Civilization Network

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Sid Meyer says...

(Emphasis mine... on the pertinent parts of the post)

A message from Sid Meier!

Hello Civ Fans!

I wanted to let you know we?ll soon be looking for beta testers to help us develop a unique new way to play Civilization. Ever since we finished Civilization® Revolution? last year, I?ve been looking at ways of expanding the Civ gameplay experience to include solo, competitive and cooperative play to take advantage of the uniqueness of social networks. [We?re calling this project Civilization® Network? and the full game will be available next year on Facebook. Civilization Network will allow you to join together with your friends to create the world?s most powerful, richest, smartest, or just plain coolest civilization. You can coordinate your strategy to win great battles, share your technology to jump ahead of your rivals, lobby your family and friends to form your own government and win vital elections, manage and grow your cities to maximize production and happiness, spy on your enemies, and work with your friends to create the great Wonders of the World. The game will offer everything you enjoy in Civ in a fully persistent environment - you can play as much as you like, whenever you like, and it?ll be free to play.

We?ll offer a closed beta of the game soon, so stay tuned for details on how you can sign-up to participate. The full game will launch in 2010. For more information about Civilization Network, including development updates and behind-the-scenes posts from me and the Firaxis team, join our Facebook fanpage here.

Thanks and Stay Civilized!

Sid Meier
Director of Creative Development
Firaxis Games

Hello! I think I just creamed a little. I can see many-a-workday being ruined now.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
It certainly has a lot of potential and the right person making it, but I'll wait till it's out to get excited about it

teb468

Jul 18, 2005
I can only imagine how many hours I'll lose to this if its anything like the others

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
While I'm always excited about a Sid Meier game... it's a Facebook game? Seriously? Like Mafia Wars and that shit? I've never once bothered with one of those, seems pretty stupid. First the consolized Civ Revolution shit, now this. WTF, Sid? Show real gamers some love. :(

Still, it is Sid Meier. If anyone can make it work...

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
just because it's a facebook game doesn't mean it will be bad. With Sid behind it this could be good. I just wonder how much they will dumb it down for the majority of online players.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: acheron
While I'm always excited about a Sid Meier game... it's a Facebook game? Seriously? Like Mafia Wars and that shit? I've never once bothered with one of those, seems pretty stupid. First the consolized Civ Revolution shit, now this. WTF, Sid? Show real gamers some love. :(

Still, it is Sid Meier. If anyone can make it work...

Honestly, knowing what I know about Flash and/or Silverlight - I'm actually surprised no one has come out with a Flash or Silverlight based Civ yet. You can pretty much make Civ, minus some of the prettier animations, using Flash. Hell, the original Civ should be pretty damn simple to do in Flash.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
A lot of Sid's later era games were designed by other teams, with Sid as 'creative director'. Has he retained his chops? Or could he be going all Richard Garriot on it?

Facebook game does not enthuse me. Still, this sort of thing could work well, if done right. An easy drop in, drop out RTS or Empire builder game with persistance could be pretty interesting.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
About 1 month ago I stopped playing my last Facebook Game(Mob Wars). Partly due to the Game getting too stupid, but to a large extent because Facebook Games lag like a Mofo becoming very annoying at times.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
not a facebook person... this game is not relevant to me.

just bring out CIV 5 already... enough time wasted by putting Civ on consoles and phones...

or even SMAC 2 would be nice

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Originally posted by: minmaster
not a facebook person... this game is not relevant to me.

just bring out CIV 5 already...

What he said. I'm really only interested in offline, singleplayer CIV...

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Originally posted by: Arglebargle
A lot of Sid's later era games were designed by other teams, with Sid as 'creative director'. Has he retained his chops? Or could he be going all Richard Garriot on it?

Facebook game does not enthuse me. Still, this sort of thing could work well, if done right. An easy drop in, drop out RTS or Empire builder game with persistance could be pretty interesting.

I haven't liked the last few 'Sid' games like Railroads! which he said he worked on. Civ IV was/is awesome but I don't think he had anything to do with it.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
I loved CIV, but Alpha Centauri was the crown jewel, in my estimation. Brian Reynolds was, perhaps, more responsible for that than Sid. Though the idea that anyone will continually come up with killer games year after year is pretty unrealistic.

caivoma

Sep 3, 2004
CIV is one of my favorite game series although I just skeptical when it comes to MMORPG nowaday.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
It never ceases to amaze me how much blood Sid can manage to squeeze out of the stone that is civ 4. :p

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
Originally posted by: Whitecloak
give me smac

Indeed, we need alpha centauri 2 already; the first is still the best civ game imo : (

Sadly I think EA owns the rights to it. There is a SMAC mod for CIV IV though over at the civfanatics forum.