Civ 5 is 75% off on Steam

heavyiron8

Aug 26, 2011
worth getting? I've never really gotten into turn based strategy games before... but seems like everyone loves the game though. Opss, wrong forum

Moved from L&R to PC Gaming per OP request.

Idontcare
Super Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
Umm... if you are making love or having relationships with games you are doing it wrong. :eek:

(wrong forum)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
worth getting? I've never really gotten into turn based strategy games before... but seems like everyone loves the game though. Opss, wrong forum

Wait, what? Not really. Most hate it as a dumbed down insult to the Civilization name and as a vehicle to sell half baked DLC.

75% is getting closer to a good price, but Civilization IV has been inexpensive for a while now, and its a MUCH better product.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Wait, what? Not really. Most hate it as a dumbed down insult to the Civilization name and as a vehicle to sell half baked DLC.

75% is getting closer to a good price, but Civilization IV has been inexpensive for a while now, and its a MUCH better product.

Thats what I keep reading/hearing since it's release. And since I hardly ever play Civ4....even for free, I would probably never play it either.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
hmm, 12.50 for a 90 meta game. It's pretty cheap, but I've heard a lot of bad things. I've never played any of the civ series though, I might like it since I don't have anything to compare it to. It's $6 less than civ 4 at this price.

Haha, I just saw this on the steam forums waiting for the dl to complete:

Read the EULA, it says the game may take your instant messaging, etc. contact lists, and publish them on their website...

I haven't read it obviously, but I wonder how many games have crazy agreements like this, and if any of them actually do it...

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
hmm, 12.50 for a 90 meta game. It's pretty cheap, but I've heard a lot of bad things. I've never played any of the civ series though, I might like it since I don't have anything to compare it to. It's $6 less than civ 4 at this price.

Civ4 launched in 2005, with BTS launching in mid-2007. Should tell you something if the 1 year old Civilization 5 is cheaper. :p

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Civ4 launched in 2005, with BTS launching in mid-2007. Should tell you something if the 1 year old Civilization 5 is cheaper. :p

I was thinking that, but I've read mixed reviews, some people hate it, some think it's great, but most agree at this price it's a steal, probably because of the newer graphics. I don't really like what the graphics look like on IV, it reminds me of the days of sid meiers railroads.

Since I haven't played this series yet I think I might get into it, and if it is dumbed down it's probably better since I don't really have a ton of time these days.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I was thinking that, but I've read mixed reviews, some people hate it, some think it's great, but most agree at this price it's a steal, probably because of the newer graphics. I don't really like what the graphics look like on IV, it reminds me of the days of sid meiers railroads.

Since I haven't played this series yet I think I might get into it, and if it is dumbed down it's probably better since I don't really have a ton of time these days.

I don't see any reason for you not to like it based on what you said. Seems to me it fits that profile. Reviews discuss it too.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I think Civ V should get a notoriety award here. I don't ever recall so many threads popping up about OPs who are interested in buying it only to have their hopes dashed by those who hate it. But, but, but it's only $8 how can I go wrong!

I don't have the game, but apparently there is a total conversion mod that rebuilt the game from the ground up. More info here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/09/mods-and-ends-civilization-v-nights/

Nice, gonna try it out, thanks for sharing.

I love RPS:

"Here’s three things I didn’t like. The AI, the computer opponents and the AI. The perceptive among you will notice what I’ve done there. I’ve effectively repeated the same thing three times. It’s very clever. Twice I actually used the exact same term. Read it again if you don’t believe me. "

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Can someone explain Pit Boss mode in Civ 5?

Not sure if it's exactly the same as it was for Civ IV but it's a multiplayer mode where you can log in and out to make your moves against other players. So if 3 people are playing in that online mode and someone has to leave they can log out. The other players can play their turns, but when it comes back to your turn the game kind of pauses for everyone else until you move. The other players can still look at the map and make changes to their cities while waiting.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Its not worth it, worst game in series so far by a long shot. Civ 4 is better in pretty much every way except graphics. If you havent played it and want a civ game just buy civ 4 instead.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
For $8, give it a go. I'm still bent cause I bought the dam special edition, and quit after about 19 hours. After all the updates, might have to give it another whirl myself, I loved I, II, and IV. III can burn in hell for eternity.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Post your opinion if you get it, Wyndru.

