Chrome searches redirecting

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, hopefully it is.

A few days ago I've had an issue where I do a search in Chrome and instead of a Google search it redirects to some "Informationvine" nonsense. I can't seem to get it to stop. I've done the following:

Reset browser to default settings
Scanned with AVG
Tried Malwarebytes
Tried CCleaner
There was some other tool by Sophos that I tried and it did not work, so I uninstalled it

I am at a loss. It is really annoying. I'm sure it's a simple fix or I'm just overlooking something. Anyone have any ideas?

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Thank you for putting this in the correct forum. Unfortunatly, none of those seemed to have worked. Hitman Pro was the Sophos one I had tried, and Zemana did not do the trick either.

I wonder if it's an extension causing the problem? I'll see if I can find out anything else that may be useful.

EDIT

It is looking very likely that the extension "Youtube Queue" was at fault. When it was disabled I had no problems. I enabled it again and the redirect returned. I have now removed the extension and will see if that is indeed the fix.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It is looking very likely that the extension "Youtube Queue" was at fault. When it was disabled I had no problems. I enabled it again and the redirect returned. I have now removed the extension and will see if that is indeed the fix.

That is one I've never heard of before, so I would looked at that one a little closer as well.

The article gave several different names Informationvine installs under, so I would go through your Windows apps / Chrome extensions to look for anything else that looks like it doesn't belong.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
That is one I've never heard of before, so I would looked at that one a little closer as well.

The article gave several different names Informationvine installs under, so I would go through your Windows apps / Chrome extensions to look for anything else that looks like it doesn't belong.

The only other extensions I have are ublock and Sessionbuddy. I've combed through my programs ans everthing there looks legitimate. Guess I'll know soon enough if that was the culprit, but it sure looks like it.

Reactions: UsandThem