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Did you check local policy?

Run gpresult /r /scope user and next /scope computer and determine which GPOs are in place, then check those GPOs.