Clarification and Addendum to the "No Insults" Rule

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
There is one school of thought out there which holds that any mod who wants to mod P&N surely must have some manner of brain defect or defects, the only question being whether or not it has been diagnosed yet :D :p

Seriously though, jot down the pro's versus con's of being a mod here. If you can come up with three reasons under the pro's column then please pm me because that makes you over-qualified as a candidate mod and we are always looking for fresh suckers faces in the mod corps :whiste:

(my pro's column lists (1) it beats being over-bled by leaches, (2) everyone loves you if you are a mod, (3) all your peers in the mod ranks love you for your super-awesomeness as a mod, and (4) it beats being over-bled by leaches...I had 4 on my list, we do count redundant entries, which made me over-qualified for super-mod so they appointed me to admin ;))

You are a mod for the only reason that matters....

Before you is a canvas and in your mind is a scene... You know you have the ability to create what your mind sees on the canvas... You also see a few flitty creatures wishing to land on your canvas and muck it up a bit. So you try to find the way to both allow the flitty bits to do their thing while also applying the oils to the canvas. It takes awhile for oils to dry but mediums can be used to quicken that... and there will always be flitty bits. Too much medium and you muck up the canvas yourself and too little ain't right either...

You can have no other motive to be a Mod because you don't seek power.... it is not reflected in your work.... Nope... it is all about the Canvas... and a dream and those flitty bits...

IMO

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Them flitty bits got too active, now my canvas looks like:

475px-The_Scream.jpg

:D

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Hehhehehehe Munch, Munch them flitty bits...

That was the perfect painting to respond... love it...

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
(my pro's column lists (1) it beats being over-bled by leaches, (2) everyone loves you if you are a mod, (3) all your peers in the mod ranks love you for your super-awesomeness as a mod, and (4) it beats being over-bled by leaches...I had 4 on my list, we do count redundant entries, which made me over-qualified for super-mod so they appointed me to admin ;))

You forgot (5) you cannot be on anyone's ignore list

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
There is one school of thought out there which holds that any mod who wants to mod P&N surely must have some manner of brain defect or defects, the only question being whether or not it has been diagnosed yet :D :p

Seriously though, jot down the pro's versus con's of being a mod here. If you can come up with three reasons under the pro's column then please pm me because that makes you over-qualified as a candidate mod and we are always looking for fresh suckers faces in the mod corps :whiste:

:D +1

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

I don't subscribe to the theory that attempting to do good for the sake of doing good even when it will be a seemingly overwhelming challenge means you have a brain defect, even if that theory is becoming more and more popular every day. If fact, I think not accepting those types challenges is more of an indicator of having a brain defect. ;)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Seriously though, jot down the pro's versus con's of being a mod here.

If you can come up with three reasons under the pro's column then please pm me because that makes you over-qualified as a candidate mod and we are always looking for fresh suckers faces in the mod corps :whiste:

I don't believe that is true.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
No he wasn't. They just keep telling Dave the opposite every time he applies. 'Oh, sorry, we don't have any openings right now but we'll call you when we do.'

Wait? They tell me the same thing! HEY! :reallyangryface:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So you also going to ban people who ridicule people base upon their religion or just ridicules religion as a whole? Arent they insulting people of fait?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So you also going to ban people who ridicule people base upon their religion or just ridicules religion as a whole? Arent they insulting people of fait?
I think insulting large groups of people based on the choices they make is still fair game. I think it is just the personal insults that can be modded down in addition to the always frowned upon insulting groups of people based on their genetics.

Dec 30, 2004
only the person or persons being insulted by a poster may report the post/poster as far as the moderators are going to be concerned when it comes to enforcing the "no insults" rule.

this seems like a good rule.

Dec 30, 2004
There is one school of thought that views insults and personal attacks as one aspect of expressing disagreement, but also views it as the least effective form of disagreement.

Graham's hierarchy of disagreement is a decent embodiment of this school of thought.

Now this hierarchy is captured in the infographic:

GrahamsHierarchyofDisagreement.png

The thinking goes that lower levels in the hierarchy are less and less effective in communicating much of value.

Name calling is hardly a useful retort. Everyone recognizes this and yet people think it even if they know well enough to not type it.

At the same time we all appreciate a well constructed post, a DH6 caliber position statement or rebuttal. They are enjoyable to read as a thread lurker, and they can be the most intoxicating form of communication when it comes to actually swaying someone's opinion on a topic.

The question I come away with is "what value is there to come from censoring those individuals who operate at the DH0/DH1 mentality?"

We can all parse their posts, choose to ignore them, and move on to the higher quality DH3+ posts. By being DH0 they've already rendered their position in the discussion irrelevant, not a single individual is going to be swayed in the discussion by one person's DH0 rebuttal.

So what benefit is there in silencing the DH0?

wow, you've thought about this a lot, that's hardcore

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

I think insulting large groups of people based on the choices they make is still fair game. I think it is just the personal insults that can be modded down in addition to the always frowned upon insulting groups of people based on their genetics.

This is where ideality meets reality.

Ideally we would not allow discrimination. Period. Exclamation point. Period.

But the reality is that we can barely keep our heads above water combating the blatant racism (let alone the subtle stuff).

Going after discrimination across the board, stamping out intolerance and so forth, is the dream. But Rome wasn't built in a day and right now we'd be doing good to get a handle on the trolls at the moment.

When it comes right down to it, judging others and condemning them for their belief in xyz is pretty much what this forum is all about at this time. And that basically means this forum is about committing acts of discrimination and intolerance against one another, guided by prejudice with a side of socioeconomic bias.

So if we ride into this town on our horses, brandish our shiny sheriff badges and start arresting everyone who discriminates against their fellow human then we'll have all the townsfolk locked up in a fortnight. Nobody wants that.