City worker fired after caring for dying wife

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-7-2013

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/city-worker-fired-caring-dying-wife-preps-lawsuit-171249710.html

City worker fired after caring for dying wife

A Lawrence, Mass., man fired from his public works job for taking too much time off to care for his dying wife is preparing to file a reverse racial-discrimination lawsuit—and that's just the tip of the iceberg in a firing that has spawned its share of news.

"We firmly believe that if Tom Sapienza was Hispanic and not white that he [would] have a job to come back to with the city of Lawrence,” Sapienza's attorney, Ellen Shimer-Brenes, told WHDH-TV.

Sapienza, a 41-year-old maintenance worker at Lawrence High School, was let go by the Department of Public Works in November after refusing to return from an unpaid leave of absence to care for his 40-year-old wife, Heather Sapienza. She died Jan. 3 after a 19-month battle with brain cancer.

But that's not all. On Friday, the man hired to replace Sapienza, fired police sergeant and former state Rep. Jose Santiago—whose hiring at the high school was called a "controversial move by Mayor William Lantigua

Santiago, whose driver's license is currently suspended, was hired for the $15-per-hour job on Nov. 26—the same day Sapienza was delivered a pink slip signed by Lantigua.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Feel bad for him but I don't see a case here unless there is more to this story. Who they hire to replace I do not see how that helps his claim either.

Also the whole race card bit, no matter the race, will only get you so far.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
It won't bring his wife back but hope he wins big money.

I took FMLA time from a previous job when my mother was dying of cancer. the guidelines are known up front and employers follow them. something is missing from the article, seems pretty vague. the employer is not obligated to hold his position indefinitely. I am sure there was plenty of notice prior to the firing. It's sad his wife died, but the world doesn't revolve around him

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
What poor reporting, I read the article and still have no idea about the particulars of thsi case. I do know that I hate the term "reverse discrimination". There's no such thing. Discrimination is discrimination.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Little more information here...

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...dpw-worker-fired-after-caring-for-dying-wife/

"Sapienza did not qualify for the Family and Medical Leave Act. Because of city imposed layoffs he didn't have the required number of hours even though he didn't want to be paid while he was caring for his dying wife, he just wanted a job to return to."

Sorry I still don't see the case here, and anytime the race card is pulled there should be very clear evidance of it. The city gave more time off than required so they followed the law and still gave him extra time.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Doesn't seem like he has much of a case, but what kind of scum would lay off a man who had to take time off to care for his dying wife to replace him with a criminal?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I could see that happening in my State especially with the douchebag Governor we unfortunately are enduring.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Reverse racial discrimination? Gotta love frivolous lawsuits. I do feel bad for him, and if he was my employee, I'd keep the guy on, but we all have rules to live by.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Doesn't seem like he has much of a case, but what kind of scum would lay off a man who had to take time off to care for his dying wife to replace him with a criminal?
the job's gotta get done... how long can you really expect them to go without hiring a replacement?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Posting in this thread because Atreus21 sniped the 2nd post of a dmcowen thread. Pretty impressive.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
the job's gotta get done... how long can you really expect them to go without hiring a replacement?

It's possible that they may have been able to hire a temp to fill in for the guy while he was caring for his terminally ill wife, although their policies might not have allowed for that.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What does political affiliation have to do with capitalism?

It's a blue state, and the government fired a government worker, and some stupid Democrat (you) blames it on capitalism.

Why does anybody still listen to idiot Democrats? They're as useless as Republicans.

Nov 29, 2006
It's a blue state, and the government fired a government worker, and some stupid Democrat (you) blames it on capitalism.

Why does anybody still listen to idiot Democrats? They're as useless as Republicans.

So what you are saying is capitalism never does something like that? I dont know if i should laugh or feel sorry for you. I think ill do both.

But you are right, Republicans and Democrats are useless. And im neither. Thanks for playing though. Was fun. Next.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So what you are saying is capitalism never does something like that? I dont know if i should laugh or feel sorry for you. I think ill do both.

But you are right, Republicans and Democrats are useless. And im neither. Thanks for playing though. Was fun. Next.

You idiot. This thread isn't about capitalism. It's about the government. Why are you blaming capitalism for an action that the government clearly condones?

Face it, you've been owned in this thread. Take your lumps and move on.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I'm so lost in this thread.

I think it would have been classy for the agency to try and find the guy a new position, but at the same time, I can't really blame them not not leaving a job unfilled for 19 months; it wouldn't exactly be fair to the new guy to get fired just because the original person is coming back to work after almost 2 years off the job.

Last edited: