Cisco Vs Google

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
This from the guy who described himself as incompetent in the past. ;)

I only pull out the competent spidey when it is absolutely necessary. Otherwise he stays tightly unrevealed.
;)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: chambersc
Google. The pay difference is offset by the diff. in company qualities. Google > cisco.

It sounds like an entry level position so it doesn't matter much.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
Google. The pay difference is offset by the diff. in company qualities. Google > cisco.

83k is entry level? That's nuts.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: tfinch2

Let's not get into this whole "location" thing again please? just go to salary.com and run the numbers.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004

Let's not get into this whole "location" thing again please? just go to salary.com and run the numbers.

I'm not trying to get into the "location" thing, just surprised by the figure. :roll:

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
My wife is an executive at Cisco. All I can say is that Cisco is a stable company that'll be around. They're developing products for the future and are very financially sound The people that work there are extremely smart. Just last week, my wife interviewed MBAs/PHd.s from the best schools who were at the top of their classes. Only a very few got job offers. The people that leave Cisco always seem to get amazing jobs, which bodes well for its rep./prestige. The hours can get long but it's up to the individual to make things work. Some are workaholics, others take it way easy. The 4 weeks vacation and sabbaticals kick butt. If you're looking for options, forget it. All companies (including Google) are cutting down on this due to accounting expensing. Options only go to the top performers. Moving around within the company is easy of you're ambitious. Some move alot and climb quickly, some stay put and progress slowly due to their lack of ambition or "work to live" mentality. Career education is very good and Cisco helps you pad up your skills to ones desires.

As far as living, anywhere in CA is expensive. Pick your poison. San Jose is spitting distance to great stuff (SF/Bay Area, Tahoe for skiing, Napa, Santa Cruz). Temp is moderate wher you can wear shorts all year long.

Google has a good rep. and Santa Monica works for many people for different reasons.

That's a great situation to be in having offers from these two fine companies. As Bill Gates says, Google is in its "Honeymoon period." It will eventually cool off as Cisco did (when everyone wanted to work for them in the 90's--a lot of multi-millionaires roam the cubes).

But don't think you'll get rich at Google. Option days are over and only those that got in early benefitted. You'll just be an employee. But there still is growth and maybe you can get promoted. I'd check your title out and check for time to promotion.

As some said earlier, Cisco makes stuff (assets). Google is an internet company and it's fortunes could sway faster in the wrong direction as a result (i.e. job security). Ig you have a 5 year "get out" plan, then this aspect doesn't really matter.

Good luck!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'm not trying to get into the "location" thing, just surprised by the figure. :roll:

I understand. But people need to realize that this is entry level for Silicon Valley. It's a big reason why people flock there.

OMG!!!! I'll be making 150K!!! WOW, this is great!!! Then you factor in cost of living/housing and realize that peanuts.

I personally know help desk technitians working in NYC and CA making 110K and boy are they struggling.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004

I understand. But people need to realize that this is entry level for Silicon Valley. It's a big reason why people flock there.

OMG!!!! I'll be making 150K!!! WOW, this is great!!! Then you factor in cost of living/housing and realize that peanuts.

I personally know help desk technitians working in NYC and CA making 110K and boy are they struggling.

I've never been exposed to that cost of living shock yet. I've been in South Texas all my life, and making 60k+ a year is pretty much the high life. :p

gunblade

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2002
In term of Cisco pay scale, 91K is in mid grade 8 pay level.

It is definitely no entry level( grade 6).

This is of course the pay scale in the San Jose campus.

shuttleboi

Jul 5, 2004
I was in a similar position myself a few months ago (and ended up accepting a job at Yahoo).

Cisco and Google are outstanding companies. You cannot make a mistake either way. So it comes down to what you (the OP) want to do. Cisco is obviously a networking company but has been moving to application layer middleware. Google is a search engine company that has lots of cool tools for users. In any case, if you are young, then this will most likely not be your last job, so if I were you, I'd take Google, since the folks there tend to be on the youngish side.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004

How are they struggling making 110k in NYC or CA? What exactly are they spending all that money on?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
How are they struggling making 110k in NYC or CA? What exactly are they spending all that money on?
Housing, food, fuel.

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
Housing, food, fuel.

Nonsense. You can struggle in NYC (manhattan only) on perhaps 50k, but 110k? Keep dreaming.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Housing, food, fuel.

That has to be self-inflicted struggling.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
depends on what you want to do with you life. Google has great benefits. but what are you going to do there?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: amdforever2
Cisco makes tangible things and it's more money.
Google is the most overrated company in history I think.

(a little background/ credibility: I work for a prominent investment bank)

Looking at the economics forecast for the next couple years, I'd go with CSCO. Advertising takes a LARGE hit during economics slowdowns, so Id be weary of working for a company that makes money by selling ads. CSCO business is somewhat cyclical (on the hardware sales front), but the hedge themselves pretty well with support contracts and other non-inventory sales.

We've had an inverted yield curve for a good part of the year, the credit spreads have been getting larger as statistically we're due in for a slowdown (the cycle averages around 5 years).

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

Bulsh!t,
I know many, many people making less than that in NYC (living in manhattan) that have no problems what so ever.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I'm a HW guy, so I would pick Cisco. And the Google bubble will have to burst sooner or later.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Lifted
Housing, food, fuel.

Nonsense. You can struggle in NYC (manhattan only) on perhaps 50k, but 110k? Keep dreaming.

You do realize that your taxes are about 49% of your income at 110k right?

You can easily blow 30k/year on an average apt/condo in manhattan.

shuttleboi

Jul 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Where do you get that? If you have a 401K, you can bring that salary down to $100K/year. Looking at the federal and CA tax tables, you would owe $22K and $7K, respectively. That's about $30K of tax from a $100K salary, which is about 33%.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: shuttleboi
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Where do you get that? If you have a 401K, you can bring that salary down to $100K/year. Looking at the federal and CA tax tables, you would owe $22K and $7K, respectively. That's about $30K of tax from a $100K salary, which is about 33%.

:Q Weren't you just saying the other day that you have a post-graduate degree? :confused:

shuttleboi

Jul 5, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: shuttleboi
That's about $30K of tax from a $100K salary, which is about 33%.

:Q Weren't you just saying the other day that you have a post-graduate degree? :confused:

What part of about don't you understand? :)