Chrome Opens When I Open Gmail. . .Why?

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Did a clean install of Windows 10 on a new laptop. I prefer not to use the mail app that comes with 10. Instead I stick with Gmail and placed the icon on the taskbar and it works as it should. But every time I open Gmail, Chrome also opens a new tab to my homepage. It did this with the original set up from Dell and it is happening again after the clean install. I'm guessing there's a Chrome setting somewhere that needs to be adjusted.
Anyone? Thank you.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What do you mean by this "Instead I stick with Gmail and placed the icon on the taskbar and it works as it should"?

If you aren't using your web browser, what are you using? an app?

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
What I was trying to say in my garbled English was that even though I am using Windows 10, for retrieving my emails I prefer to use Gmail directly rather than using the Mail app that is included with 10. So after placing the Gmail icon on the taskbar, every time I click on it, not only does Gmail open but Chrome also opens to my home page.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
From the Gmail app I went to More Tools>Add to desktop>pin to taskbar.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Gotcha. An app. Can you send us a link to the download? Or the name? Seems like I got a couple hits last time I Googled that.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
It is a "Web App". It is just a chrome shortcut to gmail, but it is supposed to make a dedicated window without the chrome menus/tabs. Just follow the instructions OP listed on a website and it will make an "app" out of the page.

Update to Chrome 57 (not sure if this matters). Open your apps, chrome://apps. Right click on your gmail app and select "Open as Window". It should now behave how I think you want it to.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Just open: https://mail.google.com in whatever web browser you want to use it in and make a Bookmark for .. Then put the shortcut for the bookmark on your toolbar or desktop. It should just open Gmail at that point