cleaning pad off core

Stretched

Nov 25, 2000
Hey guys my friend brought a computer over to me the other day. He changed the heatsink on his Tbred 1700+. Now the computer won't boot ,POST,or give error beeps. When I removed amd reseated the chip still no action. I asked him what he did. He cleaned the old pad off the heatsink and core with Lacquer Thinner. I have re cleaned everything with alcohol but still no go. I told hin he may have killed the CPU. Am I right?
Frank

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
no, its the motherboard that is having problems. if the CPU was dead, the motherboard woudl POST, and then complain about "no CPU" (that is of course, unless your video card was done for also, in which case you'd have to go by beeps)

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
are you sure the hsf is plugged into the correct m/board header?
with some boards, if no rpm is sensed by the cpu m/board header from the cpu fan, the system shuts down!

Stretched

Nov 25, 2000
Ya know Bacillus, I reset thet processor and HSF. I didn.t think to check if the fan header is plugged in corretly. I will check it tommorrow/

novice

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2000
This may sound stupid, (but only because I have done it myself) but did you check everything including the power switch? Do you get any lights or fans? Are you sure the processor is fully seated? My last CPU upgrade I just didn't have it fully seated even though the lever was down. Took it out reseated it (after checking for bent pins and cursing myself roundly) and much to my relief, it fired right up.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Is there any kind of thermal transfer compound on it right now or is it just direct core-to-heatsink contact? This won't kill it outright, at least not immediately, but it will likely result in some very high CPU temps.
And of course check all power connectors and the like - if an unskilled person is working on a PC's guts, they can rip cables out of place without even realizing it. Or worse - rip them out and then not know where they plug back in. Way back in the 486 days, I nuked a soundcard by plugging a floppy power cable into its CD-input connector. Never did that again. Luckily, the rest of the system survived - the soundcard was a very effective fuse.

Stretched

Nov 25, 2000
Thanks Novice and Jeff7, I have taken the CPU out twice and reseated it. It seems to be in all the way. I will try it again. The light on the CD-ROM lights up, the fans all spin, but I don't hear the HardDrive spin. I tried resetting the BIOS jumper. I do have Arctic Silver though not very good now that I have done this twice.

Colebert

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2000
WTF are you talking about? if the cpu is fried the MB certainly doesn't POST and show "NO CPU PRESENT."

Stretched

Nov 25, 2000
Colbert, You think the CPU is fried? I don/t have another Socket A board here to test with. How could I be sure if its the board or the CPU?
Thanks

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Colebert
WTF are you talking about? if the cpu is fried the MB certainly doesn't POST and show "NO CPU PRESENT."

All boards will at least give some indication that the CPU is dead, whether that be an onscreen message, beep code (almost EVERY board does this!) or in the case of my A7V333, a speech error "CPU failed".

- M4H

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
if it starts to post, but the HD doesn't spin up, that doesn't sound like a dead cpu. Make sure the IDE cables are in correct

Stretched

Nov 25, 2000
OK without a harddrive installed the system would still post. So I guess I need a new board as there are no error beeps. Thanks to everyone.

Colebert

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2000
every board ive ever worked with needed a working CPU to post. i'm willing to allow for a special board here or there to make some indication, but most all boads *DONT* POST with a fried CPU.

you can't test a CPU w/o another motherboard. got a friend?

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Which mobo is it? To the best of my knowledge, at least in my experiance with two of them, Abit boards do indeed post and say "no cpu, or cpu is damaged" as long as there is something in the socket.

Stretched

Nov 25, 2000
It's an ECS K7S5A It doesn't POST the fans spin and the light on CD-Rom lights. No beeps nothing on the screen.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
have you tried a different power supply? i had the same trouble (fans spinning, lights flashing), and it turned out to be the ps, but i didnt figure it out until after i replaced the mobo. ah well, at least i got a mobo upgrade out of it. good luck.

Stretched

Nov 25, 2000
I have unconnected the power supply and reconneted twice. Didn't think the power supply would be bad. Already sent the board back for RMA. I have a POWMAX 400w.
Thanks for your help

artemedes

Nov 3, 1999
I have a K7s5a and last time I messed with the board and replaced the HSF I had to reset the bios in order to boot. Have you tried that yet?

Stretched

Nov 25, 2000
artemedes, I did reset the BIOS jumper.
I have RMAed the board so I can't try anything else yet.
Thanks

redhatlinux

Oct 6, 2001
Some mobos DO have CPU detection/bad cpu but that isn't part of the POST, as in Power On Self Test.Some mobos show this with LEDS. The POST function needs a cpu to execute the POST code.

Stretched

Nov 25, 2000
UPDATE:
For those that are interested. I got my board back from NewEgg. plugged the CPU in and everything is running. Apparently it was the MOBO. Have a new issue. CMOS error" wrong CMOS memory"
So I will work on that now.
Thanks to everyone who posted.