Chrome issue

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Chrome can be a frustrating browser, somewhat problematic. But there's this one issue.

I can have a lot of tabs open, and want to keep them - they can be reminder of things etc.

It's already frustrating enough that if I shut down Windows in software, Chrome loses all the tabs.

Only if I 'crash' the PC - a blue screen or power cycle - does it offer to 'restore pages' when I restart it.

Recently I found an option that seemed to address this: right click the Chrome window and there's a 'restore closed tab' option. I did it and it re-opened all the tabs. Nice.

Lately, it's sometime not offering the option even when I DO power off, which is when I found that option above. It just happened again.

But the second time I tried to do it, it simply re-opened one tab I actually had closed - each click, one more tab I'd closed. But it had no way to re-open the tabs actually open when I powered off.

Any ideas, either why some power-offs don't get the option to restore, or how to restore them?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If Chrome has the ability to re-open tabs upon re-start, there should be an option buried somewhere in the settings.

I known that Firefox has had that option, nearly forever. I use it all the time. Maybe it's time to switch to Firefox? Chrome's a bloated pig of a browser anyways, when it comes to RAM.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I rarely use Chrome but go to Settings - On Startup and try ticking Continue where you left off.

Also, if you go click those 3 dots on the top right side of the browser and hover over History I see where I can click click 2 tabs or 3 tabs under Recently Closed. They will open the tabs I had during my last session. I was only playing around so that's why I have 2 or 3. You will probably have more. I also didn't try restarting the machine so YMMV.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I have experienced the same problem earlier. Try this, hope it works:Enter the keyboard shortcut Windows key + E to open Windows Explorer.then Windows Explorer window that appears, enter the following in the address bar. Windows:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\
Locate the folder called "Default" in the directory window that opens and rename it as "Backup default."then Try opening Google Chrome again. A new Default folder is automatically created as you start using the browser.

What is that to solve?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well, this sucks. I thought the issue was solved, and just shut down the system thinking I'd get my dozens of tabs back. When I restarted, it popped up asking whether to restore the tabs, I clicked to restore, and nothing happened. The ctrl-shift-t only opens one old tab at a time, and it doesn't look like the ones I had open. They all appear to be totally lost.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I have a theory - because I started using this addon that 'shuts down' tabs from using memory until I refresh them, maybe Chrome didn't know about the tabs anymore to re-open them?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, I personally don't use these addons. ;)

If your Chrome keep crashing, maybe some files/folders were corrupted.

Uninstall Chrome, run CCleaner & CHKDSK, then reinstall Chrome.

==

Chrome has a Startup option.

x02_ch_selecting_continue_where_you_left_off.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.G1W99QN4xw.png

Last edited:

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I don’t have any add ons for Chrome and it behaves inconsistently with tabs. Sometimes when I restart it will ask if I want to restore them. Sometimes it won’t ask and I have to go into history to restore them manually.

With Firefox I used to use an add on that would save all the tabs and automatically restore them. Not sure if something like that is available for Chrome.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don’t have any add ons for Chrome and it behaves inconsistently with tabs. Sometimes when I restart it will ask if I want to restore them. Sometimes it won’t ask and I have to go into history to restore them manually.

That's the thing.

It did ask and then did not restore them, and then it wouldn't even restore them manually, as it did before the add-on. So I suspect that's breaking the restore.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well, I personally don't use these addons. ;)

If your Chrome keep crashing, maybe some files/folders were corrupted.

Uninstall Chrome, run CCleaner & CHKDSK, then reinstall Chrome.

==

Chrome has a Startup option.

x02_ch_selecting_continue_where_you_left_off.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.G1W99QN4xw.png

It's not crashing - it's when I turn the PC off and back on.

I actually have the setting you show selected. So something it breaking the tab restore, I suspect the add-on.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
if you prefer chrome give slimjet a try
https://www.slimjet.com/
it's lighter and has built in functionality like youtube video grabber, tab recorder, ad blocker and a segmented download manager(like DTA).
I've been using it as my chrome browser for the last 5 years or so. I haven't noticed the issues described here.