Christians: Christianity is a cult.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: RadeonGuy
GO FVCK YOURSELF AND GO TOSS YOUR DADS SALAD
This "person" most emphatically does _NOT_ speak for the rest of us Christians.

RadeonGuy, you really need to think things over and adopt a more mature posture. "People" like yourself are the main reason that Christianity catches the flack that it does. Calm down, realise that you should be ashamed of your post, and resolve to handle things better in the future, OK?

ZV

I don't take any one person as a representative of a group, unless that group officially presents that person as an official representative. :)

Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
by your definition, i dont think they are "generally considered" extremeist or false. you arent alone in that belief, but i would not say it is the prevailing "general" opinion. so, not a cult.

That's dictionary.com's definition, not mine.
then why did you post the defintion if it doesnt apply to your argument?

It does apply to my argument. I did not write it.
then what is your argument? how do you justify your claim? might as well remove the definition

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Fuckoff and die you stupid wise and beautiful woman.
You had a chance to be the mature person and you blew it. Congratulations.

ZV

I'm mature at work. I don't have to be mature when I'm just having a bit of fun.

I thought I did well enough by not saying anything bad about Christianity.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
The problem with Christianity is that the extremists claim to hide under the same blanket as all other Christians. So it becomes difficult to argue against the extremists without insulting the better Christians in the world.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
by your definition, i dont think they are "generally considered" extremeist or false. you arent alone in that belief, but i would not say it is the prevailing "general" opinion. so, not a cult.

That's dictionary.com's definition, not mine.
then why did you post the defintion if it doesnt apply to your argument?

It does apply to my argument. I did not write it.
then what is your argument? how do you justify your claim? might as well remove the definition

Read the definition, it is my argument. I only said it wasn't my definition because I did not read it and wanted to give proper credit.

May 31, 2001

RadeonGuy, you really need to think things over and adopt a more mature posture. "People" like yourself are the main reason that Christianity catches the flack that it does. Calm down, realise that you should be ashamed of your post, and resolve to handle things better in the future, OK?

ZV

Did RadeonGuy say somewhere that he was a Christian?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Connoisseur
ehh with that definition ANY religion is a cult. The only thing that separates a cult from any other faith is that they don't agree with the mainstream at the time.

That's my point, all religions are cults. So excluding one is stupid.

So back in the middle ages, atheism would be a cult? I swear, some days people say such stupid stuff I think the human race should be wiped off the face of the earth.:roll:

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven

ZV

Did RadeonGuy say somewhere that he was a Christian?

No, but it was a stupid post. I hate it when people use all CAPS. :p

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak
You have a point other than posting flamebait?

Yes. Christianity is a cult.

What are your thoughts on Islam? How about Buddhism? How about those that serve Cthulhu? :p

All cults.

So why single out Christianity in your title, other than figuring to cause the biggest flame war?

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
It seems like this thread will never be anything but a "source of confrontation and continued disruptions." If the mods really think their main duty "is to make sure these forums run smoothly," then you should get at least a warning and lock if not a ban and lock.

But you're an "Elite" member, so I'm guessing they won't do anything to you. A double standard? I guess we'll see...

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: jagec
ehh with that definition ANY religion is a cult. The only thing that separates a cult from any other faith is that they don't agree with the mainstream at the time.

So back in the middle ages, atheism would be a cult? I swear, some days people say such stupid stuff I think the human race should be wiped off the face of the earth.:roll:

It fits this definition (IMO):
Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak
You have a point other than posting flamebait?

Yes. Christianity is a cult.

What are your thoughts on Islam? How about Buddhism? How about those that serve Cthulhu? :p

All cults.

So why single out Christianity in your title, other than figuring to cause the biggest flame war?

Because Christianity was the inspiration for the thread.

Nov 7, 2000
according to your definition, christianity does not meet the criteria of a cult bc it is not widely perceived as extremist or false

i dont know why you would post such directly contradictory material to your stance

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This isn't an argument, but it is a means to start one. Must be badly in need of amusement.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: EpsiIon
It seems like this thread will never be anything but a "source of confrontation and continued disruptions." If the mods really think their main duty "is to make sure these forums run smoothly," then you should get at least a warning and lock if not a ban and lock.

Why a ban? There have been abusive anti-religion threads that made it through. My thread is neither abusive, nor anti-religious.

But you're an "Elite" member, so I'm guessing they won't do anything to you. A double standard? I guess we'll see...

I can tell you now, there _is_ a double standard. Who questions that fact?

Aug 14, 2001

It depends on what you mean by 'generally considered'. The majority of the world will consider each religion to be false as there are many believes in DIFFERENT religions all thinking that the other religion is wrong and false. Therefore Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. can be considered cults.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Fuckoff and die you stupid wise and beautiful woman.
You had a chance to be the mature person and you blew it. Congratulations.

ZV
I'm mature at work. I don't have to be mature when I'm just having a bit of fun.

I thought I did well enough by not saying anything bad about Christianity.
Point conceded. It's definitely more fun to reply in kind when someone's as far off base as he was. :)

ZV

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: EpsiIon

Never, ever count on the mods to be rational. They are not. They serve their own beliefs and purposes.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
according to your definition, christianity does not meet the criteria of a cult bc it is not widely perceived as extremist or false

i dont know why you would post such directly contradictory material to your stance

Read:

A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
The object of such devotion.

All of these fit just about every religion.

May 31, 2001

So Mac owners are cult members? ;)

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

So Mac owners are cult members? ;)

:laugh: