cisco's ios...How to get one?

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Hello!
I am currently studing for my CCNA exam, but there is a problem.
The router I have is running on a very old -11.0 IOS (I have 2501 series)
I recently have upgraded the memory to 16 Mb so I think that someting like 12.1 will still fit.
Could someone help me out to get the newer release of IOS?
Thanks in advance...

reicherb

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2000
It can be downloaded from the Cisco website.

I think this should work. You need an account to download it.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Quick question:
Right after it boots, the first line says:
System bootstrap, Version 11.0 (10.c)

What is system bootstrap?
It continues to boot, and then it loads 12.0 IOS just fine, but it says 11.0 at the start...
Why?

Edit: sh ver command shows that this bootstrap thing resides in ROM.....

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
don't worry about your bootrom...you're fine.

However stealing software isn't very cool. You purchase the version and feature set you need.

/offsoapbox

if you have any troubles type "show proc cpu" or "show proc mem". you might need to watch your memory, I don't know what image you're running as every version/feature set has its own mem requirements.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
However stealing software isn't very cool. You purchase the version and feature set you need.

Can't do that...
1. This is very old router
2. I don't needed the router for anything more than playing with IOS (read: education).
3. Cisco is going to get my money anyway for CCNA exam (that I am willing to pay), so they better give me some means for me to learn their stuff.
you have any troubles type "show proc cpu" or "show proc mem". you might need to watch your memory, I don't know what image you're running as every version/feature set has its own mem requirements.
Thanks for a tip.
So far the new IOS works perfectly.
I have used this image: c2500-io-l.120-9.bin
It sees to be an image precompiled specifically for 2500 series.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
If you want or need the software, you should pay for it...."Cisco's gonna get my money for the test" is pretty lame as excuses go.

Nobody's holding a gun to your head to get this cert.

One router isn't going to help you that much. Router SIM software would give you a better feel for what you need to know.

The majority of commands you're gonna need for CCNA exist on the version of code you already have.

I'm surprised this thread isn't locked yet because you're trying to obtain bootleg software, something traditionally frowned up on here.

JM.02

Scott

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
If you want or need the software, you should pay for it...."Cisco's gonna get my money for the test" is pretty lame as excuses go.
One router isn't going to help you that much. Router SIM software would give you a better feel for what you need to know.
The majority of commands you're gonna need for CCNA exist on the version of code you already have.
I'm surprised this thread isn't locked yet because you're trying to obtain bootleg software, something traditionally frowned up on here.
JM.02
Scott

Well it is not like I am running Amazon.com off this router. Once again, I am using the software for a legit, educational purposes. AND I have an oldy but goldy CISCO 2820 switch WHICH is running the IOS too...
So overall it is a nice, but older setup which I use for training...
Router SIM software would give you a better feel for what you need to know.
?
:confused:
The router sim is better than a real router?
:confused:

I am not trying to do anything, in fact I already got the 12.0 IOS, which I will use wisely.
I am a small fish, not some huge company. So I can't really afford to blow-off few hundred dollars on a software I will not really use.
Thanks for an encouragement. I have my test scheduled on Friday.
And how the hell can you know?
The situation I am right now requires me to suck-up as much knowledge as I can....

Fatt

Dec 6, 2001

Actually...

Under US copyright law, there are exemptions for what is called "fair use"

We usually encounter that in terms of making copies of music or movies for our own personal use, but it also contains an exemption for educational purposes.

So, to make a copy of copyrighted material for EDUCATIONAL purposes, is perfectly legal.

On a side note, I have a friend at Cisco.
Unofficially, they really don't care about people using bootleg copies of the IOS on obsolete equipment because that is considered to be "seeding" future sales of Cisco products.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
lol
On a side note, I have a friend at Cisco.
Unofficially, they really don't care about people using bootleg copies of the IOS on obsolete equipment because that is considered to be "seeding" future sales of Cisco products.
This is what I was implying...
Thx Fatt

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Educational use doesn't permit stealing. Educational use rights are GRANTED by the owner of the property. fair use doesn't even come into play if you haven't bought it.

Post your friend's name, and we'll find out how Cisco feels about "small fish" stealing their software. I have no doubts in my mind (S)he'd be out the door in a heartbeat. Cisco doesn't like losing ANY money.

One company stealing hundereds of copies is the same as hundreds of people stealing one copy each. With Enterprise versions of the IOS costing over a thousand dollars in many cases, it's stealing a fair amount of profit.

Connecting one router to one switch doesn't do much of anything. A two routers is a good start, at least then you can play "routing protocol" and trunking, and QOS, and traffic shaping, and frame relay PP & MP ....

In that regard, a Router Lab SIM is MUCH better than one router and one switch ... at least you can fake the kind of connectivity and situations you're likely to see on the test. I can GUARANTEE you won't see one router - one switch sim questions on the test.

Save your lame excuses for people that don't know any better.

FWIW

Scott

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Connecting one router to one switch doesn't do much of anything. A two routers is a good start, at least then you can play "routing protocol" and trunking, and QOS, and traffic shaping, and frame relay PP & MP ....
I can get a used 2500 off the ebay for about $150.00, which will do just fine...
And...oh no... I am going to upgrade the IOS on this one as well :p
I AM A BAD person who is a stilling a software from a poor, startup company. :p
Save your lame excuses for people that don't know any better.
And you need to take a chill pill buddy, please take some stuff into perspetive.
I am not really that bad you know...

Santa

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
As you may of notice you won't get too far here on simpathy. By your question and answer you aren't looking for any either but remember you are pissing in the pond that your trying to wade in also so beware of getting some in your own mouth :)

BTW: last I checked my local college doesn't feel that tuition is enough to warrent free books. Damn them their classes cost more than a cisco exam and they expect us to spend more money on books.. grr

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Just let it die...
I don't want to argue about some stupid stuff

Oaf357

Sep 2, 2001
Nice to know other people's money and intellectual property is "stupid sh*t". Now if you could just tell SCO that.

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Wow... this is a though crowd!
Good luck on your exam dude!
Get the certificate and earn some money, then maybe sell more Cisco Routers? LOL

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Get the certificate and earn some money, then maybe sell more Cisco Routers? LOL

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000