Chromebook question and storage

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Please correct me if I'm wrong:

AFAIK, Chromebooks are designed to store user data in the cloud. They store it locally too (where possible) but with a view to sync'ing with the user's Google account. If someone has >15GB of photos, they can't just be stored locally, so therefore the user would need to be paying Google for extra cloud storage (as Google charges for more than 15GB of user data in a Google account).

I imagine that one can get around the "can't be stored locally" rule by say storing the photos on USB/MicroSD, but that complicates matters enough that the user needs to be sufficiently competent to handle and back up their data with confidence.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Please correct me if I'm wrong:

AFAIK, Chromebooks are designed to store user data in the cloud. They store it locally too (where possible) but with a view to sync'ing with the user's Google account. If someone has >15GB of photos, they can't just be stored locally, so therefore the user would need to be paying Google for extra cloud storage (as Google charges for more than 15GB of user data in a Google account).

I imagine that one can get around the "can't be stored locally" rule by say storing the photos on USB/MicroSD, but that complicates matters enough that the user needs to be sufficiently competent to handle and back up their data with confidence.

I'm sure you can store images locally but how much will depend on how good your Chromebook is / how much storage it has.

The cheapest Chromebooks will be severely limited but a better model should work just like Windows. Store wherever you have room.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
You got 100GB cloud storage.

My phone came with a trial for Google One, this seems to be the same thing. I don't know about you, but IMO lending someone 100GB storage is akin to a drug dealer saying, "the first taste is for free", because it's designed to promote dependency.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
My phone came with a trial for Google One, this seems to be the same thing. I don't know about you, but IMO lending someone 100GB storage is akin to a drug dealer saying, "the first taste is for free", because it's designed to promote dependency.

That's why NAS is getting popular. 😁

Google is becoming next MS and just want to own you. 😒

I'm not getting any cloud based devices either.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I've had an HP chromebook for over a year. It had a Celeron N4020, 4GB of ram and 32GB HDD. I use it as a web browser. I have had no storage issues with it.