Civilization gameplay

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
I purchased Civ IV back when it was first released. I believe this was one the first games where fat boxes and fancy art got me to purchase. Played that game for very little and never really gave it a chance. To me, it felt like an animated chess game. Like win or lose, start new game, rinse and repeat.

What I'd like to know is what keeps driving Civ players to play? The game looks like it would get old fast. In other words, If I picked a favorite leader and won. What is the ambition to keep doing this over and over. To my knowledge there are no levels or campaign...

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
There are a ton of gameplay variations. Changing civs, changing strats, streamlining your favorites for maximum pwnery. That's why there is a ton of replay to these games....if you like the genre. Do you like any turn based strategy games? Any RTS?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Civ/Civ 2/Civ 4 are the only good ones, IMO. Lots of replayability, certainly more dynamic than Chess, which also has lots of replayability.

Reactions: paperfist

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
There are a ton of gameplay variations. Changing civs, changing strats, streamlining your favorites for maximum pwnery. That's why there is a ton of replay to these games....if you like the genre. Do you like any turn based strategy games? Any RTS?

I enjoyed Starcraft 2 campaign. Let me ask you this if you have a favorite leader picked and want to keep using him over and over... Do gain anything from the first game you finish, or is it start from scratch all over again? I feel like after I complete a win with any given leader I would be done. And especially if advanced warfare works and I know it works I'm not the kind to really experiment with another strategy if I already have a working one.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I enjoyed Starcraft 2 campaign. Let me ask you this if you have a favorite leader picked and want to keep using him over and over... Do gain anything from the first game you finish, or is it start from scratch all over again? I feel like after I complete a win with any given leader I would be done. And especially if advanced warfare works and I know it works I'm not the kind to really experiment with another strategy if I already have a working one.

Even if you pick the same leader over and over the game is not the same. The AI or people you place against change the whole landscape and it never has the same feel.

Maps and resources are different. Peace, war and trade are different.

-
Almost sounds like you're playing on chieftain which would be a breeze no matter how many times you play.

Heck I find that barbarians alone can make or break my game.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Try getting one of each kind of victory and then you can call the game done if you like.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
This sounds oddly similar to any player contemplating replaying an RTS genre. If you like the gameplay, you'll replay the game. I've owned Civ V and expansions for a few years and played maybe 30 minutes before getting bored. I thought the combat would be similar to the Total War series where you move "pieces" around on the map, then actually engage in battles.