Clean an optical laser mouse...

idNut

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Do you have to? The reason I ask is my Microsoft Intellipoint has been acting up on me. (Jumping around on the screen) Also, does the PS/2 adapter affect the performance of the mouse instead of using the USB port? Thanks.

vexingv

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2002
using the PS/2 port does lower the sample rate as opposed to using USB...though i've heard there are some programs that can increase the sample rate for the PS/2...my old dexxa opti, which i had for two yrs and didnt clean never experienced anything like that. my current mx500 is sweet!...maybe its just bad M$ mouse/optica engine ?

idNut

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Eh, doubtful it's Microsoft's fault. I think I'll go back to USB but then my light goes out on my mouse. I dunno, minute problem.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Using USB almost definately won't help the jumping. This jumping is probably caused by the mouse's inability to track certain surfaces, especially if it is the original (which I had). Get the Logitech MX500, you can get it for $29.99 at CompUSA, and it has better accuracy, feel, and functionality, and can track almost anything (I got it, and the difference is quite noticable).

idNut

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I've been hearing raves about the MX500 but I like the feel of this intellipoint. I dunno. I can't say that I'm a fan of Logitech but what makes the MX500 so damn good? The feel, accuracy, software, what?

mrman3k

Dec 15, 2001
idnut, what mousing surface is it on? The MX series mice are supposed to have excellent tracking and smoothness, I can tell you once I get my MX700.

idNut

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: mrman3k
idnut, what mousing surface is it on? The MX series mice are supposed to have excellent tracking and smoothness, I can tell you once I get my MX700.

It's on a plastic mouse pad as opposed to a cloth mouse pad. It flows nicer on the plastic rather than the cloth.

tenoc

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2002
Does it jump around on a cloth pad?

Optical mice don't like shiny surfaces.