Cisco Vs Google

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: shuttleboi
Originally posted by: Acanthus
You do realize that your taxes are about 49% of your income at 110k right?

Where do you get that? If you have a 401K, you can bring that salary down to $100K/year. Looking at the federal and CA tax tables, you would owe $22K and $7K, respectively. That's about $30K of tax from a $100K salary, which is about 33%.

Local tax, social security tax, property tax if you own the place you live in.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: shuttleboi
You do realize that your taxes are about 49% of your income at 110k right?

Where do you get that? If you have a 401K, you can bring that salary down to $100K/year. Looking at the federal and CA tax tables, you would owe $22K and $7K, respectively. That's about $30K of tax from a $100K salary, which is about 33%.

:Q Weren't you just saying the other day that you have a post-graduate degree? :confused:

If he cant figure out the massive tax hit, i would seriously call that into questsion. If you have a post grad degree you should be looking at these tax numbers all the time.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Before I entered the thread, not knowing the salary, I'd take the Cisco job. What will you be doing at each company?

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
1. people, culture, and environment
2. room for growth

who cares about 5k here or there. bfd.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
WHat kind of entry level job at Cisco is 91k? I'm curious. PM me. I'm in the bay area and have haerd of no such thing.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: beer
WHat kind of entry level job at Cisco is 91k? I'm curious. PM me. I'm in the bay area and have haerd of no such thing.

CCIEs are around there.

Quite interested too. My friends have gotten entry jobs at Cisco for ~70k, but 91k is amazing... WoW. If onyl I could come out of college making tha tmoney. That said I pick Cisco over Google. I have too many friends who have gone to Cisco and the work there is 10x easier than working at Google. Then again you kinda expect to be sleeping under your desk when you have a software job. All those figures about American workers wasting 2 hrs a day at work are true when you go to Cisco. Damnnn

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: Syringer
Originally posted by: homercles337
Google in santa monica? I thought the "campus" was in Palo Alto? LA is a pit, of a worthless city. At least SJ is close to SF, but google > cisco.

:thumbsdown:

Santa Monica is a great city.

Santa Monica is a pit in the pit of the pit of humanity. One step from hollywood and two steps from LA is the pit of pits. Especially since he wouldnt be at the main "campus."

lol this coming from someone who lives in Assachusettes.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: dr150
My wife is an executive at Cisco. All I can say is that Cisco is a stable company that'll be around. They're developing products for the future and are very financially sound The people that work there are extremely smart. Just last week, my wife interviewed MBAs/PHd.s from the best schools who were at the top of their classes. Only a very few got job offers. The people that leave Cisco always seem to get amazing jobs, which bodes well for its rep./prestige. The hours can get long but it's up to the individual to make things work. Some are workaholics, others take it way easy. The 4 weeks vacation and sabbaticals kick butt. If you're looking for options, forget it. All companies (including Google) are cutting down on this due to accounting expensing. Options only go to the top performers. Moving around within the company is easy of you're ambitious. Some move alot and climb quickly, some stay put and progress slowly due to their lack of ambition or "work to live" mentality. Career education is very good and Cisco helps you pad up your skills to ones desires.

As far as living, anywhere in CA is expensive. Pick your poison. San Jose is spitting distance to great stuff (SF/Bay Area, Tahoe for skiing, Napa, Santa Cruz). Temp is moderate wher you can wear shorts all year long.

Google has a good rep. and Santa Monica works for many people for different reasons.

That's a great situation to be in having offers from these two fine companies. As Bill Gates says, Google is in its "Honeymoon period." It will eventually cool off as Cisco did (when everyone wanted to work for them in the 90's--a lot of multi-millionaires roam the cubes).

But don't think you'll get rich at Google. Option days are over and only those that got in early benefitted. You'll just be an employee. But there still is growth and maybe you can get promoted. I'd check your title out and check for time to promotion.

As some said earlier, Cisco makes stuff (assets). Google is an internet company and it's fortunes could sway faster in the wrong direction as a result (i.e. job security). Ig you have a 5 year "get out" plan, then this aspect doesn't really matter.

Good luck!

Google issues restricted stock along with options as part of compensation.

OP: go with Google. I work at an internet company not far from Google in Santa Monica and it's great. I think the Google office in samo is also very close to the ocean.

You are young. Don't worry about "stability" of Google. They have revenues of $9 billion and EBITDA of $4 billion. That will not all of a sudden disappear. Granted the stock will probably not go up as much anymore each year, but I will bet it will beat CSCO stock in the next 10 years.

Worst case scenario...if by some hand of God Google goes bankrupt in 3 years, you will have it on your resume, and it will be gold. Google is notorious for having only extremely smart people.

Edit:
Also, Google is full of young and like minded people, while Cisco is probably full of older and conservative complacent boring people.

SoLiDus88

Mar 18, 2002
Man... I should move out to cali. The cost of living can't be that great compared to NYC and ive been getting entry level offers in the low 60s (IT at an Ibank)

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: tfinch2
I'm not trying to get into the "location" thing, just surprised by the figure. :roll:

I understand. But people need to realize that this is entry level for Silicon Valley. It's a big reason why people flock there.

OMG!!!! I'll be making 150K!!! WOW, this is great!!! Then you factor in cost of living/housing and realize that peanuts.

I personally know help desk technitians working in NYC and CA making 110K and boy are they struggling.

Unless these people are adults with mortgages on a house and have kids, you don't struggle on 110k in NYC.

gwrober

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005

I've never been exposed to that cost of living shock yet. I've been in South Texas all my life, and making 60k+ a year is pretty much the high life. :p

Where in South Texas are you? I'm in San Antonio.....

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: gwrober

I've never been exposed to that cost of living shock yet. I've been in South Texas all my life, and making 60k+ a year is pretty much the high life. :p

Where in South Texas are you? I'm in San Antonio.....

Lived in San Antonio all my life, now Austin for school.

gwrober

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005

Lived in San Antonio all my life, now Austin for school.

Man, I'd love to live in Austin, but the wife doesn't want to - oh well. Eventually we'll hit the beaches in Florida anyhow.

Has Austin grown much recently? Seems everytime I go, no matter where in Austin I go, I run into a Dell employee...

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Quasmo
I'd take the job at google. Everyone know that Google is probably the #1 place to work for in terms of community, and job creativity.

nah, hammerhead and i have the #1 place to work for in terms of community, and job creativity. google has the #2 spot...

they will not let you blast sirius backspin at google thats why we left..............we now can:D

-fish

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs
If you can't make the decision without help, you're hardly prepared to work for either company.

And if you want us to make the decision for you, you ought to give us a bit more information than company name, salary and location.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Great pay, but that is an extremely expensive place to live, but its also a very nice place. Congrats :beer: