Claim Win10 upgrade without actually upgrading right now?

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999
I have a work PC that I can't upgrade. However in a year or so I'll get a new work PC and the old one will be mine. Unfortunately that will be out of the window to claim a free Win10 upgrade. Any solutions?

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Is it possible to do an in-place upgrade, have it activated, then roll back to the previous os? Hopefully that will then allow you to upgrade to 10 again after the computer becomes yours.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Yes it is and is what you have to do in order to preserve the ability to use 10 with your hardware after the first year expires from the original release date of 10.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Upgrade in place, activate 10 and once confirmed then use the roll back feature and return to 7.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What OS do you have? If it is an Enterprise version, it won't be eligible for the Windows 10 update anyway.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I love getting computers from work when they replace them.

^ yeah, if it's Win 7 enterprise (if it's a major office firm it'll likely have that version), that may be a problem.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Here's a crazy idea. Let me know if it wouldn't work:

Clone the hard drive on your work PC onto a second hard drive or SSD.

Put the second hard drive or SSD it. Upgrade it to Windows 10 to claim your "free" upgrade.

Put the old hard drive in it, and enjoy Windows 7 for a few more weeks.

When they give you the old PC to take home, put your new hard drive in it and enjoy Windows 10. Then reformat the old drive and use it for additional storage.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013

Put the second hard drive or SSD it. Upgrade it to Windows 10 to claim your "free" upgrade.

When they give you the old PC to take home, put your new hard drive in it and enjoy Windows 10. Then reformat the old drive and use it for additional storage.

That should work, while simultaneously breaching nearly every clause in any standard Acceptable Use Policy, as well as who knows how many other data protection clauses in his employment contract.

OP needs to remember that this is a company owned PC and more than likely isn't his to dink around with to this extent. IMO a $100 operating system upgrade is not worth risking employment.

readymix

Jan 3, 2007
wait it out. my hunch is the 1 year gets extended and/or a sweetener gets tossed in. But have a plan nonetheless.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002

I did something similar, as I am not ready to put my desktop to 10 quite yet.
- Cloned my SSD to a hard drive when 10 was 'ready'.
- Upgraded the hard drive to 10.
- Put the hard drive in a drawer.
- Just last week, downloaded the latest 10 to a flash driver.
- Pulled the hard drive out of the shelf and did a fresh install (formatted the drive first) of the latest build off the flash drive.

When it completed, instant activation.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
That should work, while simultaneously breaching nearly every clause in any standard Acceptable Use Policy, as well as who knows how many other data protection clauses in his employment contract.

OP needs to remember that this is a company owned PC and more than likely isn't his to dink around with to this extent. IMO a $100 operating system upgrade is not worth risking employment.

Not every company in the world is as anal retentive about their "precious" data as publically traded companies are. Hell, some of the smaller ones don't even have IT departments.

If the company lets him keep his old PC for personal use when he gets a new one, odds are that he's not working at a place like a stock exchange or weapons manufacturer who's paranoid about information security.

But, yeah, he should read his company IT guidelines before pulling a stunt like this.