Civilization 5

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
sorry, I disagree, obviously, since I've played every game since Civ1 in 1991 (at plenty of high difficulties), and I'm pretty happy with Civ5. I would say it's more likely that Civ5 bashers never played the games prior to Civ4, since almost everybody's complaint is "it's not Civ4", as if they don't realize the Civ games change every time.

I have the same track record as you and have sunk hundreds of hours into Civ IV on and off line past Warlord difficulty.

Civ V I'm not really into. I didn't sink a lot of time into it when it first came out. The 2nd to last patch I put about 50 hours in, but it just doesn't draw you in like the other versions did. I plan to play again, but not expecting much, they deleted too many details from this version and added in too many ideas that didn't get flushed out.

I think trying to pigeon hole people into why they like or don't like 5 is impossible because if you look at the civfantic forums you'll see no rhythm or reason to the hates and likes.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I've played every Civ game ever made, and Alpha Centauri which is my favorite by far over Civ (and needs a remake).

For some reason, I really like Civ 5, much more than the others, and have put in something like 130 hours so far. My only gripe is that the AI isn't hardly ever a challenge, but I had the same exact results in other Civ games (I'm wondering if people here played the same 3/4 I did).

On my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo system with 2GB and a 260, I can run the game at nearly max, but run into those 45 second turns mid-game during a Large/Huge map.

On my new 2600K/8GB/580, I run at max, and late game turns only take about 10 seconds, but I also have an SSD in this build, and I'm wondering if that helps.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
They really do need to make an updated Alpha Centauri, I bought it on GOG and play that from time to time. It was a ton of fun.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I've played every Civ game ever made, and Alpha Centauri which is my favorite by far over Civ (and needs a remake).

For some reason, I really like Civ 5, much more than the others, and have put in something like 130 hours so far. My only gripe is that the AI isn't hardly ever a challenge, but I had the same exact results in other Civ games (I'm wondering if people here played the same 3/4 I did).

On my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo system with 2GB and a 260, I can run the game at nearly max, but run into those 45 second turns mid-game during a Large/Huge map.

On my new 2600K/8GB/580, I run at max, and late game turns only take about 10 seconds, but I also have an SSD in this build, and I'm wondering if that helps.

That makes sense. I understand that some people like Civ5 for the same reason people like simcity - you can simply build stuff with zero risk or challenge and just fool around endlessly. For me, that got old by the second game. And that still goes back to my previous point #2.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
They really do need to make an updated Alpha Centauri, I bought it on GOG and play that from time to time. It was a ton of fun.

EA has the rights to SMAC franchise so its not like sid or firaxis can do anything about it...

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Couldn't Firaxis do a game like SMAC, but just not call it SMAC?

There's some interesting speculation about EA registering some trademarks for SMAC here: http://gnews.com/alpha-centauri-remake-might-not-be-light-years-away-13201101080411/

Then there's Sid talking about a remake: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sid-Meier-Is-Thinking-About-Remaking-Alpha-Centauri-142452.shtml

I love Sid and all, but his (if he actually had anything to do with them) remakes as of late have been pretty crappy.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Couldn't Firaxis do a game like SMAC, but just not call it SMAC?

I would think that at a minimum, it'd be difficult to enforce a copyright on it. Don't use the words Alpha Centauri or the names of the SMAC factions.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I would think that at a minimum, it'd be difficult to enforce a copyright on it. Don't use the words Alpha Centauri or the names of the SMAC factions.

I don't know much of copyright law, but to make a real successor I would think you'd want to include factions, spores, rovers and all that. I can't recall a game that was even remotely similar to AC in that regard so a remake would be very similar to the old.