Sorry, busy weekend, I think the sale is over now. Yeah, I bought it, and actually love it so far. I have a very limited amount of playtime, and this kept me up until 3AM on the first night I got it, a little short on sleep now lol.

Like I mentioned before, I've never played any of the civ series so I don't have anything to compare it to, but this is fun to me. It's not so difficult to start that you need to read a lot about it, the beginner and tutorial modes assist you in getting started, and it looks like you can get pretty complex with the advanced game options if you'd like to. I haven't played a scenario yet.

It works fine on my older laptop (Dell XPS M1530) and the graphics are decent. I don't know if I would have paid full price for it, but it will probably keep me interested for a while, like most of the other Sid Meier games do.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I got it last month off GMG for $7.50. I like it. Definitely worth that price.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I don't have the game, but apparently there is a total conversion mod that rebuilt the game from the ground up. More info here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/09/mods-and-ends-civilization-v-nights/

I bought Civ5 when it was dirt cheap awhile back just to hide it away for mods like this. Gonna give this a try sometime.

The stock game/AI is horrendous though, and the slowdown between turns late in the game makes it near unplayable, still. Maybe that'll breathe some life into it for me.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
The stock game/AI is horrendous though, and the slowdown between turns late in the game makes it near unplayable, still. Maybe that'll breathe some life into it for me.

Yeah I've seen some quirks already, not sure if it's my computer or not...

-I when I start the game I can't skip the intro until about 1/2 way through it
-I get the slowdowns late game also, but if I keep manually clicking on new units it keeps up(rather than letting it automatically move to the next unit).
-It locked up and closed on me 2 times (which I heard could be solved by using DX9 instead of 11)

These are all minor to me though, especially for the amount of time I've already played it. This game reminds me of company of heroes, just with longer timelines and more units.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Sorry, busy weekend, I think the sale is over now. Yeah, I bought it, and actually love it so far. I have a very limited amount of playtime, and this kept me up until 3AM on the first night I got it, a little short on sleep now lol.

Like I mentioned before, I've never played any of the civ series so I don't have anything to compare it to, but this is fun to me. It's not so difficult to start that you need to read a lot about it, the beginner and tutorial modes assist you in getting started, and it looks like you can get pretty complex with the advanced game options if you'd like to. I haven't played a scenario yet.

It works fine on my older laptop (Dell XPS M1530) and the graphics are decent. I don't know if I would have paid full price for it, but it will probably keep me interested for a while, like most of the other Sid Meier games do.

Thanks, nice to hear the confirmation I suspected you would like it from your post:)

I'm actually not a big Sid Meier fan, like it seems almost everyone is.

Though his Civ games have kept me up in the night click addicted, too. Just not enjoying them terribly. Others I just barely play, like Pirates.

I think I played Alpha Cenauri once, it was like playing Star Trek Next Generation engineering, 'we need to flurp the hyper-ray into the nano-matrix loop'.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I've never played turn based strategy games before, but i'm having a lot of fun with Civ5.

I didn't get it due to the sale; i had it from long ago & just didn't get around to playing it much until recently.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Yeah I've seen some quirks already, not sure if it's my computer or not...

-I when I start the game I can't skip the intro until about 1/2 way through it
-I get the slowdowns late game also, but if I keep manually clicking on new units it keeps up(rather than letting it automatically move to the next unit).

That's really annoying that you can't skip the intro movie. I cringe all the time when launching the game because I know I'm going to get to hear, "This is lush, fertile land, we will do well here" for the umpteenth time.

Get used to late game slow downs, it's a trade mark of a civilization game.

Which is the most fun pack of Civ IV? I bought them all, but only played the stock.

You mean expansion pack? By far Beyond the Sword, it multiplies the base game's features by 3.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
This game reminds me of company of heroes, just with longer timelines and more units.

This, in a nutshell, is what disgusts fans of the series. (Unless you're just talking graphically?)