Chrome RAM use

Vegasus

Jul 27, 2016
On my gaming PC I typically keep Chrome open with a lot of tabs. This eats up a lot of RAM, says Chrome's Task Manager. I want to be able to launch a RAM-heavy game without first having to close all those tabs, only to have to reopen them later.

If I launch a game that needs more RAM than is available will Chrome automatically flush the contents of those tabs from RAM to make room for the game, while remembering that the tabs are open so I can quickly revisit them after the game?

Short of closing tabs, does Chrome have any settings to use less RAM? Can I limit the number of tabs it keeps fresh in RAM, forcing it to reload them more often?

Is it possible to efficiently bookmark all the tabs I normally keep open? I haven't done this because bookmarking in Chrome is a lot more cumbersome than keeping tabs open.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Just because it is a computer, does not mean it can do things that it is not designed to do.

Reactions: Muadib

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If I launch a game that needs more RAM than is available will Chrome automatically flush the contents of those tabs from RAM to make room for the game, while remembering that the tabs are open so I can quickly revisit them after the game?

Short of closing tabs, does Chrome have any settings to use less RAM? Can I limit the number of tabs it keeps fresh in RAM, forcing it to reload them more often?
I believe that the newest Firefox has the ability to "flush" tabs, when Firefox's RAM footprint gets too large, or approaches available RAM, and keep them "open", such that when you click on them again, they "reload".

Short of that, make sure that you have a pagefile device of adequate size and performance, like an Optane or fast NVMe M.2 SSD.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I know with Firefox it's possible to bookmark groups of tabs. It's done by creating a new bookmark folder and adding the bookmarks to that folder. Then you can go to the folder and right click the folder and choose "open all in tabs".

I found this add-on that might help. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg?hl=en

You can also choose which tabs open on start. Scroll down a bit. https://www.howtogeek.com/287721/the-complete-guide-to-mastering-tabs-in-google-chrome/