Civilization V Coming This Fall

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Me neither, at least I don't think 2k/Firaxis is willing to invest the time and money to pull out all the stops and bring us what we want.

Hopefully we aren't heading for the future of Civ:

civ6.jpg

Question: is this a screen grab from the full version of Civ V?

if so, why is there a massive facebook button in the lower right corner?

:colbert:

oh, I see the other hilarious buttons. misspelling of Renaissance, etc. Some kind of spoof? hehe. is this the FB version of civ?

Last edited:

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006

oh, I see the other hilarious buttons. misspelling of Renaissance, etc. Some kind of spoof? hehe. is this the FB version of civ?

lol check out this thread over at CF.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

Yeah it's a spoof of the game's simple mechanics and yes the FB part is because Civ is coming to FB ala Farmville style.

lol check out this thread over at CF.

ROFL:

xtremeultimatecollector.jpg

http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/dlc_october

Free DLC coming on Monday. Collectors Edition Civilization for 5 dollars.

Err, guys, fix the game before you start making DLC.

Err they didn't work on new DLC, they just stripped that out of the game before shipping it and now want to resell it to us. I'll say this though, they must be really out of touch with their audience if they still are trying to sell add on content for $5 despite a large part of the Civ population wanting to dip a certain dev team in hot oil.

And lol Khan and his horsemen, the most over powered unit meets up with another crazy aggressive AI.

Last edited:

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Man, what a disappointment. What the hell is going on with new games? Idiocracy was supposed to be just a movie it was not supposed to become reality!

The game is even worse than Civ 3, which I thought they could never top in terms of making a more disappointing Civ game.

Why am I unhappy with it?

1. The AI is horrible. I don't understand how you can simplify the game mechanics and end up with a more incapable AI. Typically it works the other way around.

2. The diplomacy is a joke. I put Gems on the table and ask what can make this deal work. The response? It's impossible. Then I add his Ivory to the table and hit Propose. He happily agrees. WTF? Where the hell do I see the guy's disposition towards me? Or is it now just represented with this abstract system of "HOSTILE" ?? But clearly there is something else in the background I dont know why they deemed it necessary to hide the details from us unlike Civ 4 which showed us all the modifiers. One nation hated me all the time never wanted to deal with me and I couldn't understand why. They were not "HOSTILE" but clearly they had some grudge. If this was Civ 4 I'd see a tooltip explain he pluses/minuses and I'd immediately know and be satisfied. Now I'm just sitting here scratching my head.

3. 1UPT = FAIL. I was really all for the idea of 1UPT (1 unit per tile) but in practice it's a giant pain in the ass. Neutral nations clutter the screen so you have to play one of those tile sliding puzzles to figure out a way across the map.

4. Unit maintenance. I dont mind paying some fixed price to maintain units, but the fact that unit maintenance goes up exponentially as you build more units makes no sense to me. It seems to have nothing to do with "supply" which I am not sure how factors into the game yet. It's especially weird how I can build one worker and my maintenance goes up by like 11 gold per turn. Then I build another worker and my maintenance did not go up at all. then next worker and it's another big hit on unit maintenance. I really dont understand how this works.

Aside from that, I am cool with combat in general when my units can actually reach the front lines and not playing leapfrog with neutral units. I just don't understand why archers have a range of 2 while musketmen, riflemen and infantry are melee units - Huh ???

The map and resource system is nice. I like that units consume resources so it's no longer the case that if you own a small outcropping of hematite you can construct a billion swordsmen. Now it's 1 unit of iron = 1 swordsman.

I dont like that building maintenance is back but I guess they had to do it to accomodate the fact that now happiness is what's used to keep the player from expanding instead of city maintenance. I dont know if its just me but I am having hard time producing enough gold for my buildings and especially units which go up exponentially.

Overall: I regret paying full price for this. I wish I waited until it hit the bargain bin

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
. I dont know if its just me but I am having hard time producing enough gold for my buildings and especially units which go up exponentially.

I find it near impossible to juggle gold and happines. Its like you have one or the other, never a happy middle ground of both. And if you aren't blessed with having any gold, silver or gem deposits near your initial starting spot, you better fight like hell to get to one fast.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
Well, I tried the demo for a bit....guess I'm glad I didn't purchase this one at launch afterall. I'm a huge Civ fan and am still interrested in keeping an eye on this one, but the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion (at this point in time), when previous Civ games are already so much fun. I've never been in a hurry to upgrade to the next Civ game, because they've always seemed like more of a graphics refresh than anything else -- sure, a couple of positive gameplay changes, a couple of negative ones. The changes in this one seem very unfocused compared to previous attempts. Maybe it's just not quite finished.

