Class A8N Sli Premium Q - Windows install wont run..

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I had to recover a 2002 windows xp system and finally found a mobo that had sata and pata on it.. my classic a8n sli with athlon 64 x2 4400.

So fun thing was I couldn't get windows to even load the installer. I used the w10 usb media creator, i put windows 7 iso on usb and dvd, none of it even boots up.

I was able to boot into symantec ghost usb and clone a pata into a sata for work tomorrow but weird thing is this mobo wont load any of the windows installer. I need to look for some original boot media. It either reboots after posting or it sits there blinking. Last time i used this board was probably 2005/2006. Anyone have any clue what I should try..

I figure i might run into more of my boss's fk tard reasoning for keeping stuff on pata since 2001. I should get this working just in case

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I just got my hand on a retail windows 7 dvd.. seems to install.. wonder why the usb version created by rufus isn't working.. weird

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Most of those mobos in that pre-C2D era use electrolytic capacitors and they should be faulty by now. Check for bulging, leaking or blown caps.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Most of those mobos in that pre-C2D era use electrolytic capacitors and they should be faulty by now. Check for bulging, leaking or blown caps.
Yeah, sadly, many boards of that era (pre-Phenom II / pre-solid cap) didn't survive that well. I've worked on a few OEM boxes, with AM2 CPUs (higher-end 5600+ and 6000+ rating ones), and they were really brutal to boards and caps and VRMs. Didn't help that the OEMs designed them as cheaply as possible, to fail right after 3-year warranty was up.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Ill recheck, i think they were okay.. does caps blown on power on usage or just random leakage even when power off and stored ?