Citybuilders?

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Well I recently got back into the old Citybuilders from Sierra and am having a blast! However It's a shame they seemed to stop producing them after Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom. Am I missing something, is the genre still alive? I have never played any of the Civ games but I think its a bit different to the games mentioned above but correct me if I'm wrong- am I missing out?

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Impressions Games was closed, but they have a successor, Titled Mill.

Tilted Mill released Immortal Cities: Children of the Nile in 2004, and then released Caesar IV in 2006.
Caesar IV got a 54% from PC Gamer US, while Children of the Nile received an 80% from PC Gamer UK. That's all I remember.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Thanks for the info TehMac, a shame about Impressions. After googling Children of the Nile and Caesar IV it seems neither are too impressive based on some reviews going round. I guess nothing beats a classic :p.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Children of the nile is supposed to be pretty good. I should have it but haven't gotten around to picking it up. You can get C4 pretty cheap; it's not that itks a bad game. Series wise, it contains many enhancements/changes that you'd wish were in the other titles. The problem though is they went full 3d in this title so it can be a resource hog for low end computers and to minimize the hit on low and mid range machines the playable area for the various missions is much smaller then previous titles. Adds to one of the biggest detractions of the game in that the position of most buildings will matter not just for location to resources or effects on surrounding building but the effect on remaining buildable space.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Children of the Nile was pretty cool I thought, if only because it didn't look bland, and at the time, it was a VAST improvement from Pharaoh, one of my favorite Egypt- based games (probably because it was one of the only ones. :p)

Many classify at is an "RTS," PC Gamer UK classifying it as "quite a fun RTS" but it's more of a city builder. I'd be extremely interested in seeing an RTS with city building elements BESIDES the Total War series.

It'd be cool.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I thought C4 was ok, but the games get repatative after a bit.

And I mean all of the city builder games.
Been at it since C2 and all you get is some better graphics and a few new things, but not much else.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
Well for starters Impression Games first few city builders I played were Caesar III, Pharaoh, and Zeus. If you liked Emperor RotMK, then those games I listed are made by the same developers, each having their own little gameplay tweaks and mechanics. Zeus was my favorite one out of them all.

I think you can find a "gold edition" where it contains all of the games somewhere online.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, they used to have a gold edition with Cleopatra, Pharaoh, and Caesar 3, I think you can get it on Amazon for cheap. What I didn't like from playing the C4 demo, was that it still was boring. I want more of an RTS centric combat, and I have been half spoiled, half yearning for more with the Total War series.

I just wish they'd give me an Empire Building RTS--I build a city, fight other cities with massive armies, and still, I'm building a flourishing empire.