cleaning / restoring plasticized rubber (rubberized plastic?)

ZippyDan

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2001
I have no idea where to post this question, so I just thought I'd throw it up here.

I also have no idea what this material actually is, but I'm making an educated guess based on words that I think I've heard before and what the material feels like.

So I've got a few pieces of computer / electronic equipment that all seem to have a similar material. This material looks and feels like very firm rubber. I believe it is plasticized rubber, or rubberized plastic, because it is more durable and/or cheaper and/or easier to make than actual rubber. I also think that manufacturers use it because it is more tactile, feels better in the hand, and also makes the product look more professional.

I think it is frequently used in some kinds of mice for instance (like the Logitech M510, MX Master, MX Performance, just browsing over some I have at hand) because it improves hand feel and makes the grip easier and more comfortable.

Anyway, the point is I've noticed on several of these electronic items that the rubber portion has over time become tacky (feels slightly sticky, but doesn't actually seem to leave any residue on the hand). Additionally, once it has become tacky, it seems to collect dust and particles like crazy, and cleaning them off becomes next to impossible. It seems like the dust becomes permanently embedded into the rubberized surface.

The common difference between the rubberized parts that have this problem and the ones that don't is that I left them disused for a good while in hot and/or humid environments. A pair of speakers with rubberized feet, and an external LG DVD reader/writer with a rubberized base, which were stored for a while in a garage in the Southern USA; and then an older 17" Dell Studio Laptop that seems to have a rubberized coating on the top cover and the rubberized grips on a Logitech joystick, which were stored in a home, but in a tropical country, have all developed a similar tacky feel and have acquired a dirty appearance that seems impossible to remove.

Meanwhile, the Logitech mice I listed above have no problems - I assume because they are always kept in a climate controlled office.

So anyway, does anyone else have a similar experience with this kind of issue? And most importantly, does anyone know how to possibly clean these surface and/or remove the tackiness and/or restore these surfaces to a more usable/pleasant appearance and/or feel?

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Oh, yeah.

Logitech put this material on their black colored Squeezebox music players some years back. Most of them became tacky after a while. The ones I bought were a different color and were painted instead.

I have a Hercules guitar stand on which it was used on parts that would be handled for adjustment. I wrote them and they sent a replacement. I still have the old one and, with a lot of time and elbow grease I was able to remove all of the sticky stuff. I used 91% Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on paper towels. I helps to let the pieces soak in it, if you can. When it becomes even softer, the thicker areas can be scraped off with a fingernail or something relatively soft, so you don't scratch the plastic beneath. Looks and works fine now.

Last edited:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I don't think it's really the climate or conditions. I think that some companies just used a bad coating. No doubt one that hadn't had any kind of testing over time. There are many many products with similar coatings that never deteriorate.

ZippyDan

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2001
I was afraid to really scrub with something abrasive for fear of damaging the rubberized parts itself. I guess I may have been overthinking the problem.

I am slightly concerned with your conclusion though: are you saying you removed the rubberized material completely exposing plastic beneath?

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Yes. In both of the instances that I'm familiar with, t's a fairly thin coating over hard plastic. If you have something made entirely of the stuff, obviously it wouldn't be an option. If you find it's a coating, I wouldn't use anything abrasive, unless you plan on repainting the item. The plastic underneath may look fine as-is.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'd say the final round of cleaning took me about 20 minutes for a single mouse. I suspect that if I had been as ruthless as that in the first place then it wouldn't have probably used up about 1.5 hours of my time in the long term, but I was afraid of damaging it / making it look even worse.

Getting a feel for the right kind of scrubbing action is the clincher I think; what most people think of if they're told to scrub something harshly will result in a lot of wasted energy. Once you've made a starting point (ie. removed the rubbery surface from one small area), I think the best way to make quicker progress is to firmly wipe away from that area, like peeling a layer rather than scrubbing it off (though you won't see a layer being peeled, just work at it like that). There will be bits left over that have to be scrubbed though.

I didn't try any other cloths, so I don't know if the micro fibre cloth was remarkably effective compared to others.

ZippyDan

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2001
So you also actually removed the rubberized part completely?

That seems a shame, because I like the feel of the rubber ... when it is new and soft.

I was hoping there was some way to restore it. :(

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I hate the rubberized stuff. I got some perscription sunglasses that were rubberized. They got disgusting sweating on them in the summer. I ended up scraping most of it off with my fingernails. I have a mouse with that also, and I scrape on it when I'm bored. The stuff is only good when new, and ime inevitably gets gross and ugly over time.

I think the only way to really fix it is strip it, and recoat it with something, but I don't know what that something is.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
You can has grippity grip.

Performix 11203 Plasti-Dip Black Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating Aerosol - 11 oz.