Cigarette butt deposit...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I remember some rumblings a year or so ago about Maryland trying to pass this. It basically works like a bottle deposit. You pay an extra $.05 per cigarette, so an extra $1.00 a pack, and get that money refunded when you turn in the butts. It's point was double purposed -

1. try and reduce the amount of cigarette butts thrown on the ground
2. find a way to make money off of cigarettes without imposing a so called "sin tax". It's a deposit, not a tax.

Worst thing is the poor bastard that has to staff the "butt redemption center" and count them. But, pay a college kid enough, and they'll do anything :D

Would you support something like this?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
as long as i don't have to touch the 'butts' i have no problem with it.

J3anyus

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2001
It'd probably work, but it'd be a real pain in the ass. Imagine having to save the butt whenever you smoke a cigarette and then go take them to some disposal center.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: J3anyus
It'd probably work, but it'd be a real pain in the ass. Imagine having to save the butt whenever you smoke a cigarette and then go take them to some disposal center.

You could just put it out and stick it back in the box.

Or the cigarette companies could make containers for them built into the cigarette box.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I really thought that it was an innovative way of cleaning up the ground and generating revenue myself. The state was banking on the fact that many people wouldn't take the time/energy to return them, butt(hahah) you'll have the scavengers that are out there picking them up and redeming them. You don't make as much money as you would with a flat tax on it, but it's a much more consistent way of doing it like beer and pop.

I thought it was pretty cool.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8
Originally posted by: J3anyus

You could just put it out and stick it back in the box.

Or the cigarette companies could make containers for them built into the cigarette box.

nah, that won't work. when you put a partially smoked cig (or a butt) in with fresh ones, they get the smell & taste of the butt, and dry out. ew.

basically need to have a ziplock bag in your pocket. But I don't really want to go around stinking like a damn ashtray, you know.

my smokes are biodegradeable (sp?) anyways...

joeryu

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
you know thats a really great idea. win win situation if you ask me. if people still throw the butts away, more revenue from the taxes. if they turn them in...cleaner streets.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Yet another way for people to make money... You could pick up cig butts all day and make 5 cents a piece off them, and they will likely be much easier to find than cans/bottles.

My question is that when you turn the butts in, who has to count them?

Ryan