Cisco Vs Google

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Hammerhead
Which one let's you shoot nerf guns?

dude did you see J with that rocket launcher yesterday?
man I had no idea Nerf had anything like that.

for you that care nerf has a shoulder firing nerf launcher that shoots missle shaped nerf dart that is about 2 foot long. you pump it up like a bike bump and leter fly.

this thing will shoot a long way.

project of the day we got to get some protection from that thing?

-fish

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: Acanthus
Originally posted by: beer
WHat kind of entry level job at Cisco is 91k? I'm curious. PM me. I'm in the bay area and have haerd of no such thing.

CCIEs are around there.

Quite interested too. My friends have gotten entry jobs at Cisco for ~70k, but 91k is amazing... WoW. If onyl I could come out of college making tha tmoney. That said I pick Cisco over Google. I have too many friends who have gone to Cisco and the work there is 10x easier than working at Google. Then again you kinda expect to be sleeping under your desk when you have a software job. All those figures about American workers wasting 2 hrs a day at work are true when you go to Cisco. Damnnn

Entry level IS $70k-$75k. That's why I asked a bit. Furthermore who _gets_ their CCIE before working at CSCO? $91k is unheard of. Furthermore if the thread says correct, he is a post-grad situation, why bother with a CCIE at all then if you have some sort of MSEE/ete? They're two different paths.

edit: $80k @ google is entry level (bastards!). $91k certainy isn't at csco. Not sure where the $83k figure came from though, maybe I'm only quoting the range for the BSEE/etc degeres

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It wouldn't surprise me if google has more financial benefits than cisco> normally google pays below median but most people get stock options and other goodies.

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
Originally posted by: beer
google pays above median for engineering....

not for CS?

friend just got an offer, $80k + 15% or 30% annual bonus depending on how well google does (he said the last few years have always been 30%).

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
safer bet with cisco, they are much much more stable imo.

Google, who knows how long their run is gonna last

shuttleboi

Jul 5, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: shuttleboi
You do realize that your taxes are about 49% of your income at 110k right?

Where do you get that? If you have a 401K, you can bring that salary down to $100K/year. Looking at the federal and CA tax tables, you would owe $22K and $7K, respectively. That's about $30K of tax from a $100K salary, which is about 33%.

:Q Weren't you just saying the other day that you have a post-graduate degree? :confused:

If he cant figure out the massive tax hit, i would seriously call that into questsion. If you have a post grad degree you should be looking at these tax numbers all the time.

When I was making $95K in CA, my tax hit was 30-33%. That included federal, state, and FICA, but not property tax. I don't know why I should be looking at these numbers all the time as you suggest; I have enough things to deal with, and I'm making enough now to not have to worry about losing money to tax.

shuttleboi

Jul 5, 2004
Originally posted by: vr6
safer bet with cisco, they are much much more stable imo.

Google, who knows how long their run is gonna last

Wrong strategy. If he is young (20s), then this will not be his last job, so long-term stability is not an issue. He should take Google and have it on his resume. If Google is long-term stable, then great, he can stay. If not, it will look great on his resume and will lead to more doors down the road. If I were to see Cisco on a resume, I would say "what kind of networking stuff did you do?" If I were to see Google, I would say "what kind of cool stuff did you do?"

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Google's perks look great on paper. But companies that feed you like that and give you a nice place to work expect you to put in a lot more than your normal 9-5...just bear that in mind.

jpthomas

Jul 16, 2004
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: Syringer
Originally posted by: homercles337
Google in santa monica? I thought the "campus" was in Palo Alto? LA is a pit, of a worthless city. At least SJ is close to SF, but google > cisco.

:thumbsdown:

Santa Monica is a great city.

Santa Monica is a pit in the pit of the pit of humanity. One step from hollywood and two steps from LA is the pit of pits. Especially since he wouldnt be at the main "campus."

You have obviously never been to Santa Monica. It's a GREAT place to live. I've lived in the bay area and currently live in Santa Monica. I can say without a doubt that Santa Monica is a MUCH nicer place to live than San Jose. Although I am not a fan of the "LA area" in general, Santa Monica is pretty much the only place I would live down here. You really don't feel like your in LA at all. You should be able to find a nice rent controlled apartment north of wilshire and the promenade, and be within walking distance of the beach, the promenade, and the google office, which I drive past every day.

That being said, after bonuses and stock options, you'd probably be making more at google anyways.

Not knowing anything else about the jobs, I would hands down pick google.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: chambersc
Google. The pay difference is offset by the diff. in company qualities. Google > cisco.

It sounds like an entry level position so it doesn't matter much.

83k is entry level? That's nuts.

Let's not get into this whole "location" thing again please? just go to salary.com and run the numbers.

That's still not bad. The $91K job there is the same cost of living as $57K here in Mississippi, and that's excellent pay around here.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
i'd pick google. you're young and dont need the stability right now anyways. google should be more exciting

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: jinduy
Originally posted by: fs5
I'd take the cisco job, I wouldn't work at google ever again.

what's wrong with google?
working insane hours with very very competitive engineers (they've got the best of the best) while getting paid below or near average in salary. May sound like fun for a while, but it wears you down quickly.