chromebook with most android app compatibility

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
title says it all.
even with a basic android tablet like Amazon Fire 10 or premium like Nvidia Shield, some apps are not available in the Play Store OR refuses to work. ie Amcrest View Pro.
How can i tell which chromebook has the most compatibility without doing any hacks?

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Not sure what Amcrest View Pro has for requirements. But for Chromebooks the version of Android it is running may go a long way in indicating how compatible it is with Android. Looks like most Chromebooks with Android support are either running Android 7 or Android 9. Couldn't find a list that shows breaks down Android support on all Chromebooks. So you'd need to do research on the model you are interested in to find out how up to date it is with Android.

This article is worth a read. It talks about the new way Google will be supporting Android on Chromes with ARCVM, an Android virtual machine. This change will be coming in Android 11 (looks like Chrome OS may skip every other version of Android) and it mentions a few models of Chromebook like the Lenovo Duet that are slated to get this. But will even this run every Android app that an Android phone does, I can't say.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
the amcrest app lets me view all the ip cameras in the house. sadly it's only on phone or tablet. would be nice if i can somehow hook an android device to the big TV to see all the cams at once. The NVR itself is in the basement and i am too lazy to run a long hdmi cord.
i looked at your link. cant believe that Asus is $1000. all this time i thought chromebook was suppose to be disposable for $300 or much lesser than that.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
You need to stay away from intel / x86 chromebooks. Sure they are faster but some of the apps do not work on x86. (Even though it would be super easy now a days to port them, lots of developers do not want to do minor work to support such a marginal amount of marketshare.)