Classic Conservative take - it doesn't matter until it happens to me

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Edit: deleted unrelated response. The new forum software remembers when you type something and will add it to your next reply.

Agreed. I have always made these benefits available within my organizations. If you take care of your staff, they do their very well. There are those who don’t deserve it, but the great majority do and appreciate it. Glad your company is seeing the benefits of doing this.
This always blows my mind from a corporate perspective. If you take care of people and value them, they will go miles extra for you when you really need it, whether it's a time crunch or economic hardship. But if they're just another cog in the wheel to you, they won't do any more than they absolutely have to in order to not get fired.
I call it the Peter Gibbon's Office Space Law.

Last edited:

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Edit: deleted unrelated response. The new forum software remembers when you type something and will add it to your next reply.

This always blows my mind from a corporate perspective. If you take care of people and value them, they will go miles extra for you when you really need it, whether it's a time crunch or economic hardship. But if they're just another cog in the wheel to you, they won't do any more than they absolutely have to in order to not get fired.
I call it the Peter Gibbon's Office Space Law.

I disagree with you. People who feel they are part of the solution, empowered and supported go way above those that do not feel this way. Corporations have taken advantage of that, but mostly they have invested in ways to increase or support productivity more broadly and do not understand work culture. They install robots, redesign offices, buy software with work flow, etc. Because leadership and work culture is ignored or is less tangible, they do not always embrace these improvements. Easier to invest billions in robots than hundreds of millions in leadership, benefits or items to support staff when the robots will perform as designed, but the staff may or may not. It does not work every time, but it has for me in many places I have gone. The robot investment gets you 100% of what you want every time.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Unless you're anti-feminist, you should be advocating for paid paternity leave - NOT maternity ;)

You know - unless you're indicating that a woman's place is in the kitchen and at home taking care of the babies is their dedicated job.

How does that even make any sense at all? I never argued against paternity leave, but this was about maternity leave. I think both parents should get time off. And by being for maternity leave, I am literally NOT for women just staying home to take care of their babies since clearly to get maternity leave at all means you are going back to work. One can't be for having some time with the new child or one must be for women just being in the kitchen and being housewives? Dude, get some logic skills.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
How does that even make any sense at all? I never argued against paternity leave, but this was about maternity leave. I think both parents should get time off. And by being for maternity leave, I am literally NOT for women just staying home to take care of their babies since clearly to get maternity leave at all means you are going back to work. One can't be for having some time with the new child or one must be for women just being in the kitchen and being housewives? Dude, get some logic skills.

Yea but

Of course, but thinking critically is tough for people here, yo.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I wonder if she gave even two seconds to the notion that not all mothers are as fortunate and well-off as her? Not likely, that'd go against the FYGM way. :rolleyes:
Actually, to her credit she did. She commented about how she needed extra time off due to medical issues associated with her pregnancy, and recognized that she was able to due to her good circumstances, but that many other women didn't get that opportunity.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Actually, to her credit she did. She commented about how she needed extra time off due to medical issues associated with her pregnancy, and recognized that she was able to due to her good circumstances, but that many other women didn't get that opportunity.
At least she has some self-realization, that's something many conservatives lack. She was raised by a diehard republican, but at least he had some integrity to his character. He was no Donald...

It just makes me wonder if she would have had these 'realizations' or 'epiphanies' if it weren't for her own pregnancy. I can't help but have doubts.
Conservatives need to actually fall into someone else's shoes in order for them to understand the day-to-day life of the majority of Americans.
It's good that she made these comments publicly because it won't hurt the debate on it. On the other hand...she's a fucking woman. Why was a pregnancy necessary for her to come to these realizations? Seems ridiculous. It's similar to the 'voting against your own best interests' conundrum.