Clarification around linking to your own Youtube videos, and similar

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
A few weeks ago I reported an individual that rampantly links to their own Youtube content, because my understanding was this violates forum self-promotion rules. But to date nothing has been done, and he continues to do it.

Indeed, I used to write for a tech website back in the day which I made no money from, but official forum policy was that I was only allowed a simple link in my signature. This was actively enforced by some of the mods that are still around today.

Has forum policy changed? If so, please confirm that all Anandtech forum users are entitled to link to their Youtube, blogs, reviews, websites, etc. Why should one individual be able to promote his Youtube content whenever he pleases but the rest of us can't?

Thank you.

Last edited:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
"If so, please confirm that all Anandtech forum users are entitled to link to their Youtube, blogs, reviews, websites, etc."

All users, when they qualify to have a sig, may post a simple link to their website (as long as the website content doesn't violate any of the other rules) in their sig. All Anandtech forum users are not entitled to just link in their posts to their Youtube, blogs, reviews websites, etc..

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
All Anandtech forum users are not entitled to just link in their posts to their Youtube, blogs, reviews websites, etc..
Thanks, so now the mods need to follow up with psolord because he still constantly links to his youtube channel (toutagamon) after I reported it.

That's the most recent one but there are many others all over the forum. He admitted it was his youtube channel and I sent proof to the mods when they asked.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Is the linking of his videos relevant to the discussion/topic at hand?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Is the linking of his videos relevant to the discussion/topic at hand?
See, that's absolutely not the same as only allowing a simple link in your sig, which is how it was enforced on me back then.

If that's how it works now then we need that clarified.

E.g. linking to your website/youtube/blog/etc is allowed any time in forum posts, as long as it's on-topic.

Either the rest of us should be entitled to do exactly what he does, or he needs to be forced to stop. I'm just asking for clarification which.

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Don't read into my question with some already-thought-up answer.

I asked a simple question, that you didn't answer.
Please answer my question.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I do believe that video is somewhat related to the topic. From what I have seen in that thread, there are at least several videos shared there that are benchmark related, for various games at various settings on different hardware. I can't confirm who shared what though, or if any of the members own those channels.

I will let BFG10K answer the question for himself as well, I just wanted to chime in real quick.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
See, that's absolutely not the same as only allowing a simple link in your sig, which is how it was enforced on me back then.

If that's how it works now then we need that clarified.

E.g. linking to your website/youtube/blog/etc is allowed any time in forum posts, as long as it's on-topic.

Either the rest of us should be entitled to do exactly what he does, or he needs to be forced to stop. I'm just asking for clarification which.

See, l I did not say they were the same. They're not. One is a simple link in a sig. The other is material posted. You and everyone else can have a simple link in their sig (if it doesn't violate content rules). Everyone can't just post links to their websites, blogs, etc. willy-nilly in threads unless the content is relevant to the thread and, usually, unless it is difficult to repost the information in the thread here.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
To his credit, for the longest time, pictures and other media elements had to be hosted somewhere else on the internet by the poster, and linked in to the threads.

So if that was allowed and encourage for the longest time, how is that different than this situation, except he's sharing snippets of playthrough videos, rather than screenshots with frame-grabs.

Is the fact that the media type is video, rather than picture, should that be disqualified here? Are AT anti-video-format?