Cleaned pc from heavy dust. Loaded up ok yesterday... Today its acting up

Rocketman122

Jul 22, 2013
Amd fx8350
Giga 990 board cant remember model
8gb ram
Gtx 660

Yesterday i took the true120 apart and when i pulled on the cooler from the cpu it had some Resistance and pulled the cpu from the socket. I looked at the cpu with a magnifying glass and it had some bent pins. I bent them back and regooped the cpu reinstalled it and the cooler and the fans and gpu and it started up fine. Today i come to boot and it goes ok till the display says no signal and cuts off the display

I come to turn it off with a long press on power button but no go. I have to turn off the switch from the power supply. Now it will light up but no post and the same thing... Cant power off with long power button press i did notice when i put the cpu in the resistance with the lever wasnt so tight but i cant recall how it was when i got it. I dont have enough light to check so will do it tomorrow.

Just wondering what to check specifically?

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
It's likely the cpu isn't fully inserted into the socket. Look there first..

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I come to turn it off with a long press on power button but no go. I have to turn off the switch from the power supply. Now it will light up but no post and the same thing... Cant power off with long power button press
Just wondering what to check specifically?
I had the same thing happen to me recently, when swapping a new PSU into an AM2+ rig. I had forgotten to plug in the 4-pin ATX12V connector. Try checking that, if the long press power button doesn't turn things off.

Rocketman122

Jul 22, 2013
Ok i took the true off and took out the cpu. Looked at it. I had some light spread of artic silver 5 around some pins. Cleaned those with a qtip and using a small diabetes needle. Looked with a maginfying glass there were some bent pins yesterday which i bent back. There were 2 very slightly bent which i used minimal force to align them up. Crap my eyes were bugging out.

I looked at the cpu again over and over to see if it was ok. And it seemed ok. So lightly regooped it again. i think i was sloppy yesterday spreading it too quick with little precision. Also cleaned the pcie slot with a mini brush i got from the "caig" contacts cleaner set.

I thought it might have been what @virtuallarry said which was the 8pin 12v near the cpu and thought the extension cable i bought might have been the issue. I was fed up with running over the gpu looking like shet. I also changed the battery in the mobo.

Still no post. Nothing. I have no light so will do it tomorrow as well. Im running my old pc and had minimal time to deal with it. I will try once more to remove the cpu/true and see whats with the socket. I cant understand why but the pos giga motherboard has no triangle to align it with the cpu triangle. No.. Its not "no its there.. You have to look" its not there. Im a pro photographer im sharp like an eagle. And this is my first amd so not accustomed to it. Used to intel

Anything that u can think of let me know much appreciated. Otherwise im going to bring the mb in to the store for a check and see if they say its fine, im certain pulling out the cou from the socket wheb it was locked might have done the damage. But just to understand...how does the socket lever lock hold the cpu in place? Is it just pressure around the green base or is there a vise around the pins? Asking cause there seems to be minmal pressure when i pull the lever down and lifting it up, the handle doesnt go up. U have to hold it up so u can insert the socket.

Ill look around the mobo to see if any of the other cable are not seated well

Thanks all. Much appreciate all the help guys. Cheers

Btw ckuld i have shorted the mb with touching inside?

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok i took the true off and took out the cpu. Looked at it. I had some light spread of artic silver 5 around some pins. Cleaned those with a qtip and using a small diabetes needle. Looked with a maginfying glass there were some bent pins yesterday which i bent back. There were 2 very slightly bent which i used minimal force to align them up. Crap my eyes were bugging out.

I looked at the cpu again over and over to see if it was ok. And it seemed ok. So lightly regooped it again. i think i was sloppy yesterday spreading it too quick with little precision. Also cleaned the pcie slot with a mini brush i got from the "caig" contacts cleaner set.

I thought it might have been what @virtuallarry said which was the 8pin 12v near the cpu and thought the extension cable i bought might have been the issue. I was fed up with running over the gpu looking like shet. I also changed the battery in the mobo.

Still no post. Nothing. I have no light so will do it tomorrow as well. Im running my old pc and had minimal time to deal with it. I will try once more to remove the cpu/true and see whats with the socket. I cant understand why but the pos giga motherboard has no triangle to align it with the cpu triangle. No.. Its not "no its there.. You have to look" its not there. Im a pro photographer im sharp like an eagle. And this is my first amd so not accustomed to it. Used to intel

Anything that u can think of let me know much appreciated. Otherwise im going to bring the mb in to the store for a check and see if they say its fine, im certain pulling out the cou from the socket wheb it was locked might have done the damage. But just to understand...how does the socket lever lock hold the cpu in place? Is it just pressure around the green base or is there a vise around the pins? Asking cause there seems to be minmal pressure when i pull the lever down and lifting it up, the handle doesnt go up. U have to hold it up so u can insert the socket.

Ill look around the mobo to see if any of the other cable are not seated well

Thanks all. Much appreciate all the help guys. Cheers

Btw ckuld i have shorted the mb with touching inside?

Yes, you can short a motherboard out with static electricity if you touch it without being grounded.

It sound like you destroyed your CPU when you pulled off your heatsink, or got thermal paste into places it shouldn't be.

In the future, when you want to removed a CPU cooler, run your computer and let the CPU heat up. It softens the paste, and then with a twisting motion and lifting motion, it will come off easier.

If you give the Gigabyte model number, we could look to see if it doesn't have an alignment triangle, but all CPU sockets come with some form of identification to show the correct orientation to install a CPU.

Probably at this point you might just want to take your system to a store to have them see what is wrong with it.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
CPU pins drop into the socket (which is actually 2 boards). The lever has a cam that moves the pin board, wedging it against the pins uniformly when you lock it. You should be able to see this with the cpu out, by just flipping the lever back & forth. If you're not seeing any movement, the socket or arm is damaged, and probably not allowing pins to align & reach the traces..
Make sure when you move the cpu lock lever, you can see movement down in the CPU socket.. CPU will only fit when correct orientation of pins & socket is open (unlocked). Make sure it's all the way down, then lock with lever & attach fan.

Last edited:

Rocketman122

Jul 22, 2013
Ok the mobo is a giga 990fxa-ud3. I think I may have installed the cpu with triangle in the wrong way. Its very difficult to see anything. I dont understand why they dont mark the corner with some red color or similar so its easily understandable

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok the mobo is a giga 990fxa-ud3. I think I may have installed the cpu with triangle in the wrong way. Its very difficult to see anything. I dont understand why they dont mark the corner with some red color or similar so its easily understandable

Yeah, they have the triangle, but it isn't colored differently. So that's how your pins got damaged. Your CPU is most likely destroyed at this point.

990FXA-UD3.jpg

Rocketman122

Jul 22, 2013
Actually lookibg at the picture mine looks NOTHING like that. Thats well marked. Not mine though. You cant see shet.

Oh btw, looking at your image i did install it properly. Im uploading a vid to let you guys see

Much appreciated to all!

lenjack

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
You may have knocked some connections loose. Check, double check them all.