• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Chrome issue

A///

Member
Feb 24, 2017
101
21
61
For the last month or two, sometimes when I start Chrome, regardless of whether I just started my computer up or hours later, it won't load. It'll open several processes, shoot the CPU to 100% utilization, and cause the computer to stutter. I either wait it out and let Chrome serve me a kill process window or do it myself. Other times, it'll start without issue.

Steps I've taken.

1. Manually made new profile and inherited old data by way of simply signing on; Sync.
2. Disabled all extensions in addition to step 1. No bueno.
3. Uninstalled and removed any and old traces of Google products. No bueno.
4. Other Chromium browsers behave similarly at times.

I've tried researching this issue for weeks. I've had trouble finding the root cause. I've gotten no real help from Reddit's r/chrome community or the Chromium bug tracker. The people there couldn't figure out what was going on even with resource monitor open in a screencast they had me make. This problem seems to be show up on other computers I own. This leads me to believe Google pushed out questionable code and doesn't want to admit they messed up.
 

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
15,353
93
91
Sounds to me like you have a virus or something. Chrome works fine for me and many others.
 

A///

Member
Feb 24, 2017
101
21
61
Sounds to me like you have a virus or something. Chrome works fine for me and many others.
Rkill, MBAM Pro, ran AVAST deep span including rootkit and boot scan, etc. Nothing is coming up. The fact the issue is showing up on multiple computers including my MBP leads me to believe otherwise. Even my work computer is having the same issue.

It's affecting Chrome, Chrome Beta, Canary, Dragon, but not Vivaldi or Opera. Farbar and Combofix brought up no issues. The issue shows up in a clean install of Windows 7, too. Thinking my SSD was the culprit, I installed Windows again on a new SSD I'd gotten on sale a month ago and the issue persisted. This is with no other drives connected during install and using W7 to limit any issues.


The only culprit I can think of is running virtualization software or pushing my RAM usage of available resources near the 70-85% range.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS