Question Chromecast Uses All my Bandwidth When Idle

ParatoOptimal

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2004
I connected a Chromecast to my TV. I had to do an update straight out of the box. I forget if I had to let it access my WiFi router to update or if I DLed something to my laptop and cast it to the device. When done, I cast a video to it from my laptop and found it to be jittery and experienced freeze-ups. I didn't touch it for several months after that. I never streamed from the Internet to it through my router.

One day I had no Internet. I called my ISP and they told me something was using 99% of my bandwidth. I disconnected the Chromecast which freed-up all my bandwidth. What was going on?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2009
I connected a Chromecast to my TV. I had to do an update straight out of the box. I forget if I had to let it access my WiFi router to update or if I DLed something to my laptop and cast it to the device. When done, I cast a video to it from my laptop and found it to be jittery and experienced freeze-ups. I didn't touch it for several months after that. I never streamed from the Internet to it through my router.

One day I had no Internet. I called my ISP and they told me something was using 99% of my bandwidth. I disconnected the Chromecast which freed-up all my bandwidth. What was going on?

Thanks

Your ISP are likely morons.....
Seriously standard operating procedure for an isp to blame someone else for their slow speeds. I had fios tell me my nest thermostat was using too much band width. Funny how a new router fixed the problem.
I have no idea what your up and down internet speeds are but assume you need minimum 10mb per TV that is streaming. Minimum, 20mb is a safer assumption.
Check:
What else and who else is on your network
Is something running that interferes with your WiFi like a microwave
Is the slow stream from the same source
Is the laptop free of malware and such
How fast is your network connection on your laptop

ParatoOptimal

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2004
Router is 802.11n. No microwave running. Nothing else connected to network. I think very slow service for a few days before I called Verizon. They said something was using all my bandwidth. I have very limited bandwidth to begin with. I forget what made me or the tech think it could be the Chromecast. I disconnected it and all my bandwidth became available. Winbloze AV tells me there's no malware on my laptop. This happened long ago this year.

Note, recently I again had terrible Internet service. Verizon again said something was connecting to the Internet on my network using all my bandwidth. I was the only one on my network. I was ripping one of my DVD's with DVDFab. I shut down DVDFab and all my bandwidth became available. I've noticed very slow Internet a few times and Yahoo email says "No Internet" while DVDFab is running. I'l disconnect the laptop running DVDFab form my WiFi network and I'll have better Internet service on another laptop.

Thanks

Feb 4, 2009
Router is 802.11n. No microwave running. Nothing else connected to network. I think very slow service for a few days before I called Verizon. They said something was using all my bandwidth. I have very limited bandwidth to begin with. I forget what made me or the tech think it could be the Chromecast. I disconnected it and all my bandwidth became available. Winbloze AV tells me there's no malware on my laptop. This happened long ago this year.

Note, recently I again had terrible Internet service. Verizon again said something was connecting to the Internet on my network using all my bandwidth. I was the only one on my network. I was ripping one of my DVD's with DVDFab. I shut down DVDFab and all my bandwidth became available. I've noticed very slow Internet a few times and Yahoo email says "No Internet" while DVDFab is running. I'l disconnect the laptop running DVDFab form my WiFi network and I'll have better Internet service on another laptop.

Thanks

is this a wireless connection as in a phone or a mobile hot spot?