Civilization V: Brave New World

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I've read a few reviews and they're all positive, stating that the end game has been improved with the expansion. That's a good thing because I always find the end game the least exciting part of Civ games.

Madia

May 2, 2006
I've read a few reviews and they're all positive, stating that the end game has been improved with the expansion. That's a good thing because I always find the end game the least exciting part of Civ games.

A lot of the games I've played I knew I won but continued for another half hour or more just to finish the game. The end game was definitely the weakest part of Civ 5. I'm glad they improved it so I can remain engaged hopefully throughout the entire game. Firaxis's thinking with the sequels was that Civ 5 had an enjoyable early game but couldn't hold the momentum the entire game. Gods & Kings attempted to fix the mid game and Brave New World attempted to fix the end game. It should also be noted they've said that they'll continue patching after Brave New World so hopefully we'll get a great game from start to finish. Gamespot posted their review (9.5):

http://www.gamespot.com/sid-meiers-...e-new-world-review-6411136/?tag=Topslot;Slot2

For those who've been waiting it seems like the perfect time to grab Civ 5 gold edition (there should be a steam summer sale any day now) and then pick up Brave New World.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Can't wait to try out the new stuff tonight, me and at least three friends are ready to go. Hopefully a few more of them get off their asses and pick it up :D

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Oh it's releasing today? Nice! Now I know what i'll be playing tonight!

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
A lot of the games I've played I knew I won but continued for another half hour or more just to finish the game. The end game was definitely the weakest part of Civ 5. I'm glad they improved it so I can remain engaged hopefully throughout the entire game. Firaxis's thinking with the sequels was that Civ 5 had an enjoyable early game but couldn't hold the momentum the entire game. Gods & Kings attempted to fix the mid game and Brave New World attempted to fix the end game. It should also be noted they've said that they'll continue patching after Brave New World so hopefully we'll get a great game from start to finish. Gamespot posted their review (9.5):

http://www.gamespot.com/sid-meiers-...e-new-world-review-6411136/?tag=Topslot;Slot2

For those who've been waiting it seems like the perfect time to grab Civ 5 gold edition (there should be a steam summer sale any day now) and then pick up Brave New World.

Generally in the first 3/4 hours you can tell if you've won or not. It was just a grind fest at the end :(

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
cool so far.

I'm only into the 1500's on my first game, but I will say that the AI seems a lot less antagonistic. 1554 AD and no war has been declared between any Civ's. it's strange to actually be able to build a foundation without fighting off attacks every other turn.

(playing on a small continent map and it's only me and Byzantium on our one continent, but England, France, and Egypt are all sharing borders on another continent and no war has ever been declared)

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
So if I own Civ5, do I need to buy this and the other expansion to fully benefit from a fleshed out Civ5 or can I just buy this expansion and it covers it all?

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
So if I own Civ5, do I need to buy this and the other expansion to fully benefit from a fleshed out Civ5 or can I just buy this expansion and it covers it all?

I would buy both. Gods and Kings added Religion and other cool mechanics while balancing and fleshing out the Policies.

Both are "must haves" imo.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Anyone have any issues with running Civ5? I couldn't get it to run this morning. Ran a verify cache check, but it was still running when I left for work. Hoping that fixed the issue.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Damn, waiting on a sexy Steam sale where I can pick up these expansions for cheap. $30(x2) on top of the vanilla game is quite a hefty amount of money.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005

If you have Civ 5 you can "Gold Edition" it for $20 on Steam which gives you everything but this new expansion and is definitely worth it.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I would buy both. Gods and Kings added Religion and other cool mechanics while balancing and fleshing out the Policies.

Both are "must haves" imo.

I'm pretty certain that the new expansion includes religion and those core aspects. It just doesn't include the civs and scenerios bundled with Gods and Kings which is not a game breaker. There are a ton of civs already.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I'm pretty certain that the new expansion includes religion and those core aspects. It just doesn't include the civs and scenerios bundled with Gods and Kings which is not a game breaker. There are a ton of civs already.

See that's my question, I don't necessarily want to pay 20 bucks or whatever for a few civs and scenarios when it's the gameplay additions I most want.

Nov 3, 2004
See that's my question, I don't necessarily want to pay 20 bucks or whatever for a few civs and scenarios when it's the gameplay additions I most want.

why don't you just buy Brave New World and install it, and if it gives you what you want, then ignore Gods and Kings.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
I picked this up today. Pretty cool so far. If anyone here is game I'm always up for some Civ multiplayer action.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
looks like they nerfed how quickly civs can obtain gold early on, which means that the AI has less money to buy units with (leading it to be less warmongering early on).

I wish you could be given some credit from other civs for dealing with a particularly antagonistic civilization, though... Japan setup cities right on my borders and went to war with an allied city state, so obviously I had to DOW them and raze/puppet the cities they planted on my continent. but then half the other civs denounce me as a result.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I haven't gotten to play past like... turn 60/70 yet so I haven't seen a lot of the new mechanics except for Trade Routes, but I really like some of the ideas behind them. Especially when using them between your own cities to kind of 'power level' a new one, very useful.

However I did get to try Morocco the other night which has some great potential. Their building is awesome, and from the sounds of it some of the other new civs have some really really interesting unique traits.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Like the new mechanics, especially the trade routes (man, that really helps to keep gold churning out), however, I'm finding I'm a little bored because the AI seems to be very passive even with Caesar, the Celtic chick and another normally aggressive leader. Only one has made snide comments, but no one has gone to war or even come close to it.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I heard that they were more passive as well. I even had a settler survive standing next to some barbarians for one turn accidentally, they didn't capture it. Evidently that's a bug that will be getting fixed shortly according to my Civ fanatic friend, could be related if they use some of the same resources.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Greenmangaming has the expansion for $29.99, but seems to have a deal where you either get $4 'cash back' or $6 site credit.