It's also unfortunate the way they are approaching the new DLC method. Sure, everyone's doing it, but the vast majority of DLC is simply not worth the price. You've just sold me black coffee, but you're not even nickle-and-diming me for the cream or sugar. Instead you offer...an upgrade to the default cardboard cupholder???? For 10-20% of the price of the coffee???????? Yeah, I doubt I'd even let you sell me the cream and sugar.

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005
I put Gems on the table and ask what can make this deal work. The response? It's impossible. Then I add his Ivory to the table and hit Propose. He happily agrees. WTF?

Not discounting the rest of your post, but the "it's impossible" response when you ask what can make this deal work means that the AI does not think that a fair offer can be made. This doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't offering enough, but it may be that the AI doesn't have enough to offer back.

For example, if you offer a luxury resource and all the AI has to trade back is 1 gold, then it will tell you it's impossible. However, if you manually put the trade in, the AI will happily agree to the terms.

It's not necessarily the best mechanic (the AI should at least give you a low-ball offer then), but that's what happened.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Man, what a disappointment. What the hell is going on with new games? Idiocracy was supposed to be just a movie it was not supposed to become reality!

:hmm:

I don't think the point of Idiocracy is that we start making shitty games...it's that we devolve into idiocy because we start caring far too much about shit that doesn't matter--games being part of it. lol

exhibit A: this thread. :D
;)

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I've gone back to Civ4 BTS with the PIG mod. I hate the stack of doom but CiV just does not hold my interest to make it worth playing.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
This has to be the most extreme case of a game having overwhelmingly positive reviews by the press, but hated by the community.

I think Civ lifers tend to be an overly-scrutinizing bunch of old men who fear change. Yes the game is flawed, but it's far from unplayable. People who claim that sound like insane babies.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
i have a feeling the civ5 they released was designed with future console releases in mind. it's heavily consolized, in fact i've seen several Civ Rev fans on the civ forums saying how much they love the game. they're not trying to appeal to long time PC gamers anymore, they want new casual gamers. civ5 is no more than a glorified Civ Rev. they should've released this game on the consoles as Civ Rev 2 instead on the PC.

Highmodulus

Nov 10, 2005
I am a Civ 4 guy, and like 5. It has issues, but the first patch will help. Remember this is the same thing we saw with the Civ 4 launch (especially from the hardcore Civ 3 players).

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I find it annoying and painfully funny the AI and Barbarians won't attack each other unless the Barbarians are near an AI's city.

And yep - it's annoying not knowing how an AI feels about you - so I just ignore them and concentrate on being friendly with city states who I can benefit from. :)

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I find it annoying and painfully funny the AI and Barbarians won't attack each other unless the Barbarians are near an AI's city.

And yep - it's annoying not knowing how an AI feels about you - so I just ignore them and concentrate on being friendly with city states who I can benefit from. :)

Yeah the barbarian AI is quite humorous.

In one case - I have a scout running around mapping the terrain. I end turn on a hex where I come into view of a barbarian encampment 2 hexes away, and also a neutral AI civilization's warrior standing right next to the encampment on the other side. I figure - I'll hit the end turn button and watch the fight between them.

But what happens totally surprised me and defied logic - the AI unit I guess did nothing and just stood there (it wasn't hurt though, I remember they had 100% health) but then when it was the barbarians turn he runs out of his encampment 2 hexes away and attacks my scout, killing it. He did that just to spite me!

Last edited:

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I am a Civ 4 guy, and like 5. It has issues, but the first patch will help. Remember this is the same thing we saw with the Civ 4 launch (especially from the hardcore Civ 3 players).

Can't say I am a Civ3 fan. At that time Civ 2 was still my favorite. But I fell in love with Civ 4 very quickly. I quickly realized it's a quality product that offered a great fun factor and strong addiction factor. I really do hope a patch will help Civ5 - and it should because the biggest gripe I have is to do with AI and that can be fixed - if they are willing to put in the necessary effort to do it right.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

If you go to the diplomacy screen it tells you if the AI is "hostile" or not.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
If you go to the diplomacy screen it tells you if the AI is "hostile" or not.

yeah but not WHY
The old Civs would tell you "I'm hostile cuz XYZ"
This time around its just "Hrmmppph. I don't like you!"
Well shit... give me a REASON dude and lets work it out!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
And they are all pretty much pissed off at you no matter what.

Yeah that's a good point. No matter what I do they get all POed.

Side note WTH are the "cooperation pacts" and such? I dont get what those and similar pacts do.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

Side note WTH are the "cooperation pacts" and such? I dont get what those and similar pacts do.

Everyone is surmising that they may do something in the future, but right now it seems like they are there to 'spice' things up making it sound like you have a pact of cooperation or a secret agreement when in fact they are useless.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

Why do they have to rename these things to these dumbed down crap anyway? Civ4 did it too. Whats wrong with 'Cease-Fire', 'Peace Treaty', 'Open Borders', and 'Defensive Pact'?