Chromeboxes

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Are these things dead?

Looking for a cheap, easy to use, easier to maintain system for my grandfather, who is 92 and wants $0 spent on him. He has an iMac from forever ago that is long off of Apple's support list. The main use is looking for recipes and printing them.

So, Chromeboxes look like the perfect device. But, it looks like the things haven't been updated with new hardware since the initial release of them back a couple-few years ago. Anyone have recent experience with one like the Asus M004U? Is the performance still sufficient?

I don't think he'd be interested in a Chromebook (even if it was just stationary and plugged in to a monitor all the time).

A Chromebase may be good but selection looks even worse than the Chromeboxes

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Chromebooks seem to be where the interest is, especially for K12 education, and typically managed by the school district.

I wonder with years-old box models whether Google will stop updating the browser in them? But I haven't researched that.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
yeah, chromebooks keep being updated. but it looks like the drives, at least on the cheap side, are emmc and the processors are jumped up tablet processors, at least until you get up a couple price segments.

but by that point i'm better off just getting a used imac

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I had one that I put linux on. My dad wanted a small computer for web browsing with his tv. The thing worked ok but to be honest the processor was not all that great for web browsing. I think the total cost was around $200 but can't remember.

(oops; this was for a chromebox not chromebook if you remember those things).