Cisco Vs Google

groo028

Mar 24, 2005
If you had a job offer from Cisco (in san jose, paying ~91k) and Google (in santa monica, paying ~83k) which would you choose and why?

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Google in santa monica? I thought the "campus" was in Palo Alto? LA is a pit, of a worthless city. At least SJ is close to SF, but google > cisco.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I'd take the job at google. Everyone know that Google is probably the #1 place to work for in terms of community, and job creativity.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
If you can't make the decision without help, you're hardly prepared to work for either company.

And if you want us to make the decision for you, you ought to give us a bit more information than company name, salary and location.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: homercles337
Google in santa monica? I thought the "campus" was in Palo Alto? LA is a pit, of a worthless city. At least SJ is close to SF, but google > cisco.

:thumbsdown:

Santa Monica is a great city.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Google. Since they are taking over the world you want to be on the "right" side when the fighting starts. :evil:

Sep 29, 2004
Tough one.

What are the exact positions?

When I think Cisco, I think embedded systems

When I think Google, I htink 99% web development with 1% cool work.

What do you want to do with your life because if you don't like the job you choose, your resume is going put you on a certain track. YOu can get out of it ... but you might have to go get your masters or something.

<= software engineer doing Java ap dev and embedded work.

Sep 29, 2004

True, and in San Jose, you get the San Jose Sharks!!!!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Cisco - because of the options/stability. Plus the conferences are filled with beer. I like beer.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Syringer

:thumbsdown:

Santa Monica is a great city.

Santa Monica is a pit in the pit of the pit of humanity. One step from hollywood and two steps from LA is the pit of pits. Especially since he wouldnt be at the main "campus."

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
google

cisco = full of themselves

Google can't get basic load balancing right (gmail). I view them as incompetent. I wouldn't work for an incompetent company.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
another BS 'n' bragging thread. Like he got job offers and he knows nothing about companies and his position, all he knows is their names.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
google

cisco = full of themselves

Google can't get basic load balancing right (gmail). I view them as incompetent. I wouldn't work for an incompetent company.

This from the guy who described himself as incompetent in the past. ;)

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Google. The pay difference is offset by the diff. in company qualities. Google > cisco.

amdforever2

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2002
Cisco makes tangible things and it's more money.

Google is the most overrated company in history I think.

Then again, my homepage has been Yahoo.com for ten years.

esun

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Cisco's a nice place to work. I'm perhaps biased, having interned there (and intending to continue next summer), but still, I can say that Cisco is one of the best companies to work for according to Fortune magazine (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2006/). I'm sure both jobs would be good, but personally I like San Jose better than Santa Monica, I like both companies in terms of what they do, and job stability is almost definitely good at either. The extra money and location would swing me in favor of Cisco.